• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    My son is turning 12 this week and the wife and I have been thinking about getting him a nice quality knife for his birthday. He likes being outdoors and working on little projects, and I think he's responsible enough to own one. That said I'm not terribly familiar with the world of knives and while I don't want to get him a $400 piece of steel, I do want it to be something that won't break and that he can hang on to for a long time. I was thinking you knife snobs (;)) might have some good suggestions. The intended purpose will generally be "things 12 year old boys like to do." He has a decent amount of wooded areas to play in. Any recommendations for someone who's pretty clueless like myself?

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    IMO, A Mora, great little fixed blade that won't cost you an arm or a leg. Good quality for under $25.00. You won't chop through jungles or chop down trees with one, but it is perfect for a young man to hone up on his bush crafting skills while out on his adventures in the woods. :twocents:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My first knife that my Dad gave me was a 3 blade John Primble pocket knife. Gave it to my son when he got up about that age.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    A nice folder or lockblade would be good for a first knife. My grandad gave me my first knife. A handy and dependable "Old Timer". But anything like an Old Timer (if you can find one, Flea market etc.) up to a medium sized Swiss Army Knife, a nice Buck, Schrade etc. If this is to be a first knife for a young man with no knife experience, I would keep the blade length at or under 3 1/2 in.

And if it is a folder or lockblade make sure that he remembers to ALWAYS PUT IT AWAY BEFORE BED. That way he won't forget that it is in his pocket and "accidentally" take it to school. If he gets caught with it there he may never see it again. The PC types today are REAL arzholes completely devoid of a sense of humor or young boys. (Don't get me started on the pussification of our culture)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Nothing is better then a good old fashion Swiss Army knife

I disagree. I find Swiss Army knives perform multiple tasks poorly, but none well.

I second the Mora as a good starter knive. You might also consider an Izula or Izula 2. They can be found for ~$50 and carry ESSE's "no bs" lifetime warranty.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    And if it is a folder or lockblade make sure that he remembers to ALWAYS PUT IT AWAY BEFORE BED. That way he won't forget that it is in his pocket and "accidentally" take it to school. If he gets caught with it there he may never see it again. The PC types today are REAL arzholes completely devoid of a sense of humor or young boys. (Don't get me started on the pussification of our culture)
    I grew up in the beginning of this. I remember being terrified for an entire day in 6th grade because I realized my Swiss Army knife was in my pocket. I was certain I'd go to prison if caught. I even called my mom from the pay phone during lunch and she told me to keep my mouth shut about it and carry on.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I disagree. I find Swiss Army knives perform multiple tasks poorly, but none well. .

I disagree with you. I think the standard Swiss Cadet is a handy little bottle opener/box cutter. Not to great of a can opener but it works in a pinch. No it isn't a great woods knife but for an everyday user/beater it's not to bad. I had one on my key chain for a 5 years until the key loop broke off then I carried it in my pocket until the handles fell off. Eventually it got so beat up it would hardly open and the blade was worn badly. For what I used it for it was great. Not to mention it was free because I found it on the sidewalk.

For a first woods knife Mora would make a nice starter.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hard to beat the old boy scouts of America knife. 4 blades, one knife, one awl, one bottle opener with screwdriver end and one can opener(works like a P-38) Well made, I still have one from 1964.

Be aware, things are not like the old days. Your boy will be in big trouble for having it at school or other youth events. Even your neighbors may get silly. I had a neighbor call the cops on me because I was letting my 10 year old son try to carve a totem pole out of a 4 X 4 post IN MY BACK YARD! and that was 23 years ago.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I disagree with you. I think the standard Swiss Cadet is a handy little bottle opener/box cutter. Not to great of a can opener but it works in a pinch. No it isn't a great woods knife but for an everyday user/beater it's not to bad. I had one on my key chain for a 5 years until the key loop broke off then I carried it in my pocket until the handles fell off. Eventually it got so beat up it would hardly open and the blade was worn badly. For what I used it for it was great. Not to mention it was free because I found it on the sidewalk.

For a first woods knife Mora would make a nice starter.

I disagreed with the "nothing is better than" statement. I still have that Swiss Army Camper that was in my pocket in 6th grade. It resides in my tackle box. I've simply found better tools for my knife work tasks. Disagreeing with "nothing is better" is a far cry from thinking nothing is worse. This thread is about a woods knife for a 12 year old.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I disagreed with the "nothing is better than" statement. I've simply found better tools for my knife work tasks. Disagreeing with "nothing is better" is a far cry from thinking nothing is worse. This thread is about a woods knife for a 12 year old.

Understood and agreed.

Mora or ESSE would be a great starter knife for any boy.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    My vote is for a Case knife. American made & will last forever, if taken care of. I have a no-frills sod-buster that was passed down from my grandfather. It is a Case brand folder that his dad gave to him in 1940. It has a lot of wear, But still holds a razor sharp edge. One of my faves!:)

View attachment 21073

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Since he is young and there is a strong possibility he could lose it I wouldn't get to crazy with it and I'm one of those knife snobs you talk about :).

First knife I would say a folder for edc tasks at home. And for that I would recommend a victorinox (Swiss army knife) alox farmer. It is considered by many to be one of the "best bushcraft folders" out there. It's got a nice saw. Good blade that holds a decent edge but is easy to sharpen. Can opener, bottle opener flathead screwdrivers and a awl! All in a very nice compact package. They can be had for around 35 for the silver scaled model! I have one in all the vehicles and every camping bag I own. The saw is awesome! Nice good size usable blade. It's stainless so less up keep.

Then a good fixed blade or belt knife. Tons of options out there for this and most any of them would be great but again with him being young and the possibility of him losing it. I say a mora. I dig their new bushcraft model. It's about 50 bucks but comes with a nice sheath fire steel and a sharpener all attached. The spine is squared for throwing sparks on the fire steel. And the sharpener is solid for maintaining the edge. Nice stainless blade that again holds a good edge but doesn't require a lot to re sharpern back to a razors edge. I also dig the classic mora 1. The wooden handle model but its carbon blade and will require more attention.

This combo will serve him well through out his life. I have and use on a regular basis all knives mentioned. I also have a lot more expensive knives but for about 85 dollars I'm not sure you can beat the above combo

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    My vote is for a Case knife. American made & will last forever, if taken care of. I have a no-frills sod-buster that was passed down from my grandfather. It is a Case brand folder that his dad gave to him in 1940. It has a lot of wear, But still holds a razor sharp edge. One of my faves!:)

That last forever comment is a large exageration, from all of the old Case users I've seen.

But, the Sodbusters aren't a bad user and I think for all the knives Case makes, it would be the only one I'd trust as a user

For a first knife, it's tricky, if you'd want to give him a fixed blade or a folder. I was using my dad's fixed blades before I got my own, and if I remember right the first knife that was truely mine was a folder. Another thing is kids loose stuff and accidents happen. I've been lucky, the only knife I ever lost was a Kershaw 1550T while I was bailing hay 7 or 8 years ago.

So you could consider a $50 knife as a trial knife. Make a deal where if he doesn't loose it for so many months that you'll upgrade him to something stronger and better. That way too he can save his pennies and chip in a bit if there's one he really has his eye on.

I'm a fan of frame locks, and some American made Kershaws with frame locks aren't bad price wise, that would make a good trial knife. I'd not get anything self assist as a first knife though, but that's me. I remember my true first knife was a some Browning tanto with serrations, didn't hold an edge that well but it did the job and served me for a couple years. Still have it....somewhere

If you're thinking about a fixed blade, something small yet usable. I'd try and find an old Schrade Sharp Finger, one of the American ones before Taylor started making them. Good condition, $30, and they're a classic

First knives are tricky, it's like a first gun. Something quality that wil last a long time, but nothing too expensive because accidents happen.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Having bought and used a case copperlock I can honestly say when I have kids this is what I'll buy them. Almost the perfect outdoorsmans pocket knife.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    ^^^ ^^^^ ^^^
    American made & will last forever, if taken care of.

Under that though, you could get something made in Pakistan and will last forever, if taken care of.

I'm just saying I've seen a lot of old Cases and the blades look like shat because of soft or inferior steel getting ate by even good sharpeners.

Leroy1180

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Brownsburg, IN
    I agree with the Upgrade option. I started my 10yr old with a flee market special with the promise of upgrading him to a Case fixed blade "Hunter Finn" (kind of like the old Marine issued knife) when he proves that he is responsible enough.

That last forever comment is a large exageration, from all of the old Case users I've seen.

But, the Sodbusters aren't a bad user and I think for all the knives Case makes, it would be the only one I'd trust as a user

For a first knife, it's tricky, if you'd want to give him a fixed blade or a folder. I was using my dad's fixed blades before I got my own, and if I remember right the first knife that was truely mine was a folder. Another thing is kids loose stuff and accidents happen. I've been lucky, the only knife I ever lost was a Kershaw 1550T while I was bailing hay 7 or 8 years ago.

So you could consider a $50 knife as a trial knife. Make a deal where if he doesn't loose it for so many months that you'll upgrade him to something stronger and better. That way too he can save his pennies and chip in a bit if there's one he really has his eye on.

I'm a fan of frame locks, and some American made Kershaws with frame locks aren't bad price wise, that would make a good trial knife. I'd not get anything self assist as a first knife though, but that's me. I remember my true first knife was a some Browning tanto with serrations, didn't hold an edge that well but it did the job and served me for a couple years. Still have it....somewhere

If you're thinking about a fixed blade, something small yet usable. I'd try and find an old Schrade Sharp Finger, one of the American ones before Taylor started making them. Good condition, $30, and they're a classic

First knives are tricky, it's like a first gun. Something quality that wil last a long time, but nothing too expensive because accidents happen.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I'd have to echo the sentiment on the Izula 2. I picked one up for my daughter last year on her 10th birthday as her first knife. She has taken excellent care of it and now wants an ESEE 3.

Top Bottom