• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m2steven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    The Taurus 92 AFS which I have has an almost 1911 quality trigger and is accurate as any 9mm I own. They are super nice, well made, and beautiful. They are well balanced and shoot and hold great. GET ONE!!

(i realise i just complimented the beretta, but hey, the truth is the truth).

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    While the Beretta may be better quality, I will NOT own one with the asinine safety. That goes for S&W too. Plus the Taurus can go C&L, so I much prefer, and own the Taurus. To me, a backwards safety is a make or break issue, and I will never own the standard Beretta because of it. Heck, their steel competition model has a correct safety, why not the rest?

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I really enjoy the Taurus PT92AF....in fact have two of them. They are nice quality handguns at a fair price. Yes there are differences in the Beretta and the Taurus.Go look at them both and make your choice.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ah, an Italian Beretta. This had the Hogue grips but I like the original look better.

beretta01ds0.jpg

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    I am still impressed with my Taurus 92's fit and finish,interchangeable grips, and excellent accuracy. I was impressed with the Beretta also-would still like to own one someday,but it seemed to not fit my grip quite as well as the Taurus-and I do appreciate the de-cocker ,too. For the difference in price-an easy decision for me-my Tauruses have always served me well .

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I bought a Beretta 92SF at a 1500 gun show and there is current ammo to make it very effective. Later I bought a crimson trace wrap around laser for it from a M9 off ebay for 162.00. It is dead on accurate and love it as a carry gun. My first choice though for a all day carry gun is a Glock 21 in a Cross Breed supertuck holster.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    For a while I've been thinking I want a 1911, and still really do. But in thinking about my overall aresenal's strategic position (nice contrast to "tactical" :D), I'm thinking that staying with a 9mm caliber for my next pistol would be more ideal. That way I don't have to stock a few thousand rounds of .45 along with the stash I have in about 7 or 8 other calibers.

So, I've been looking a bit at full size 9mms. There are of course Glocks, Sigs, 1911 style pistols in 9mm, and a few others. But the Beretta 92 has really caught my eye, as well as the Taurus clones of it.

Many of the posts I've read on the Beretta really sing its praises. And it should be no surprise, since the military uses the same basic gun as the M9.

What about the Taurus? Is it any good? I realize that may open a war of sorts, but I would still like to know what you guys that have shot them think.

As an aside, I have a couple of Tauri (is that the correct plural of Taurus?) in my collection, and really like them. So, I'm not really needed to be sold on the brand, more just on that particular model.
    One of my students in Saturday's Basic Pistol class had the Taurus clone and he had a LOT of trouble with "failure to feeds." I don't know if that's a consistent problem with this model or not, but it was a relatively new gun and it did not function well at all. I cleaned and lightly oiled the feed ramp and that helped a little, but he continued to have problems, much to his embarrassment.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    They are sharp with those Hogue Grips on them.

Quick question about features and differences. From what I've seen, the Beretta safety is on the slide, and flips down (as shown in the pic) for "Safe" and is flipped up for "Fire." The Taurus safety is fram mounted, and appears to be the opposite. Up for "Safe" and down for "Fire."

If that is correct, I'm wondering if I had the Beretta if I would have trouble with the safety in a tense situation. My current carry gun is a PT111, and the safety flips down for "fire." Part of my routine now is to un-holster, and in the process flip the safety off with my thumb as I grip.

They act as a safety/decocker. So all you have to do is decock, and take the safety off. That way no worries, about having to take the safety off when firing. I have a 92, and my Dad has the Taurus 92. I prfer the Beretta. The Taurus is a good gun, do not get me wrong. You can not get the finger groove rubber grips through hogue for the Taurus.

Here is a pic of mine.

005.jpg

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Patriot, Is that a special run, where did you find that one. I need one of those.

They made 1,000 for each of the five services. My father bought it from a local shop, when I was in the service. That was back in 2003 I believe. I would say you would be hard pressed to find one know. Honestly I have no idea where to look to even attempt to find one. :dunno:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Stopped by Acme Sports here in Seymour today to see what they had. On the shelf were three brand new Beretta 92's.

One US made, and two Italian. One of the Italians was in stainless.

I had a chance to handle the black Italian made 92FS. Really felt good, and in a two handed grip seemed to very natually line up with my eye.

I thumbed the safety a few times, and while it was a little awkward (completely backwards from my normal carry gun), it wasn't too bad. I think with a little practice I could probably learn it.

They didn't have any Taurus versions for comparison, so I didn't get to handle one of them.

All in all, I did like the way the Beretta felt, and man was it smooth. Price wasn't too bad, NIB for $589 (only $10 more than the US copy). I didn't buy it, but it gives me a sense of what I'm gonna need to save up for.

IUalum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Stopped by Acme Sports here in Seymour today to see what they had. On the shelf were three brand new Beretta 92's.

One US made, and two Italian. One of the Italians was in stainless.

I had a chance to handle the black Italian made 92FS. Really felt good, and in a two handed grip seemed to very natually line up with my eye.

I thumbed the safety a few times, and while it was a little awkward (completely backwards from my normal carry gun), it wasn't too bad. I think with a little practice I could probably learn it.

They didn't have any Taurus versions for comparison, so I didn't get to handle one of them.

All in all, I did like the way the Beretta felt, and man was it smooth. Price wasn't too bad, NIB for $589 (only $10 more than the US copy). I didn't buy it, but it gives me a sense of what I'm gonna need to save up for.

I got my Taurus PT92 stainless for $399 NIB, around $200 less than the Beretta. It is equal to or better in fit, finish and accuracy to my Colts, S&W's, Rugers and Sigs.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Well guys, thanks to Target64, I've answered my question, and a lot faster than I thought I would.

I met up with him today and became the new owner of a PT92-AF. He made me a good deal on a great gun.

Did a detailed strip and clean when I got home to familiarize myself with it, and it is very simple to take down. I also will say that I do like the safety better on this gun.

With that said, I've never fired a shot from either (yet), so my opinion is limited to just handling. But, the thumb down to take off of safe and to de-cock is very natural for my thumb, and is consistend with my current carry weapon.

So, need to get out and shoot it now! Oh, and will post some pics soon... :D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom