• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    My carry gun is a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45. I have a friend of mine wanting to trade me for an HK usp Compact in .45. Having shot the HK it feels lke a solid gun. Price wise it doesn't look like either of use will loose out in a straight up trade. Any other inpt on the HK or anything to look out for?

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    My carry gun is a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45. I have a friend of mine wanting to trade me for an HK usp Compact in .45. Having shot the HK it feels lke a solid gun. Price wise it doesn't look like either of use will loose out in a straight up trade. Any other inpt on the HK or anything to look out for?

I wouldn't worry about the HK it will be reliable. Cleaning the HK is extremely simple but I would advise not to detail strip them it voids the warranty. Besides it is only a good trade if you think it is a good trade. Personally I love HK's and I think you won't be let down.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    HKs are pretty solid. Only thing I would check or ask him is which variant it is, they have about 10 different ones.

For example a Variant 1 has a Safety and a Decocker on the left side of the gun. Variant 2 is the same except on the right side.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I would not trade an H&K for a Kimber! thats just my opinion, I have carried an H&K for the last 15 years of my life! and have in excess of 30,000 rounds though it with no malfunctions ever! They are great guns, If you getting an H&K in trade I would do it in a heart beat!! Hope this helps! :D

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    H&K's hold their value poorly. Kimber's resell is much higher, typically.

A used USP, which typically sells new between $800-$900, sells used for around $500, typically. Kind of like Sigs, despite the high quality of the firearm, the used value just plummets.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    H&K's hold their value poorly.

I would disagree with this. It is a percentage thing....

Consider this:
    $500 glock that resells for $400 = 20% loss
    $850 HK P30L that resells for $725 = 15% loss

Yeah its value declined more, but it actually holds its value better.

There are a lot of cheap USPs because they are LEO trade ins, it is not a good metric.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Seeing that you guys are friends, I would say "trade" for a week, shoot the guns, carry them, live with them, and then see if you would like the permanent trade. I can't see myself trading my Kimber for anything other than a high-end 1911 but I've seen them traded for Glocks before. Good luck

PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Personally if you have doubts I would maybe not do it. Not worth loosing a friendship over. Like early said try just swapping for a week or two and see
    how you like it. I have had a USP since 1996 in a .40 and a compact since 2001 I would not trade either one of them. The full size gun is a little large for most auto is way but the have never not functioned and the compact I love to carry. In terms of the 1911 you have 8+1 depending on model and the HK should be at least around 10-12 rounds I believe (maybe wrong). And also giving up double action for single action. Both depending on variant can be carried cocked and locked. I also own a Colt (for 20 years) and that will go to the grave with me. (Actually to my boy.)

I believe Kimbers have a bigger resale value due to they already cost more then and HK. I also think since 1911 are the hot topics like AR's they are up in value even if used. I remember at time when no one built 1911 and were passed up in gun stores for High Capacity 9's and Magnums. If the craze goes down then the value will aslo.

Both are great quality guns and should never fail you.

In paraphasing of old HK slogin " Never Compromise"

That is my 2 cents worth.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    just remember that You suck and HK hates you. :)

seriously though, i personally wouldnt trade a reliable 1911 i was familiar with for an HK. ymmv.

McKinney19D

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Southport Indy
    I've had the HK USP .40 Var1 since 2008 - Love it.
    Everything the weapon is simple and easy to teach someone else.
    Never had a misfire/ftf/fte.

Picked mine up used for $500, came with 5 mags. Weapon was in near perfect condition.

CPV35

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    I actually own both the USP Compact .45 and a Kimber Ultra Carry II. I personally like the USP much better. It has less recoil, feels more comfortable, and i like the fact that its DA/SA as opposed to the Kimber which is a SA only. I find myself carrying the USP more often even though it is a larger gun.

One other problem is occasionally the Kimber has a feed failure which is something you do not want to happen if you are in a situation where the gun has to be used. My HK hasn't failed on me once and I've put about 150 rounds through it.

rugernut65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Vermillion county
    i personally dont have a usp45 BUT do have the usp 40 ive got 2 kimbers ss target models all three shoot extremely well but i dont think i would trade my kimber for a h&k id say when in doubt DONT ,and if you had to ask there has got to be some doubt ,and thats all i got to say about that, Forrest Gump

Last edited:
    Top Bottom