• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I'm no Kimber fan-boy but I know quality when I see it and their stuff, although expensive, exhudes quality and it would take something inherent flaw in the design to make me swear them off forever (and being 1911-based, that ain't gonna happen...)

I'll post again after some careful whittling and another trip to the range. The only thing I have to lose is the slide stop itself.
    I can assure you the problems I had with my Kimbers weren't so simple. I've been shooting 1911's for 20+ years and know them inside and out.

One of mine had a horribly off-center throat on the barrel and the other... who knows. Kimber couldn't make it right, or wouldn't, I don't know which. I don't get into playing "send it to us again" games over and over, and I get really ticked when you send something back to me totally untouched, thereby wasting my time and insulting my intelligence.

I had an SA Brazilian made pistol (bought in the late 80's, early 90's) that had an improperly cut breach face. It was obvious it was a few thousands off. I sent it to SA and within a week I had it back with a new finish, new upgraded trigger, grip safety and night sights, and it worked 100%. That earned my loyalty and I've owned countless SA's since. I've yet to have another problem, so I keep buying them knowing that if I ever do have another problem they won't yank my chain.

With all of that being said, I hope your new pistol works and I'm glad you're happy with it. In the end, that's all that's important.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I can assure you the problems I had with my Kimbers weren't so simple. I've been shooting 1911's for 20+ years and know them inside and out.

One of mine had a horribly off-center throat on the barrel and the other... who knows. Kimber couldn't make it right, or wouldn't, I don't know which. I don't get into playing "send it to us again" games over and over, and I get really ticked when you send something back to me totally untouched, thereby wasting my time and insulting my intelligence.

I had an SA Brazilian made pistol (bought in the late 80's, early 90's) that had an improperly cut breach face. It was obvious it was a few thousands off. I sent it to SA and within a week I had it back with a new finish, new upgraded trigger, grip safety and night sights, and it worked 100%. That earned my loyalty and I've owned countless SA's since. I've yet to have another problem, so I keep buying them knowing that if I ever do have another problem they won't yank my chain.

With all of that being said, I hope your new pistol works and I'm glad you're happy with it. In the end, that's all that's important.

Did Kimber not send any paperwork stating what they supposedly did to the gun? And what was the nature of the problem? I'm co-founder of an FDA-regulated medical device manufacturing firm and I can't see how any company would expect to survive if the prevailng attitude within is as you describe. Word gets around too fast on this ever-shrinking rock.

If I ever sell this one (not likely) its story is here for all to see. I'm an engineer and pistols are simple as far as machines go... I don't subscribe to any "ghost in the machine" theories when it comes to their function. Glad you're happy with your SAs; they have a fine reputation. Hopefully I'll be just as happy with mine.

I'll let you know after a few strokes with a file.

Last edited:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Oops, TOO many strokes with a file...

Now I've gone and done it! Another 200 rounds reveals I have solved one problem and created another. :xmad:

I took too much off the slide stop; it doesn't lock the slide back on a partial magazine anymore, but it doesn't reliably hold the slide back on an empty one, either (fails to do so about 25% of the time). It sure looked like there was plenty of overlap between the slide stop and magazine follower. :dunno:

Kimber is sending me a "modified" one tomorrow (they said they modify the "knuckle" so 230 gr. FMJ can "bump it without lifting it up..." Said they were out of stock on the part but kept some for warranty replacements like this. They were totally polite and responsive and said this fixes the problem "99% of the time". They also said to mark the original slide stop as such because the modification is minor and not easy to see if they get mixed up. At least I won't have THAT prpoblem... :)

In the meantime I went full-tilt-boogie and bought the Wilson Combat Bulletproof part. I figure the plunger detent can't hurt and since this is the only problem I am having with the pistol I might as well fix it right.

As an aside I intentionally limp-wristed a few strings and only induced one FTE. It was not a stovepipe, though. The casing came straight up (still aligned with bore axis) and induced a stoppage by being trapped between the breech face and barrel hood (first time I've ever seen that one).

As before, I'll update this thread after another trip to the range. And remember folks: It's a lot easier to remove more material later than to put it back.

Last edited:

hbarn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Lake Station
    I had simular problems with my compact ultra carry ii. I used scotch bright on my mags - the edges and it stopped with one mag, so I was alittle more aggressive with that one and no more problems. I have shot a few thousand of my reloads and no problems. Good luck!

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    FIXED! (Woot!)

I put 100 downrange earlier today and the pistol was 99% reliable including some magazine-emptying rapid firing. The only stoppage was when I let a friend try a couple mags and he induced a limp-wrist FTE (his admission and my observation based on muzzle flip). The brass failed to clear just like in my above post (stayed parallel to bore axis but got stuck between barrel hood and breech face).

Now, on to defensive ammo testing... Any recommendations based on now being okay with WWB 230 gr. FMJ?

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    I put 100 downrange earlier today and the pistol was 99% reliable including some magazine-emptying rapid firing. The only stoppage was when I let a friend try a couple mags and he induced a limp-wrist FTE (his admission and my observation based on muzzle flip). The brass failed to clear just like in my above post (stayed parallel to bore axis but got stuck between barrel hood and breech face).

Now, on to defensive ammo testing... Any recommendations based on now being okay with WWB 230 gr. FMJ?

I use Winchester PDX1 bonded in my Pro CDP II. I have had 1 fail to go into battery although I attribute that to the stock magazine. Hope the problems disappear and you love your Kimber as much as I love mine.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom