• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    Does anyone have or has anyone used a Kimber PepperBlaster? I like the idea in theory, but they seem hard to aim.

I'm looking for something for those times when carry is not an option.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I carry a combat knife for the times when I cant carry. I also have a can of generic pepper spray that I have never given much thought to. Oh, and the horn. I carried a small air horn after I was mugged in highschool (mugging was outside of school, I asked if I could carry pepper spray, they said no). I believe the air horn might have helped. It was crazy loud. A whistle would do the same. It might stun someone long enough to get away. Combine that with a knife, your odds are slightly better. Not great.

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    I ask due to my frequent visits to Chicago. I carry a knife of the legal limit (2.5") but I'd like to supplement it with something 'no-contact', and the Kimber Pepperblaster is the only pepper spray that looks as if they've advanced the technology and didn't develop it in 1987.

Last edited:

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Might I suggest a personal taser? You can buy direct now, and it sounds as if you prefer LTL solutions. If not, there is always the option of a stun stick, collapsable baton, or brass knuckles "paperweight". All can be purchased through Cheaper Than Dirt, I believe. Hope that helps.....:twocents:

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My sister will not carry a gun, so I bought her a Kimber Pepperblaster. It seems very high quality. I would figure that you don't have to be all that accurate with it... with a bullet it is like a point source light (i.e. you have to be right on), but with the spray it is more like a flood light (you just have to be close, and it will cover them)...

The Kimber Pepper Blaster also has 2 shots and is pyrotechnically driven, so there is no aerosol to worry about leaking or exploding in heat.

They are on sale at Cabela's right now for $24 bucks...

Also there is a pepper blaster 2 out that looks like a small handgun and has sights on it. It however is in the $50 range.

Hope this helped.

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    Thanks for the tip about Cabela's! Thats the cheapest I've seen.

Just ordered 3 of them (one for me, one for the wife, and a practice)

Last edited:

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    Might I suggest a personal taser? You can buy direct now, and it sounds as if you prefer LTL solutions. If not, there is always the option of a stun stick, collapsable baton, or brass knuckles "paperweight". All can be purchased through Cheaper Than Dirt, I believe. Hope that helps.....:twocents:

Stun guns are illegal to carry in Chicago. You must register them and notify police in advance to possess them.

It is illegal to use pepper spray indoors with other people around in Chicago.

Brass knuckles are illegal in Illinois. Batons are illegal in Illinois.

Knives, as already stated, must be 2 1/2" or less in Chicago.

I'd go with an OC fogger or foamer and a push knife of maximum size. I like the Urban Pal.

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    Chicago ordinance bans "dirks, daggers, and stilletos". I pretty much assume they will categorize any fixed blade in that category, especially any knives meant for 'thrusts'. But then again, I assume they would call my SOG Flash 1 a "switchblade", but I still carry that.

As far as the stun gun, yep, they require a FOID which is unattainable for out-of-staters (no matter how much Cook County sales tax I pay on my wife's shopping trips.)

I figure the combination of an assisted open knife, pepperspray, and a bright flashlight is about as safe as I can be and still be legal.

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville

They go so far as to put a number on that. It is illegal to use pepper spray indoors when there are more than 20 people in the room. Hopefully if there are 20 people, I won't need to worry (or I'm surrounded and pepper spray isn't going to help)

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    Chicago ordinance bans "dirks, daggers, and stilletos". I pretty much assume they will categorize any fixed blade in that category, especially any knives meant for 'thrusts'. But then again, I assume they would call my SOG Flash 1 a "switchblade", but I still carry that.

As far as the stun gun, yep, they require a FOID which is unattainable for out-of-staters (no matter how much Cook County sales tax I pay on my wife's shopping trips.)

I figure the combination of an assisted open knife, pepperspray, and a bright flashlight is about as safe as I can be and still be legal.

They ban concealed carry of dirks, daggers, stilettos, razors, and bowies and any knife over 2 1/2". This leaves knives not of those types legal for concealed carry. Daggers, dirks, and stilettos are unique for being double-edged knives designed for fighting, and Bowies are likewise designed for fighting. They don't appear to have banned fixed-blade knives, but instead banned concealed carry of knives that have historically been associated with crime. A push knife is none of these types, and need not be that long to be useful. You might consider calling them up to attempt to clarify.

But it's your behind, suit yourself, IANAL anyway.

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    F*** Chicago and Chairman Daly... Really, that is gosh darn ridiculous! I would rather just boycott Chicago all together. In fact I am, starting now. No More Chicago!

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    Stun guns are illegal to carry in Chicago. You must register them and notify police in advance to possess them.

Brass knuckles are illegal in Illinois. Batons are illegal in Illinois.

Knives, as already stated, must be 2 1/2" or less in Chicago.

I'd go with an OC fogger or foamer and a push knife of maximum size. I like the Urban Pal.

Yes, this... is what I carry in Chicago. Make sure you test whatever brand you want to carry to make sure it has enough projective capability to avoid blowback and get a good coverage. I use UDAP. They have a small fogger (like 6 or 7 ounces) that is really easy to carry and easily shoots 25-30 feet. They also make a hulking SUPER unit that is crowd control sized.. like 2 cups of OC in that thing and they rate it to shoot 35 ft. You could stop a mob with that thing.

Top Bottom