• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    I sent my kimber ultra II to the factory for failure to eject and a loose front sight. It is now more than 1 week since they received the gun. I called them up to get an update and they told me that the gun smith has not even looked at my gun. I thought their company has a reputation for a quick turn around. This does not sound so quick. Does anyone have a similar experience?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    When I have had problems in the past, I had them mail me the part and I installed it. They didn't charge me for shipping or the part, and got it out fast.

I'm sure you want the gun back asap, but 1 week is not very long when it comes to any major manufacturer doing a repair, due to the volume of business they have.

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Both times I've sent guns to kimber it took at least 3 to 4 weeks for return. I wasn't charged either time and had no problems with the firearms. I thought it was kind of long, but didn't bother me any I wasn't really in a hurry.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Kimber tends to have problems because they do not do much, if any, hand fitting.

They precision cast their parts and expect them to work. And the majority to.

However, when things go wrong, they tend to go really wrong with Kimber, I've noticed.

The better option, IMNSHO, is to buy a Rock Island Armory 1911 and have it worked over by a knowledgeable 1911 smith, or better yet, learn to do it yourself.

Josh

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    I'm afraid that for the OP, it is too late to throw out recommendations (no matter how credible) for an alternative pistol to purchase.

I have had 2 Kimber pistols that really gave me fits, each requiring trips back to the factory at least one time. My experience with the first was also that it took 3-4 weeks to get it back. Then I went out and the first magaizne I had 3 repeat malfunctions (FTF). For the second trip back, I just got Dennis on the phone at Kimber and really made certain that I recieved updates and kept on them. After that second trip, I got back a gun that still has yet to have a problem. My second gun (also an ultra) had FTF/FTE problems that just didn't clear up with the "break in" (please don't get me started on that - it is a different subject). I got it back in less than a week with a new extractor. Since then, zero problems at all and I have complete confidence in both. Seriously, I have put a lot of rounds through that Ultra (even reloads) and it just chews through them.
    Give them a chance, but I urge you to stay on their case in a strong but respectful tone. I don't know if I will ever but another Kimber, but I have to be up front with you that they stand by their product and the end result are 2 pistols that I still trust.
    Good luck and I hope that they do the right thing with you! Please let us know what happens.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I haven't had any problems with the three Kimbers I've owned so I have no experience with that end, but I would imagine with the volume of 1911's Kimber sells, especially in the last year or so (since the great turd was elected) they have been even busier than usual.

The better option, IMNSHO, is to buy a Rock Island Armory 1911 and have it worked over by a knowledgeable 1911 smith

Sorry but that is kinda worthless advice to give the OP now.

prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    I'm afraid that for the OP, it is too late to throw out recommendations (no matter how credible) for an alternative pistol to purchase.

I have had 2 Kimber pistols that really gave me fits, each requiring trips back to the factory at least one time. My experience with the first was also that it took 3-4 weeks to get it back. Then I went out and the first magaizne I had 3 repeat malfunctions (FTF). For the second trip back, I just got Dennis on the phone at Kimber and really made certain that I recieved updates and kept on them. After that second trip, I got back a gun that still has yet to have a problem. My second gun (also an ultra) had FTF/FTE problems that just didn't clear up with the "break in" (please don't get me started on that - it is a different subject). I got it back in less than a week with a new extractor. Since then, zero problems at all and I have complete confidence in both. Seriously, I have put a lot of rounds through that Ultra (even reloads) and it just chews through them.
    Give them a chance, but I urge you to stay on their case in a strong but respectful tone. I don't know if I will ever but another Kimber, but I have to be up front with you that they stand by their product and the end result are 2 pistols that I still trust.
    Good luck and I hope that they do the right thing with you! Please let us know what happens.
    Bigmedicine, thanks for the advice there. I just received a call from customer service to give me an update. That was nice of them. I do hope I don't run into the same problem as yours. Your statement that you finally have "guns that you can trust", is very encouraging. thanks again

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've had two experiences with Kimber customer service that left me completely satisfied. In each instance, Kimber did something above and beyond what I had asked for, and at no cost!

In my first instance, they noticed that I had slotted grip screws. They sent me some hex screws. They thought I might prefer them.

In the second instance, I sent a pistol in for bead blasting and different sights. They discovered a problem I didn't know I had (sear) and replaced parts at no charge!

I found turn around reasonble. They called me upon my pistols arrival to confirm receipt.

BIGE7.62

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    66   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    Where can I get some more info on a RIA
    Kimber tends to have problems because they do not do much, if any, hand fitting.

They precision cast their parts and expect them to work. And the majority to.

However, when things go wrong, they tend to go really wrong with Kimber, I've noticed.

The better option, IMNSHO, is to buy a Rock Island Armory 1911 and have it worked over by a knowledgeable 1911 smith, or better yet, learn to do it yourself.

Josh

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    try taurus 1911.......ive had mine for 2-3 years now with reloads factory a mil surp ammo.....FMJs HPs semi wad cutters thought it and not one problem with FTF or FTE.....wonderful gun.

Top Bottom