• ...and so much more!
  • IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    Kimber 1911 22LR Conversion Kit Range Report New Pictures

Picked up a Kimber 22LR Conversion Kit from 21st Century Firearms today (thanks again David! :rockwoot:) for my Kimber Tactical Custom II. I put 50rds of 40gr Aguila SuperExtra copper plated solid points through it prior to heading to work today and only had 1 failure. A case ejected, flipped 180* and stovepiped with the case mouth crushed by the slide. The other 40rds I fired as fast as possible without another malfunction.

I thought my aluminum-framed Kimber was light before but with the aluminum slide in the conversion kit it's super light now! I've read some issues with safeties not fitting the slides, but mine clicked right in without any rubbing at all. The only thing I don't like about the kit is the absense of a last-round slide lock feature. No biggie though. It will help practice reloading drills once I pick up a few more mags for it.

The plastic mag did have quite a bit of mold flashing on it which was easily removed with a pocket knife. I'm super happy with it and once again thanks David for the deal! :ingo:

Just a few brief pictures really quick. I'll post up some target pictures once I get more time to shoot it. I just plinked the first 50 at my steel silhouette from about 10 yrds. There is absolutely zero recoil with this kit with a firm grip and it's super easy to run through the 10rds available in the mag without knowing it. :draw:
    Photobucket is stupid-slow right now so more pics will be up by this time tomorrow.
    DSC01276.jpg

DSC01283.jpg

DSC01284.jpg

DSC01288.jpg

More pictures! It shoots really well when I do my part. However, the lack of any noticeable recoil makes it hard not to run through the mag as fast as possible. So, my groups suffered a little bit. This is after 250 rounds mixed between the Aguila and some Remington Thunderbolt I've had around. The Thunderbolt ran just as good as the Aguila, so I'll be looking for a few more bricks of that. I also shot 2 sparrows with it from about 10yds. Never knew what hit 'em!
    DSC01291.jpg

DSC01293.jpg

DSC01294.jpg

DSC01295.jpg

DSC01296.jpg

Last edited:

gunrunner1212

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Anderson
    Very nice! I really like the color scheme to your 1911.

What ammo do you run through it?
    Thanks, I built this one as a .400 cor-bon but the .22lr is whole lot cheaper. I usually just shoot the Remington or the Federal bulk pack stuff i have never tried any of the target grade stuff, I should someday. This is the same gun as the .400 cor-bon not a very good picture though.
    1911.jpg

gunrunner1212

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Anderson
    Thanks. Yours looks really nice too looks like it shoots really good. Mine shoots dirty like that too i figure its the cheap ammo. They do cycle really fast for a 1911 don't take long to run through a mag.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    I haven't weighed the slide yet, but I know that thing is really light. My brother came over this morning and shot it and had a hard time believing the recoil is nearly non-existant.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I bought one of the Ciener conversions and mated it to my Officer's RIA (its a commander length conversion). I must say its fun as anything, but I got quite a few malfs with it due to using standard velocity CCI, I've since purchased some high velocity CCI & Centurian to test. It is plenty accurate for me, but It's not a tack driver at 25 yards. It IS a bunch of fun to shoot though.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    When I get some more spending money I'll be adding some night sights like what came on my Tactical Custom II in the first place. The front blade of the target sights is too thick for my likings.

I got to shoot some steel behind the house at 100yds and managed to hit it 43 out of 50rds. I love this thing more and more as I shoot it.

gunrunner1212

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Anderson
    I have Caspian sights on my Essex slide with fiber optic on the front and Bomar style ghost ring on the rear so the Kimber sights are about the same so they work good for me. I think night sights would be nice not just for night time but because your used to how they work on your other slide too.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    I think night sights would be nice not just for night time but because your used to how they work on your other slide too.

That's my biggest concern. I want it to be identical to my carry setup in every way possible (except for weight) for drawing practice and other training. I just can't see spending >$100 on night sights, but I guess that's the only way to go doing what I want to do.

gunrunner1212

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Anderson
    That's my biggest concern. I want it to be identical to my carry setup in every way possible (except for weight) for drawing practice and other training. I just can't see spending >$100 on night sights, but I guess that's the only way to go doing what I want to do.
    I know what you mean when i built mine we was getting a lot of overtime at work now we don't even get 40 hours per week. So now it comes down to deciding to buy what i want or what i need. It's a hard decision sometimes.

Top Bottom