• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yj-guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    brazil
    If you feel confident using a .22 then do it. I would just make sure you can keep a 4" group at 100 yrds using exactly what you will be hunting with. I have killed 18 with my remington 597 .22 lr, nikon scope, and shooting sticks. Try shooting on a bench first. If you can keep a small group, then try shooting how you will be while hunting. Go for the head though. Good luck

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    What do people do with the coyotes after the hunt? eat? left for other animals to eat? Or what? Just wondering, those are pests IMO and needed to be taken care of. Causing farmers $$$$$ losing calves, chickens....etc.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You can kill a yote with a chest shot with a 22. Now finding the body after the shot is what is in question. Even fox are tought to recover with a 22 but most other centerfires with todays loads are to much. The 22 mag would do well on fox maybe perfect.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    A .22 has killed everything that walks and breaths. If you limited your distance you would be fine. I had a .22 mag and shot a few coyotes with it. A couple of them were 100+. Never had one chase its tail.
    Chris Kiefner

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    location, location, location. :) Like others have said, a .22 will do it, but you just have to be confident/capable of your shot. I was with a friend hunting one night and he had his .17hmr for racoons, and we called in a younger yote. He smacked it right in the ribs at about 40 yds with one of the 17 grain hornadys and knocked it right off it's feet. He did however pop right back up only to be finished off with my .17 remington (ideal coyote round in my opinion). I have a feeling a .22 would have had about the same effect as the .17, but with a shot from either in the ear you'd be ok.

M107

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Noblesville
    Can be done but if he's on the run its alot more of a challange. I like a .357mag rifle not to much range and has alot more knock down power than a .22 or .22mag. But I hunt in open country in Hamilton co.

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    I agree with most of what everyone else has said Yes a .22 can kill anything so can a 17
    But I would be concerned with finding it after shooting it with one of those two calibers.
    Distance and shot placement will play a big factor in that. The way i hunt song dogs is calling them in across a long open field and need something with more distance. I use a .222 or .223 but one of us will always have a shotgun just in case one comes in close. As you know they will sometimes circle around and come in behind you. If I hunt in the thick brush on the river bottoms a shotgun works best. With that said I always carry a .22 rifle in my truck and I have pulled it out a few times and started unloading on one running across the field or pasture You never know I might get a lucky shot. and I am not as concerned with finding them as I am of thinning them out. Just my 2 cents!

Top Bottom