Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

Bandsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Pike County
    I dealt with TGE, another diarrhea disease that is deadly to baby pigs many years ago. It is a miserable experience. At that time, the only way to deal with it was to grind up the dead piglets and feed them to the pregnant sows some weeks before they gave birth. That gave the sows the disease in time for them to recover before giving birth, and they then passed the immunity to their pigs. Nasty, nasty job. PED is much worse, from what I hear.

pgfrmr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Fishers
    PEDv can kill 75-90% of the piglets. The virus mows off the parts of the digestive tract that absorb nutrients, wasting away the piglet. Not only is it hard on the pocket book, it is hard emotionally as well. They are getting close to creating a vaccine.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I was told that a friend had to pay over $100 each for 25# piglets at the sale a week or so ago.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Our family name claim to fame in the pork production world was a virus discovered in the herd I believe in the '70's and later given their name. I believe it was a diarrhea causing virus. I can't really find anything on Google but I remember reading some farming magazines about it several years ago.

Shiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2014
    The dumpster
    Meanwhile feral hogs are running rampant in the south and spreading further and further inland. I even heard of people starting to see them in Owen County around Spencer.

Time to go Hog hunting.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    I dealt with TGE, another diarrhea disease that is deadly to baby pigs many years ago. It is a miserable experience. At that time, the only way to deal with it was to grind up the dead piglets and feed them to the pregnant sows some weeks before they gave birth. That gave the sows the disease in time for them to recover before giving birth, and they then passed the immunity to their pigs. Nasty, nasty job. PED is much worse, from what I hear.

From what I've read forced cannibalism isn't a great idea and is the suspected (proven?) cause of bovine spongiform encephalopathy better known as Mad Cow Disease.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I've been hearing of wild hogs in Mitchell Indiana. I would love to hunt some. Plus, It'd be a good excuse to get a new gun. Everyone needs a hog gun.
    I was down in east Texas for some hog hunting 2 weeks ago. Didn't see a single one (plenty of deer, though). The guys down there were speculating that some form of this hog disease may have jumped to the feral/hybrids and knocked the numbers way down.

Hardly saw any signs of them, either.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    From what I've read forced cannibalism isn't a great idea and is the suspected (proven?) cause of bovine spongiform encephalopathy better known as Mad Cow Disease.

Cows are herbivores, pigs omnivores...though I certainly would not want to eat a pig that has consumed much meat, owing to the similarities in our physiology.

Top Bottom