• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    Then I rescend the comment about you needing to find a better SE... ;)

Ahhh...
    The infamous "Dutch Load".
    Actually, based of what I know of the area this happened in. Most of the Mounties that work that area tend to have the Belief that Shot between #2 to as small as #6 has the capability to kill Man sized Targets just fine. You are also starting to find this belief here also, sadly.

hmm.. that is interesting.. i wasn't too aware of what they shot, just going by what I was familiar with around here. I agree it "can" kill a man size target, but I for one wouldn't want to use the minimum that I thought would get the job done. /shrug.

anyway, I'll butt-out of this thread since my opinion differs from the majority I see. Just giving my :twocents:. Have a good day all.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    A guy I used to know some years ago was the manager of the SAR training facility at Cp Atterbury. He told me there were coyotes hanging around there that were bigger than his German Shepard, and were totally unafraid of him (the guy).

On a different note, I had a friend who had a half-breed female wolf as a pet, but she ran away down in the Hoosier National Forest about 15 years ago. I don't believe she was fixed (this guy was educated and smart - but didn't have much sense), so there could be a whole lot of 1/4 wolves running around in the state by now.

vwarren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    greenfield
    if you kill them you will make them stronger

When a coyote heard feels threatened they will begin to go into heat more often and have larger packs. If you don't mess with them they will will only go into heat once a year and have a small litter. If they feel threatened they can go into heat as many as 3 times a year and have more pups each time. They are worse than roaches.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    I work in Chicago; all over between Englewood, the old Meat-Packing District, and downtown. Coyotes are everywhere. Just another reason we need to carry guns in Chicago.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I hope I'm never in this situation. Being as I live in Indianapolis, I don't see it being a huge possibility but whenever I take the dog out, I've got my .45 on me.

You might be surprised, I read an article a few years back and a IL DNR stated that there was coyotes in downtown Chicago. He said hundreds if not thousands of people a day walked past their den and didn't know it.

They are also at Eagle creek park.

Coyotes in Indiana: Adapting to Our Environment - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com
    Coyote on Indianapolis highway

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Coyotes are not a concern to me at all. They're not these aggressive, blood-craving beasts that everyone makes them out to be that will needlessly attack you. /yawn. They don't run in packs either for that matter. If you see a group of them together, it is a "family-unit". Just wording I suppose, but I wanted to clarify that they don't just congregate together randomly and go on killing sprees. What happened to this hiker seems like an isolated and unfortunate incident. That was the first EVER adult killed by coyotes, and they weren't normal yotes. I agree, you probably should keep an eye out on pets if you have a lot of them around your area. In all reality you are just as likely to get attacked by a random stray dog as you are walking to your tree stand. :twocents:

Of course I always carry, but they are not the reason for it.

+1 :yesway:

From the story:

Coyote attacks against humans are extremely rare. Experts say there may be as few as five a year across the country.

5 attacks per year. You guys are irrationally scared.

You have more of a chance of being killed by a common domestic dog. Do you think we should kill all family dogs on sight, too?

Now I see why the government was so easily able to institute all of these restrictions on us after 9/11. We'll do anything to "feel" safe, even if we're not "unsafe" in the first place.

You complain about the coyotes then you complain about the deer when the coyotes don't eat enough to help maintain the herd in check. I don't see how many of you will be happy until every animal that could ever possibly be considered a "nuisance" is driven to exinction. If so then there aren't going to be many animals finally left to complain about.

Top Bottom