• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    This short video makes the case that we should get rid of the penny. Can't say I find anything to disagree with there. It's a useless coin that costs more to manufacture than it's worth and no-one really uses them anymore. While we're at it we can get rid of the dollar bill, too and replace them with coins, which are more cost effective and realistic.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5UT04p5f7U&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    we need pennies................ for those machines at touristy type places that smash it and stamp another picture on it............... geeeeze :)

jake

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Or about we stop devaluing our money supply and mint coins whose melt value is less than their face value.
    Nearest five cents being read as 'rounded to the next five cents.'
    Why stop at five? Why not charge another dollar for the inconvenience of rounding.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Terrific video; thanks for posting. It's funny that we can't get enough courage to get rid of the penny, yet we want our government to have enough spine to balance the budget. Old Abe would be sad indeed.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    When I was in Europe, I noticed euro coins went up to 2 euro. Then, they started with paper money. In Switzerland, the coins went up to 5 francs, then paper money started at 10 francs. BTW, the 5 franc coin is just about as big as the Ike silver dollar.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Or about we stop devaluing our money supply and mint coins whose melt value is less than their face value.
    Nearest five cents being read as 'rounded to the next five cents.'
    Why stop at five? Why not charge another dollar for the inconvenience of rounding.

Pretty bad when a piece of pot-metal zinc is worth too much to be made into coinage. Our ancestors would be astounded.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    DEATH TO THE PENNY.... I have hated them for years I dont WHOSE people is on it. Its a total pain in the butt... I like the idea of getting rid of the one dollar bill also (see George, it isnt just ABE we want to get rid of)

Just think of having as many dollar coins in your pocket as the number of quarters you usually have, and how rare you would have to pull the wallet out of your pocket for the basic everyday coffee or incidential...

But, the biggest issue... people DONT like change... (pun intended)

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    OK, if we kill the penny, lets do some thinking. If the sales tax is 7%, we need 2 pennys for a dollar purchase. Since we don't have pennies to pay the 2 cents with our nickel, do we just give the retailer or gov 2 nickels? Does anyone here really think that the gov will lower taxes to conform to currency? To me, you have to have the 1 denomination just for mathematical purposes.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    OK, if we kill the penny, lets do some thinking. If the sales tax is 7%, we need 2 pennys for a dollar purchase. Since we don't have pennies to pay the 2 cents with our nickel, do we just give the retailer or gov 2 nickels? Does anyone here really think that the gov will lower taxes to conform to currency? To me, you have to have the 1 denomination just for mathematical purposes.

Sales tax.... Because we should have to pay a fee before we are allowed to cloth our children.

How about we kill the sales tax as well?

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Sales tax.... Because we should have to pay a fee before we are allowed to cloth our children.

How about we kill the sales tax as well?

I am all for that! I am tired of the local business' bit**ing about internet sale because those companies do not collect sales tax. No Tax, No Bit**ing. Let the free market work.

Top Bottom