• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Picked up a Ketland pistol, pushing my oldest gun back into the 18th century. These were made in Birmingham England during the 1700s and primarily sold by the Hudson Bay Company to fur trappers and indians. Hudson Bay sold all sorts of supplies in Canada and into the US and it's territories. One of it's more well known items through it's history is what is known as the "point blanket" which was popular and introduced about the same time as the Ketland pistol. That's an original 6 point blanket the pistol is resting on in the photo, the "points" referring to the size of the blanket, not the number of beaver pelts it took to trade for it as has been sometimes said. A smoothbore 69 caliber, the pistol was a short range item at best. I'll scare up a mold and see how it shoots. Nothing I've found so far makes me think it won't work just as well as it did centuries ago in the hands of a fur trapper or noble savage deep in the forest.

ketland.jpg

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Picked up a Ketland pistol, pushing my oldest gun back into the 18th century. These were made in Birmingham England during the 1700s and primarily sold by the Hudson Bay Company to fur trappers and indians. Hudson Bay sold all sorts of supplies in Canada and into the US and it's territories. One of it's more well known items through it's history is what is known as the "point blanket" which was popular and introduced about the same time as the Ketland pistol. That's an original 6 point blanket the pistol is resting on in the photo, the "points" referring to the size of the blanket, not the number of beaver pelts it took to trade for it as has been sometimes said. A smoothbore 69 caliber, the pistol was a short range item at best. I'll scare up a mold and see how it shoots. Nothing I've found so far makes me think it won't work just as well as it did centuries ago in the hands of a fur trapper or noble savage deep in the forest.

View attachment 373209
    Wonderful pistol, my bestie has a few Hudson blankets that she has picked up over the years at garage sales and Goodwill stores.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County

View attachment 373209
    D***, Leadeye!!!!! Now that is a gun I wish could talk!

Just imagine where it might have been, and what it might well have done.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Jan 19, 2009
    Wonderful pistol, my bestie has a few Hudson blankets that she has picked up over the years at garage sales and Goodwill stores.

Funny story about the blankets, the first ones that Hudson Bay offered were turned down cold. Indians and locals said they were junk and preferred blankets from The North West Company, a Montreal based firm with ties to France as it's supplier. While rare in today's business world, new management at Hudson Bay decided to improve the blanket to meet customer expectations and the product would go on to become the stuff of legend. People made coats, clothes and everything you could imagine out of the blankets.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Funny story about the blankets, the first ones that Hudson Bay offered were turned down cold. Indians and locals said they were junk and preferred blankets from The North West Company, a Montreal based firm with ties to France as it's supplier. While rare in today's business world, new management at Hudson Bay decided to improve the blanket to meet customer expectations and the product would go on to become the stuff of legend. People made coats, clothes and everything you could imagine out of the blankets.
    Great Interesting stuff you post.
    I want to say she has a few vintage Pendleton blankets as well. I've heard her say how expensive some of that stuff can get.
    20 years or so ago my ex was/is a quilter, she argued but I had bought two wool Swedish GI blankets, and I wanted her to cut one and sew it to the other one, to use them as lining for a queen sized quilt.
    I will say, it best be cold if you climb under that blanket.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Holy crap. You can still get them, but dang... Almost 600 bucks for a queen size (6 point). :faint:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Holy crap. You can still get them, but dang... Almost 600 bucks for a queen size (6 point). :faint:

A 4 point Hudson Bay Blanket and a smoothbore 20 gauge fowler cost the same number of beaver in the 1700s....eight (or twelve..but I am thinking eight) iirc....which go for about $600 today...which is what a decent 20 gauge costs...as well as a 4 point Hudson Bay blanket...pretty wild...(I really deep dove into the Indian trade back in the day...obviously lol...)

1725583435503.png

Top Bottom