• ...and so much more!
  • bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    Been researching inexpensive (relative) EDC knives. Really don't know much about them. I've come down to these two and having a hard time choosing. I like the Zing as it's a little smaller and might be a little more comfortable in my pocket. It's also made in the USA. Blade is pretty cool as well. The Tenacious gets great reviews and I really like it's design as well. The Tenacious is the cheaper of the two. Are they both pretty equal for EDC or am I missing something that puts them in separate leagues?

Kershaw Zing:

Specifications
    • Steel......Sandvik 14C28N stainless-steel with 3-D machined grooves
    • Handle..Black injection-molded Polyimide®
    • Liner.......410 stainless-steel
    • Lock.......Locking Liner
    • Blade......3 in. (7.6 cm)
    • Closed...3-7/8 in. (9.8 cm)
    • Weight...3.1 oz.
    • Includes removable/reversible 3 position pocket clip
    • Designed by RJ Martin
    • Made in the USA

Spyderco Tenacious:
    Specifications

• length overall 7 3/4" (197mm)
    • blade length 3 3/8" (86mm)
    • blade steel 8CR13MOV
    • length closed 4 7/16" (113mm)
    • cutting edge 3 3/8" (86mm)
    • weight 4oz (115g)
    • hole diameter 1/2" (13mm)
    • blade thickness 1/8" (3mm)
    • handle material G-10
    Made in China

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    tenacious. I own one and love it.

Thanks for the response. The Tenacious does appear to be really solidly built for the money.

I'm a little concerned about the flipper on the Zing. Not sure how well I would like it long-term. Man it sure looks nice though...

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I love my Zing, been carrying it every single day since I bought it. Skinned a couple of squirrels with and love the way it looks.

I'm sure those who know far more than I will weigh in.

+1 being made in the USA.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I picked up the zing a few weeks ago. It was on sale at Walmart for 30. I LOVE IT!!

Light, small, but not too small. Sharp blade. Great looks.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i gotta vote for the Kershaw. i just love their knives. i have several and have never been disapointed. my EDC is a Kershaw. the fact that the zing offers the multi position pocket clip is awesome, gives you the option to pick what works best for you.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I have a problem with liner locks. They can close up on you if you grip them really hard( like you'd do if you had to perform a comma cut on some miscreant's thigh).
    I prefer a spyderco with a hole in the blade and standard lock. No serrations. Been carrying a VG-10 for years now.

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    I ended up getting a Zing back in December. I absolutely love it. I'm sure I would like the Spyderco as well. May pick one up one of these days. Zing is covering all my EDC needs.

Thanks for the responses.

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    I ended up getting a Zing back in December. I absolutely love it. I'm sure I would like the Spyderco as well. May pick one up one of these days. Zing is covering all my EDC needs.

Thanks for the responses.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My Tenacious was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever purchased.

The design is fantastic, especially the flat grind of the blade. The construction of mine is first rate, with a solidly built liner lock and it's very smooth opening and closing.

The problem is the steel and/or steel/heat treatment combination. It sucks. When I have it sharpened the way I like, it literally will not open a #10 envelope without feeling the blade start to drag as you slice. That's pretty much zero edge holding. I suspect that the steel/heat treatment won't support an edge as thin as I made it. It's possible that had I left the orginal bevel intact it might have done better, but an edge that thick is not useful to me.

I expected better. I posted a few messages about my Tenacious experience on bladeforums a while back and several people reported similar findings. I also note that some love their Tenacious and think it's a great knife. It's possible I got a bad one, but it's not worth trying again so many other options on the market.

Top Bottom