• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ^^ My parents have one and my dad mentioned that you want to "burn" the smell off when it is new, and than if you can move it, take it outside to turn off. We will see how it works. At this point, I"m committed to it.

We did the new smell burn off. Still smelled. Buddy mentioned that some do not stink but mine did.

They are a great secondary heat source. Hope it works out for you.

bos-94-003

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Marion
    I'm running the Lowe's version in my back living room (30'x20'). Definitely puts out enough heat to make the room comfortable with no other heat source. I am very sensitive to strong odors and was skeptical about kerosene but so far I have been very happy with mine. Medium odor when first lit but I do it by a cracked window. Odor is a bit stronger when extinguished so I take it to the garage for that part. During its normal heat cycle there is little to no odor at all. I did by a bottle of additive that was advertised to reduce odor and extend fuel life, so not sure if that helps with the smell or not. Maintenance is more than I'd prefer with the burn offs and monitoring (I don't run it when not at home or asleep) but for a back up it'll do the job.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    For kerosene heaters the most smell comes from starting it up and stopping. Once it is warmed up the flame adjustment makes a difference so follow directions on flame height. It is suggested to take it outside to start or stop but I did neither and didn't think it was too bad. For the least smell you should use K1 Kerosene.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Consider a big buddy heater made by Mr. heater. It runs on propane, burns cleaner, and if you use the hose the fuel sits outside. Kerosene stinks and will soot up your home.
    Absolutely true! used to put orange peels on them to try to mask the stink

Icemancometh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    SUNNY SIDE OF THE RIVER
    We had one for years, don't recall the brand. I don't know what ever happened to it. I would like to have another one to be honest. We had a winter power outage a few years and it, along with the fireplace, kept us relatively warm. Only thing I didn't like was the smell when you turned it off.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Don't know that I'd wait till tomorrow to get that kerosene. If things get bad it may be a real pain to get out. Things are nice and clear tonight.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've used several different types of kerosene heaters over the years. I think the amount of smell and/or soot that you get is a factor of the heater design and construction (especially the wick), the quality of fuel, and your ability to keep it "dialed in".

I've got one old heater that isn't available in the US anymore that burns very clean and holds more fuel than any others I've had. And, I have newer heaters that I really have to work to keep them burning clean. I think some of the wicks that I've gotten don't properly fit the heater that the label says they should fit.

I have a nice wood stove now for heat, but I still keep kerosene heaters for backup and plenty of kerosene. Kerosene will keep for many years as long as you keep the moisture out of it. I use metal containers for long-term storage. I can't imagine going into the next 72 hours without any kind of supplemental heat source with a week's worth of fuel.

This website has tons of info on kerosene and kerosene heaters:
    Kerosene Heaters

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So it is cold today and my old drafty house is 56 degrees. I have a 23,000 btu kerosene heater going and a 16,000 btu propane heater going and yes, my oven. I am now at a toasty 61 degrees.

I know, beware of CO2 but in a 1,400 sq ft house with a 3 ton system that cannot keep up, lack of oxygen is not my problem.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So it is cold today and my old drafty house is 56 degrees. I have a 23,000 btu kerosene heater going and a 16,000 btu propane heater going and yes, my oven. I am now at a toasty 61 degrees.

I know, beware of CO2 but in a 1,400 sq ft house with a 3 ton system that cannot keep up, lack of oxygen is not my problem.
    It's beware of CO, Carbon Monoxide.
    And your blood takes in the CO, which prevents it from getting oxygen from the air. So you die of a lack of oxygen, while being surrounded by it.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Regretting not picking up that kerosene heater now since we lost power 14+ hours ago. Thankfully the fire is going in the fireplace and TSC had a 5.5KW Generator left [wanted a 6.5 or 7.5 but I'll take what I can get considering I have no power].

Top Bottom