• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    I literally read everything available on the internet about these two guns. I found more reliability complaints on the Kahr PM9 than for the KT PF-9.

This is why I put off buying my PM9 for years. But once I went ahead and took a chance mine has been 100% reliable. Either mine is a fluke or they have seemed to work out all the bugs. I'm very happy with my PM9.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    A SD/HD gun that is no fun to practice with? Wow, I hope if you ever have to use it to defend your life that you hit what you aim at.

I'm sure this has been said thousands of times before but in my opinion it bears repeating.

In a life threatening situation every action needs to be automatic, pure reflex. The only way to get there is with LOTS of practice. Just because you can shoot gun A adequately doesn't mean you can shoot gun B just as well. In many situations you will not have time to adjust your grip, get into your stance and remember just how is this trigger pull. We all have guns we don't shoot regularly. They are just for fun but our defense guns need to be the ones we shoot the most.

Sorry for the soap box

I disagree with this in part. If you shoot enough you can do well with any gun you pick up. Knowing proper sight picture and proper trigger pull will work with the majority of handguns out there. I have on more than one occasion picked up a gun I have never shot before and won a competition with it. I do admit I have more trigger time than most but if a person is willing to shoot weekly and do dry fire practice they can do well with any gun they pick up. The only problems will arise with guns they are unfamiliar with the manual of arms with.

For example I have had folks in classes unable to qualify with the 2" Taurus they bought for SD do to poor sights and horrible trigger. Yet because they know the basics of sight picture and trigger pull they can qualify with a Glock 19 without practicing with it first.

Yes, it is important to practice with the gun you carry, but it isn't necessary to shoot it more than your other guns. I don't enjoy putting much more than 50 rounds of full power loads through my airweight 325PD in 45, it hurts. But I know the hours and thousands of rounds shooting my Combat Masterpiece will allow me to hit with it when I need to. The basics will transfer to any gun you shoot.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I tried both at the gun store.
    Try to handle them both if you can before you pick one.
    The PF9's grip was a bit too thin for my hand, I like the P11's grip better.It feels more like a full size gun.
    I liked the bigger magazine of the P11 over the PF9 too.It comes with a 10 round mag but I bought an extra 12 round mag for it (they have the same size, I guess they do the 10 rounds mag for legal reasons in states like CA).
    Also I found out that you can use 15 rounds mags on the P11, that's good for a spare mag.So you can carry your gun with 12+1 rounds in it and one extra 15 rounds mag.That's 28 rounds of 9mm for such a small gun!

Im saling my P11 (never fired, with 3 mags and holster) if anyone is interested PM me.
    Unfortunetly my girlfriend lost her job and needs the money.
    I will get another one as soon as I can.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    +1 for the PF9. If you don't mind the size of the P11, there are better choices out there. The size of the PF9 is what sets it apart (and of course its price). If capacity is a concern, consider a spare magazine.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I tried both at the gun store.
    Try to handle them both if you can before you pick one.
    The PF9's grip was a bit too thin for my hand, I like the P11's grip better.It feels more like a full size gun.
    I liked the bigger magazine of the P11 over the PF9 too.It comes with a 10 round mag but I bought an extra 12 round mag for it (they have the same size, I guess they do the 10 rounds mag for legal reasons in states like CA).
    Also I found out that you can use 15 rounds mags on the P11, that's good for a spare mag.So you can carry your gun with 12+1 rounds in it and one extra 15 rounds mag.That's 28 rounds of 9mm for such a small gun!

Im saling my P11 (never fired, with 3 mags and holster) if anyone is interested PM me.
    Unfortunetly my girlfriend lost her job and needs the money.
    I will get another one as soon as I can.

I see what you did there, clever lol. That wont get deleted. :n00b:

But back on topic, I have a PF-9 and I really like it. It was relatively cheap, its great to carry comfortably, and I have 100 rounds through it and I shoot it pretty well.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Looking for a Compact 9mm. Fondled a Kel Tec PF9 and a P11 today, they were sweet, but i just can't decide what one to go with. the p11 has more capacity, but the PF9 seems to be the way Kel Tec is going with things, better sights and a bottom rail. I just can't decide, both are excellent guns.

I think you need to consider that both of these pistols are for personal defense and not target pistols by any means. That being said, having "better sights and a bottom rail" is something that is really not needed in the case of its intended purpose (7 yards or less, conversational range).

I have both of them. I like the wider grip of the P-11 and do not use a finger extension on the mag. I carry this one IWB very comfortably all day. For the PF9, I bought that for my wife to carry although she ends up carrying her LCP more often.

Between the two, my preference is the P-11 just because it is slightly wider and carries 10 + 1 with a standard mag.

mwmccormick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Seymour
    I also ccw the P11 in a CompTac Minotaur. Its unbelieveably comfortable. I even started a really cheesy thread praising that wonderful holster. I fall aslepp in my lazy chair with it on all the time. The P11 trigger is a bi@ch though. I would like to try the trigger buddy if someone could point me to an inexpensive one. The Houge Jr grip kinda sucked to put on as well but made all the difference in the world. I've shot winchester white box and the Remington "HD" 124 grain heavier loads through it and couldn't tell the difference so recoil control was way better than I expected from such a small frame. Very satisfied for the most part though.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Both are nice guns for the money. I have a P11 that's been pretty much flawless through about 500 rounds. It's definitely not a target or range gun but you'll want to put about 200 rounds through to break it in and get used to the loooooooooong trigger pull. I like the wider grip on the P11 vs the PF9 but have shot both and would recommend either one. I've been happy with mine overall.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I just picked up a P11 and have been carrying it in a Renegade ankle holster made for a Glock 36. Fits well, much lighter and less clunky. I even forgot I was wearing it.

I can't say anything about the P9 since I have no experience with it, but I have big hands and the P11 fits well. I am pretty happy with it.

farva118

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Lake County
    I've shot both and own a PF9. Got the pf9 for Christmas a few years back and ran into issues with carry ammo. Learned that I have to steer clear of +P ammo. Standard pressure 115 gr. Speer Gold Dot shoots flawlessly. PF9 is my backup gun, thin enough that it fits in my front vest pocket so it's always there.

Now the P-11...
    My partner has it in an ankle holster. After a few weeks, the rear sight fell off. A call and incoming mail from Kel-Tec we're back in business. Then there's the trigger pull. All I can say about that trigger from the factory is, wow. I just don't understand how a company can send that out to customers and say "That's good enough." Complete garbage. Not saying the PF9's is amazing either, but out of the two...

PF9 ALL THE WAY HOME.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Ill be at the shop tomorrow and Friday for sure And have a Khar that you can try out if you want in 9 and 40. Its a $5 rental but ill take the rental fee off the gun if you decide to purchase it. see link below for location and hours.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Carried a P11 for a while and hated it. Just did not like anything about it. I have not had a chance to shoot or own a PF9. However, I have handled a few and it is on my list.

wahlspyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    Have the P11 and like it - very reliable, get the belt clip for easy carry. Have handled the PF9 and like it too - flatter profile=easy concealability. Have never shot the PF9 but from what I have heard that it has a different trigger design which equates to a better trigger pull? Doubt you will go wrong either way

leedawg77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    Nice thing about the P11 is that the S&W 15 rnd mag can be used and they make a handle extension for the P11 that slides onto the 15 rnd mag so it is flush. Not sure if they do the same for the PF9 or not.

I am still in the break in period on my P11. A few jams with cheap ammo. But very accurate.

Top Bottom