• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    All manufacturing has rejects. Really great manufacturing has defects running at less than 1 per thousand with tight specifications. Others have high quality levels by widening their standard deviation to include almost everything coming off the line.

From what I have seen, Ruger has much tighter specifications than Kel-Tech, but that is just my opinion. See if you can return the Kel-Tech for full purchase credit and buy the Ruger. If not, have Kel-Tech make you whole. I'd not want the piece were it me.

El Guero

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2011
    Nw Indiana
    ship to kel tec they will fix at no charge, but be ready to wait 4 to 5 weeks, i have few kel tec and they break very easy, i like them but not very dependable.

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    I'vd got a friend in the D.O.C. here that was shooting that same gun at my private range and took his back to the gunshop and they sent it off to keltech. They worked it over and polished up the ramp, put in a new recoil spring and tweaked it to function properly and consistantly.

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have one and have never had any problerms with it. It sounds like you either got a lemon or maybe someone did some DIY gunsmithing on it. People are always trying to tweek these guns. The guy at the gun shop, IMO shouldnt have put it on his shelf until he figured out why it was having the problems. All manufacturers have quality issues from time to time. Unlike some others on this post, so far I have had decent luck with Kel Tecs. You will get FTE's with these guns if you limp wrist though. I would try to take it back to the gun shop if it were me. Kel Tec would not be the first gun I would grab if my life depended on it but i think they are decent guns for the money.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    My Luck

I have a Kel-Tec P32. I have shot 50 rounds thorugh it, and
    have had to send it in for repair twice.
    To bad, because when it works, it shoots great and very accurate
    for what it is.
    Kel-Tec customer service people are the nicest on earth, but I have
    severe reservations about their products.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    A bunch of the early pistols had quality issues, fo sho! Later versions, not so much.

My PF-9 eats everyting I throw at it so far. I buy deals so it's had some real garbage in the mag and out the bizness end. I've put mucho PD ammo of all kinds through it too with no problems.

Many have had their ramps polished and it's helped their ailments. I haven't had my ramp polished since New Orleans in '87 though. Massacod, visa, no emmican spress!

I can't dent they're cheap (inexpensive, too) guns. It's just a real hoot to shoot and I use it as an EDC all summer long.

YMMV, I know...

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    After reading most of these posts. My KTPF9 went back to the factory FREE three times, when it came back the 3rd time it was new. Now it is for sale while I can in good conscience sell it as a new firearm with one new mag. People either love them or hate them. It sounds like Indiana gets more than their share of lemons.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    All lines have their lemons and this sounds like this is a design problem with the PF9. Seems unfair to demonize the whole Keltec line because of it. Like saying your F150 is going to explode in a rear end collision because the Pintos did.

Examples of them 'breaking easily' please?

:popcorn:

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    All lines have their lemons and this sounds like this is a design problem with the PF9. Seems unfair to demonize the whole Keltec line because of it. Like saying your F150 is going to explode in a rear end collision because the Pintos did.

:popcorn:

Not sure if your post was aimed at me or not, but I'm not demonizing anything. I'm asking for examples because to generalize that these guns "break easily" is unfair. I'm in defense of Keltec here, not demonizing them.

But an F150 will most definitely explode. Especially in a rear end collision! This is due to an unsupported muffler.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Kel-Tec

I have a Kel-Tec P32. It has been back to Kel-Tec twice, and has
    only had 60 rounds through it. Magazine keeps falling out.
    Kel-Tec customer service, is the best I have ever delt with.
    Unfortunately, they use Kel-Tec parts, in Kel-Tec guns.
    I believe their lifetime warranty, only applies to the original owner.
    I know many people have good luck with Kel-Tec's, but not me.
    To bad, could be a really cool CC pistol.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    My P3at and a P32 have never had any issues. FTE is expected within 100 rds break in as stated in the owners manual and I had 2 FTE in the first 50. No further malfunctions several hundred rounds later.
    But for true reliability go with the 88 magnum as seen in my avatar..

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    My P-11 only has had magazine related problems, the two mags I carry every day work flawlessly. Mackey..... we need an update, did your bathroom repair fix the problem? I'll take a P-32!!!

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Sorry to hear the firing pin went bork. Lucky for you the hammer caught it before falling out...

My first and so far only Taurus firearm (PT-845) also had the firing pin fail to stay in place, unfortunately the hammer didn't catch it though and it hit a friend in the chest. We wear glasses and non-glasses-wearing shooters do wear safety glasses around where we shoot. It's required =)

Top Bottom