• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Depending on your definition of the word "pocket," the PF-9 is marginal for pocket carry and I personally would not try to pocket carry a P-11 at all. ***

If you are considering occasional pocket carry, the PF-9 is an excellent compromise between size and oomph. However, for most pants, a PF-9 is not a back pocket ("wallet-style)" option.

If pocket carry will be the primary means of carry , then either buy smaller caliber (LCP or P3-AT) or be prepared to spend much more money. Like double or triple.

In the interests of full disclosure. I do not own a PF-9. However, I plan to buy one when I have the funds. My criteria were:

- 9 MM (many)
    - light weight, so I can carry it while running (starts to narrow)
    - slim enough to occasionally pocket carry (narrower)
    - readily available and reasonably priced (Kel-Tec PF-9)

For the record, I think the forthcoming pocket 9MM from microtech looks cool, but only 5 rounds....really?

*** Note: I do not wear cargo pants or tactical pants ever and I am too absent minded to pocket carry a pistol in a jacket that I will likely remove quite frequently. For me, "occasional pocket carry" means the front pocket in a basic pair of jeans.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Depending on your definition of the word "pocket," the PF-9 is marginal for pocket carry and I personally would not try to pocket carry a P-11 at all. ***

If you are considering occasional pocket carry, the PF-9 is an excellent compromise between size and oomph. However, for most pants, a PF-9 is not a back pocket ("wallet-style)" option.

If pocket carry will be the primary means of carry , then either buy smaller caliber (LCP or P3-AT) or be prepared to spend much more money. Like double or triple.

In the interests of full disclosure. I do not own a PF-9. However, I plan to buy one when I have the funds. My criteria were:

- 9 MM (many)
    - light weight, so I can carry it while running (starts to narrow)
    - slim enough to occasionally pocket carry (narrower)
    - readily available and reasonably priced (Kel-Tec PF-9)

For the record, I think the forthcoming pocket 9MM from microtech looks cool, but only 5 rounds....really?

*** Note: I do not wear cargo pants or tactical pants ever and I am too absent minded to pocket carry a pistol in a jacket that I will likely remove quite frequently. For me, "occasional pocket carry" means the front pocket in a basic pair of jeans.

I agree, it's bulky enough that your pocket carry options are limited. it works in an Uncle Mike's wallet-style holster, but I have found that it bands around as you walk and is only comfortable if you wear something baggy like cargo shorts. I have carried it while running but it really is heavy and bangs around.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'd like to carry my pf9 on the ankle. Anyone use Galco, Desantis, other recommendations? Would like one sooner than later, but dont want to get something I'll never use.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I have the Kel-Tec in 380 that I have been using in hot weather, but it is just too small in my hand. That is the reason why I started to look into Kel-Tec's two 9mm. It will be carried inside the belt with just a T-shirt for cover.
    I knew that I would be able to get good information here. I'm looking for something that I can feel confidant in.

mcshaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Pro PF9

I own the PF9.

Originally purchased it because of price(us poor folk need guns too) and size. I wanted super concealable but still firing 9mm.

Fits in my back pocket.
    I've carried it in backside IWB and in cargo pocket at work for 3 years, no one had a clue until I had to draw it.

I have read people giving it a bad rep which worried me at first. But, I have been extremely happy with it.

Because of it's small size I had stovepipe jams (FTE) when I first started range practice with it. Just need to keep wrist stiff and it fires every time no problems.

zcsmith464

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Noblesville
    The PF9 is a nice firearm if all that you want to do is use it as personal protection. If you want to go to the range and shoot a little, it is uncomfortable to shoot. It has a heavy trigger as well.... if that bothers you.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I have owned 2. I only sold the first one because I wanted the hard chrome instead of black.

I like it quite a bit and it shoots great - very easy to carry IMO.

My first one needed a "fluff n buff" to be 100% reliable, but this one shot great out of the box, FMJ and JHP alike.

Last time I was in PSS, they had the hard chrome for $279. Bradis was $299, and they'll price match.

Tallenn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Thorntown
    Just remembered the other reason I wasn't so impressed with it. It ate 115 grain FMJs all day, but was really finicky when it came to heavier, JHP rounds. It had FTFs on almost every mag with 147 gr Federal HSTs.

If it works for you, great. I'm just relaying my personal experience with it. Also, it's not the fact that it's Kel Tec, either. As I mentioned, I have a P3AT that I absolutely love, and I'm thinking of eventually getting a Kel Tec RFB one day, too. I like the company (awesome customer service), but I just didn't like that particular model.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    I'm glad you started this thread. I'm thinking of getting a P-32 as a back up, and they seem really cool, but I don't know anyone who's owned them besides a cop, and he's never fired his.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    Tallenn, that is the kind of info I'm looking for, something that might help me decide between the two. I have been leaning toward the PF-9

Vic, I don't have any experience with the 32 but I own a 380. I like the pistol it just feels a little small in my hand. If you would like to try it out we don't live that far apart.

Tallenn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Thorntown
    Tallenn, that is the kind of info I'm looking for, something that might help me decide between the two. I have been leaning toward the PF-9

Vic, I don't have any experience with the 32 but I own a 380. I like the pistol it just feels a little small in my hand. If you would like to try it out we don't live that far apart.
    Well, like I said, I like the company. I've never known another gun manufacturer with better customer service. If you are having a problem with one of their guns, they'll make it right. I've heard this isn't necessarily true if you aren't the original owner, but not first hand.

As for the .380- of course it's small in your hand: it's a really small gun. It most definitely is NOT a range gun. I don't shoot it very much, because well, it's not particularly fun to shoot. I just shoot it enough to keep in practice with it. It hurts my hands after just a few magazines, but it sure feels good knowing I can be armed while wearing practically anything.

It just something we all have to realize: everything about concealed carry is compromise. A handgun caliber, even a big one like a .45, is a compromise over a rifle caliber. But it's just a bit hard to conceal a Garand. A really small gun (like the P3AT) is going to be hard to shoot, not to mention underpowered- but it's one of the most concealable guns there is. Everything is give and take.

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    I'm a tall and skinny guy, its hard to find shirts that hang low enough when I'm being active, and will still not look ridiculously too large. I carry a P3at either front IWB or on my ankle. It has that handy little clip that still leaves enough sticking above my pants to draw with if you cant it slightly. Mine shoots far right, and I know its not my trigger squeeze, but its a very accurate and predictable group. The weapon functions flawlessly after its break in period, and I feel more than capable stopping any would-be assailant with my little pocket gun. For me, it was a matter of size and money.

Top Bottom