• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Littlejoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Elrod Indiana
    Can anyone tell me about the little Kel -Tec 380's. Thinking of replacing my everyday Glock 26 with one. The 26 is getting a little heavy in my pocket. Just want it to be reliable. Thanks.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I have had one for as long as they have been out, Great little gun, I also switch it up with a Khar CW 9 it is not much bigger or heaver and is a 8 shot 9 mm. Love them both as pocket guns and carry one or the other every day, both very reliable and accurate. Hope this helps.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i would not get rid of the glock. i agree its too heavy for pocket use, but its a great gun.

i would look into the Taurus 709 slim. i just bought one. i HATED the p3at. its trigger S-U-C-K-E-D, as did the grip and the recoil. plus, the ammo is a bit scarce. mine jammed on every other round, even after i had passed the "break-in" period.

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Pretty popular as a pocket carry pistol. I have shot one and they are snappy but great for throwing in your pocket to run a quick errand. For the price they are comparable to the Ruger LCP. The Kel-Tec does not have a slide stop and the Ruger's craftmanship seems a little higher quality. I personally would not sell my G26 to buy either.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    You do have to find the right hollow point, but then it's all good. I use critical defense Hornaday. It works great no jams. Little bit snappy on the recoil, but then again it's a pretty light gun.

tcshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Been carrying one pretty regularly for the past 2 years. Like it a lot since I can even drop in the pocket of my jogging shorts and nobody can tell.

Prefer to carry it in a small kydex holster suspended on a string hung around my neck under a loose shirt. Pretty flat and easy to hide and readily accessible and in an unusual enough place most people don't notice it.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    JHP in a .380 is just about a waste of time and money. Ball will always feed, and at bad breath distance, the JHP probably isn't going to open up and will act like ball.

A smarter guy than me says "In a gunfight, no one ever wished they had a smaller gun or less ammo".

The Kel-Tec's I've had and have are decent guns. I qualified with my P3AT when I was with the Sheriff's dept without much trouble (25yds was the max distance).

Truth be told, I'd rather carry a J-frame now as a BUG or quick trip gun. Speer 135gr Gold Dots perform a helluva lot better than any 90gr .380 ever will.

My 0.02

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    they're good, but why get a .380 when you can get a p11 9mm thats the same size?:dunno: I carry one in my pocket, its super lightweight, never jams, holds 10+1 rounds of 9mm, and fits in the palm of your hand. ALSO, if you wanna take it a step further, get a couple S&W 95 clips for it, and you have 14 rounds of 9mm in the palm of your hand.....To me it doesn't gte any better than that, as I need a low profile pocket gun. Everybody complains about the trigger, but its really not that bad once you get used to it, plus thats your only "safety" feature, so you wont see me complain.Just my :twocents:

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    they're good, but why get a .380 when you can get a p11 9mm thats the same size?:dunno: I carry one in my pocket, its super lightweight, never jams, holds 10+1 rounds of 9mm, and fits in the palm of your hand. ALSO, if you wanna take it a step further, get a couple S&W 95 clips for it, and you have 14 rounds of 9mm in the palm of your hand.....To me it doesn't gte any better than that, as I need a low profile pocket gun. Everybody complains about the trigger, but its really not that bad once you get used to it, plus thats your only "safety" feature, so you wont see me complain.Just my :twocents:
    :scratch: Same size? Umm, not even close. While I do get the allure of the 3at, I prefer the P32. Yeah, a little less power, but greater reliability and last round hold open. Plus, the recoil is very tame.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    sorry for the repost. accident. But I would have to say there is not a whole lot of major size difference between the two. I've never shot any of the other keltecs tho...

I don't know... I would say major size difference. Owned both... Still own the P3AT.

MAJOR
    weights.jpg

P3AT, PF9, P11
    pf9p.jpg

p11p3at.jpg

GLOCK 27, Kel-Tec P11, Kel-Tec PF9, and Kel-Tec P3AT.
    quad.jpg

Courtesy: Defining A True Pocket Pistol

Last edited:

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    I carried a p11 for several years but when the p3at came out I was blown away with how thin the p3at was. The p3at is so thin and light I could forget it is there. When I started shopping for a carry piece many years ago I was told to buy the biggest thing I would carry ALL the time. I didn't listen and started with a 45 and have been buying smaller pistols ever since.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    haha. My fault everybody. I must have gotten confused. My friend had what I thought was a P3AT, but I think it was one of the Kahr models now:)::rolleyes:. At least I can laugh at myself right?:dunno: haha. Sorry again, but no matter what model GET A KELTEC MAN!:ar15:I dont think you'll be let down.

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    I've shot a couple of these and thought they worked great but i just couldn't talk myself into going with the 380 so i settled for the 9mm pf9 and i really like it. I even just picked up the p40, it's the same size as the pt11 and doesn't hide quite as well. The 380 does completly disapear in your pocket.
    :twocents:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    they're good, but why get a .380 when you can get a p11 9mm thats the same size?:dunno:

Well, the P3AT is close to half the weight, which makes a difference if you want to throw it in the pocket of your jeans.

I do not find it fun to practice with. So light and snappy, but it is so concealable if you need it, it would be hard to give it up for that reason. I use it when I have to; otherwise, I carry a Bersa 9mm with 17+1.

Keep the Glock, buy the P3AT for those times when a very light and concealable weapon is needed. I use Corbon DPX ammo and have no trouble feeding. If you are worried about .380 ammo, most murders are done with .22's. I also have my Great Grandma's 32 blackpowder pistol which seemed to be good enough in the old days for self protection. The .380 ammo far out performs the old 32 black powder ammo.

I have two small handguns in .380, the P3AT and a Bersa 380 CC. The Bersa is too large to comfortably carry in a pocket but it has it's place in my computer case. The Bersa is much more fun and comfortable to shoot at the range.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom