• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The local liquor store only carries higher quality beer in 1/6th keg sizes most notibly is amber bock at 48 dollars for a 1/6th keg.

does anyone have any idea where i can buy a kegorator in the indianapolis area for a cheap price that will take 1/6th kegs.

has anyone put a 1/6th keg into a full size kegorator?

another other tips/advice for going this route?

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    All the guys I know brew their own beer. They all bought old fridges and you can then fit multiple of those little kegs into each one and run lines out and add a tap. Easy peasy.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Any kegerator will work. It just takes a different coupler. It's really an easy plumbing job. Kegerators, Wine Refrigerators, Water Coolers, Beer Taps, Compact Refrigerators | BeverageFactory.com is a good place to buy the couplers. I've had good service from them.

There's a compatibility chart at bev factory too, but your liquor store should also be able to help you. The guys at Crown are knowledgeable, as well as Kahn's on keystone.

As far as buying a kegerator in Indy, just about any restaurant supply house can help with that. I've seen them at Lowes and HD too. Craigslist is another good source. If you have a fridge in the garage, you can buy a conversion kit or just use a picnic tap. Any welding supply store can fix you up with an 02 tank.

Feel free to send me a PM.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    You can talk to the guys over at www.homebrewchatter.com

A lot of good knowledge over there, even if you don't brew your own beer. Many many DIY'ers over there (myself included). I go by a different handle over there. If you look in the kegerator section you will see a bunch of different home built kegerators, and links to supply stores that you can find equipment at cheap.

Best bet with a sixtel is going to be to find a fridge that works and convert it. You are not limited to "dorm" size fridges. Lots of guys take a standard under/over type and put a tap in the door. IMO it's cheaper than buying a tower and converting a small fridge, plus you will still have room for your other beer in there too. That is of course if you have the room for it. Some guys take chest freezers, or even upright freezers (which is what I have) and turn them into kegerators, heck I have seen kegerators build out of ply wood and foam board.

Lots of options out there, I would suggest (like with a gun purchase), explore them all and find what is going to fit best for you.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The local liquor store only carries higher quality beer in 1/6th keg sizes most notibly is amber bock at 48 dollars for a 1/6th keg.

does anyone have any idea where i can buy a kegorator in the indianapolis area for a cheap price that will take 1/6th kegs.

Call the folks at Great Fermentations in Indy and see if they have the kits you might need to convert a fridge. They may even have a kegerator or two. For cheap fridges (full size) check Menards. They often have used ones for sale outside for around 25-30 bucks.

abrumlev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    NE Indy
    kegconnection did me well. I bought a 2 keg (cornies) setup with 10# CO2, dual manifold and two regular taps and just threw it in the bottom section of my refrigerator!

Its awesome :)...but I also brew my own beer which is even better.

Whatever you do, don't buy a kegerator...so much $$$ when you can spend 200 on parts and 100 on a fridge and have your own personalized fridge.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Try Shiner Bock on draft.

Seen that a lot of people have recommended converting refrigerators, this is a great and cheaper route, but......

Make sure you get one that can also do a full size 1/2 bbl, I will almost guarantee later down the road you'll want to do one for a party and a 1/2 bbl is 7.3 cases of beer.

Also, make sure the bottom is very sturdy and reinforce it with either a metal plate or equivalent.

Also you will need to clean the lines once a month to prevent yeast buildup and will need a cleaning kit.

Lastly, if you decide to go with a Miller/Coors product or another product that my company distributes, I'll see if I can get you a Tap handle.:D

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    All beer is better on draft, because it isn't pasturized.

Do you have a reference for that? Because I can think of about 100 beers off the top of my head that aren't pasturized in any form of packaging, more if I actually put any thought into it.
    Not all beer is pasturized in the bottle/can.

Try Shiner Bock on draft.

Seen that a lot of people have recommended converting refrigerators, this is a great and cheaper route, but......

Make sure you get one that can also do a full size 1/2 bbl, I will almost guarantee later down the road you'll want to do one for a party and a 1/2 bbl is 7.3 cases of beer.

Also, make sure the bottom is very sturdy and reinforce it with either a metal plate or equivalent.

Also you will need to clean the lines once a month to prevent yeast buildup and will need a cleaning kit.

Lastly, if you decide to go with a Miller/Coors product or another product that my company distributes, I'll see if I can get you a Tap handle.:D

While I am not trying to refute what you are saying entirely, because well, your name is IndyBeerman, and I am going to go ahead and make the assumtion that you work in the beer industry, or just like beer a LOT, or maybe both.
    But he won't necessarily need to go out and purchase a cleaning kit. At the Home Bar level a simple squeeze bottle with some PBW or similar beer line wash in it will do the trick of removing any beer stone or similar build up. And some Starsan if you want to sanitize the lines before you hook them back up.
    He shouldn't need to worry about a build up of yeast if he is going with any of the "Big 3's" lines of beer, as all but their wheats are filtered, so there should be no yeast in there.

I have had a kegerator for about 9 years now and been brewing beer for just about the same amount of time. You are going to need to worry more about the cleanliness of your faucets then the line itself.

I would recomend going with the forward sealing Perlick faucets, as they have a tendency to not stick as much as the rear sealing micromatics and the like. And they look a whole lot nicer.

Linky's:
    Perlicks
    Standard Rear Sealing

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom