• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GtEcH25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Bloomington
    I keep my mags loaded for work and keep them in my magazine holster for weeks at a time. The only time they'll get relief is if we have a training range or I think about it and I will unload them for my off days. But I've always been told to unload a mag fully to give them some relief.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I have come to learn that rounds in a magazine and being moved in and out, chambered or moved around can impact some rounds to the point of the bullet being seated a bit lower than spec. I would be more concern with this then the spring. I just learned this and not sure to what extent this can happen but I think it's one more thing to keep an eye on. I usually rotate my mags, and now will check to make sure I haven't caused any rounds to sit lower than they should.

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    They are designed to be loaded and ready for the fight.......Load'm up.

I do load 28 instead of 30. Not really for the spring, more for me, when you go to "seat" a full 30 round mag on a closed bolt, you need to push pretty hard at a bad angle, so, I leave to out to get a little more spring travel.....Good Luck

tpntch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    i have wondered the same thing. it makes good common sense that extra mags should already be loaded though.

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I have seen this question come up from time to time. The agreed to answer every time is that a spring will loose it's elasticity from being exercised not from being kept either extended nor compressed. The movement from going from one to the other frequently will wear them out. If you use them alot it is a good idea to replace the mag springs from time to time.

chadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    A major spring manufacturer says that a 1911 magazine spring will last longer if it is kept loaded light one round than if it is kept fully loaded all the time

TheGlockinator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    no problem leaving it loaded. Springs are meant to be compressed and decompressed. Its no different than constant reloading, the spring is going to get worked either way. In my opinion, keep it loaded!

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    While it's not true, even if it were it would be a small price to pay to have to occasionally replace the springs as opposed to having your guns unloaded.

Top Bottom