• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Firearms thefts are a hazard of owning firearms. If you are serious about having a firearm for protection, you need to recognize the issues involved, not only with HOW to carry a firearm and WHEN to carry it, but how to minimize the chances of its being stolen. For those who wish to have a "truck gun", there are relatively inexpensive car safes, just as there are gun safes available for the home. Storing a weapon in a gun safe when it's not ready for use is no less secure in a vehicle - when properly done - than in a home.

And - for the OP - storing a weapon in a vehicle while in a case, a gunsock, or a safe insulates it from the changes in temperature you are worried about. I carried a SUB2K in the back of a car for two years without touching it and had no troubles with rust or corrosion.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    That brings up the issue of advertising your stuff (or not) to thieves of all kind.
    Gun advertisements on your car, house, clothing?
    Long gun cases or long guns in and out of vehicles in public view?
    Ammo or ammo boxes in public view?
    Shooting in the back yard?
    Hate to start the :poop:, but it is advertising your stuff; Do you OC?

Yes I OC so the bad guy knows my gun is on me and not in the car.

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    I personally don't like to leave a weapon in my vehicle. But I work for a company that has a 'no weapons' policy. So I leave my carry in my vehicle and do not park in the company provided garage. Used to drive a beater to work so never worried too much about being a target. But between the recent posts about someone having their range bag stolen and a summer upgrade to a nicer vehicle (with no trunk) has had me thinking about doing an after market gun safe. Something like this, but with a more robust lock.

cv-exc3a.jpg

Assuming I can find something for the right price.

Last edited:

Emodude

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 7, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Gun in Car

I have always keep a gun in my truck glovebox. I have never had any problem with rust as a issue. I did how ever have a break in that concerned me however they only wanted the Cd player that I bought at a yardsale for 10 bucks if they had only looked in the glove box would have a got a nice gun instead, Since then I have installed a glove box gun safe, it is very smart and practical

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yes I OC so the bad guy knows my gun is on me and not in the car.

Assuming its your only gun and that you OC 100% of the time?

I'm not trying to get into the OC/CC debate, just saying that advertising a reason for theft is just that.

Hypothetical; One day you OC, the next day you don't. A thief seeing this might assume your gun is in your car? your home?

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Assuming its your only gun and that you OC 100% of the time?

I'm not trying to get into the OC/CC debate, just saying that advertising a reason for theft is just that.

Hypothetical; One day you OC, the next day you don't. A thief seeing this might assume your gun is in your car? your home?

I always OC unless I'm at work. I only CC there because I must "blend in". If I do CC outside of work, it's because of the weather and my coat covers it.

I probably should of used purple in my first post. They real reason I OC is because that's how I trained for the longest time. 4 hours on Tue, 4 hours Thur every week and 8 hours on Sat, 8 hours on Sun once a month for five months. About 256 hours of training this way. It was how I learned and it's how I'm most comfortable carrying.

I own a few different guns, but if you see me wearing one out to car you'll see me wearing it back into my home also. The only gun that stays in a car for any length of time is my 12 gauge when I'm working at the apartment complex. Even though is can be seen, it's in a lock bolted down.

Last edited:

mikedippert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What's INGO'S opinion on vehicular storage when my body goes somewhere my gun can't (i.e. Govt building, school property)? Also at work maybe, but that's voluntary, I think. I sit for 8-10 hours 5-6 days a week. For my body's sake, I have a 'form fitting' chair that would make waist carry very uncomfortable.

Here's the zinger, I have a soft top Wrangler, so nothing even resembling a trunk. I never lock it because the top and windows are expensive to replace if they are cut open (& I don't want to increase my premiums by making frivolous claims). And then there's always summer when I drive around topless & doorless. There's a 'vault' made by a leading secure vehicle storage company:
    https://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-288-tuffy-tj-03-06-lj-conceal-carry-security-drawer-flip-seat.aspx
    I'd would of course also find a safe specifically for guns to put inside this 'vault'.
    o
    At work, I don't have anywhere I could lock my gun if I remove it from my body. The previous occupant of my cubicle took the cabinet key with him when he was let go. I suppose I could bolt a safe inside a drawer.

P.s. I half expect the same comments, just curious about the temporary vs more permanent vehicle storage.

Last edited:

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I always keep at least one firearm in my car at all times. Like many, my company has a no firearm policy so I cannot bring it with me. I store mine in the trunk inside a Bore-Stor. I also inspect the firearms every couple of weeks to make sure no rust is forming.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I always OC unless I'm at work. I only CC there because I must "blend in". If I do CC outside of work, it's because of the weather and my coat covers it.

I probably should of used purple in my first post. They real reason I OC is because that's how I trained for the longest time. 4 hours on Tue, 4 hours Thur every week and 8 hours on Sat, 8 hours on Sun once a month for five months. About 256 hours of training this way. It was how I learned and it's how I'm most comfortable carrying.

I own a few different guns, but if you see me wearing one out to car you'll see me wearing it back into my home also. The only gun that stays in a car for any length of time is my 12 gauge when I'm working at the apartment complex. Even though is can be seen, it's in a lock bolted down.

Again, not trying to get into the OC/CC thing. Just pointing out that anything of high value exposed could make you a target. If that high value item is a gun, it also paints you as a "gun guy." My experience has been that "gun guys" get guns stolen much more often than those that fly under the radar.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I almost always keep a handgun in my car, but Im undecided on what to do now that we're coming into winter. Some tell me the car warming up during the day will cause condensation......which will obviously cause rust. I set out a couple weeks ago to find something on the cheaper end to keep as a car gun. Something along the polymer flavor. You'll notice I don't own anything polymer at the moment. Not that I dislike polymer, just don't prefer it. Anyway I was thinking of getting a glock, m&p, or xd but then found a great deal on a p226 elite that was barely(if any) more than one of those would have cost me. Anyway, what do you guys do about keeping a gun in your vehicle? The thought of one of my nice sigs or emp rusting in my car during the day is unsettling to say the least. Bringing it in the house every night is possible, yet would get annoying quickly. Taking it in while at work is not an option. Should I find a $300-350ish "cheapy" or is this even a real concern? What's your opinion?
    My only concerns would be (1) It could be stolen, and more importantly or 2)someone not licensed would be found with a loaded handgun while using your vehicle. I often leave on hidden in my vehicle but the only ones that ever use my vehicle are my wife, Son or DIL and they all have LTCH'S. I wouldn't leave a real valuable gun in the car but am not concerned about rust or other issues from temperature cycling. As far as the possibility of providing a thief with a gun, anyone can obtain one from just about any low class bar just by saying he is looking for one. He probably will pay twice what its worth - but probably paying for it with stolen or drug money anyhow. I would if possible find a chrome plated or stainless gun, but with proper lubrication no rust or excess wear will happen to a blued gun. Just make sure you wipe the gun down with a lubed rag after handling and it should be good for several months storage in a normal car environment.

himant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Thought they passed a law prohibiting employers from restricting guns in private auts,, but I keep mine well out of plain site***,

HandyAndy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Fort Wayne (SWAC)
    In regard to your former desk inhabitant-

Cubicle locks can usually be re keyed in an easy, quick, and dirty fashion if you're interested. Pull the cylinder apart (it is most likely a biscuit lock), find a key that fits in the cylinder, with the key inserted all the way in, file off any biscuits that stick out. Quick and dirty, but it works. If it's not a biscuit style, than it could still be done, I'd just need to see it to give you the info. Not sure where you're located but if you're anywhere near Fort Wayne I could help you out if you need/want it.

mikedippert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    In regard to your former desk inhabitant-

Cubicle locks can usually be re keyed in an easy, quick, and dirty fashion if you're interested. Pull the cylinder apart (it is most likely a biscuit lock), find a key that fits in the cylinder, with the key inserted all the way in, file off any biscuits that stick out. Quick and dirty, but it works. If it's not a biscuit style, than it could still be done, I'd just need to see it to give you the info. Not sure where you're located but if you're anywhere near Fort Wayne I could help you out if you need/want it.
    Thanks for the tip! I got to thinking about it last night, and found a website that sells replacement keys for common office locks. Mine happens to have a code, so I ordered one last night for $7. Good thing too, I need some kind of tool to pull the lock out of the cabinet. It's fully encased in sheet metal.

So my work dilemma is solved. Still wondering about temporary storage in my Jeep though. Gun safe bolted to that lock box, bolted to the floor under the driver seat.

bigelowe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    bullitt county
    I kept a g27 in a leather Fanny pack in my truck for years. Shot and cleaned it once or twice a year. Never had any trouble with rust from the temp changes, moisture........whatever.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    There are certain situations where leaving a gun in a car is necessary, but overall I don't see myself ever leaving a gun in the car all the times.

My guns stay on my person when I leave the house, not in the car where it can fall into the wrong hands.

Top Bottom