• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I'm a little late on this thread, but my truck is also ALWAYS locked, and by the time I heard the alarm go off and grabbed another pistol, the pistol that always stayed "safely" locked inside was gone. Evidentally, the thief didn't care about my truck being locked or the alarm going off. Not a good plan.

Ya, cause leaving guns locked in your home is so much better when your not there.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    Just make sure to oil all the metal parts regularlly and all should be fine. This will also help you keep an eye on any possible rust problem.

Maybe try some of that Frog Lube stuff I have been hearing about.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    my main concere has been with a firearm stolen, number one another firearm on the street in the hands of some gangbanger. Number 2 is you are out all that money for your firearm, odds are your insurance will not cover it:xmad:. So the plan goes in finding something cheaper and still reliable, found a used xd45 for 450. or a charter arms 357 for 350, I have found both these to be reliable. I mean it would be bad enough to lose a wepons due to a car breck in by at least this way you would be out less money.:dunno:

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    How many of you worry warts have you guns insured? All of mine are covered under my homeowners policy. I am sure you can do the same with renters insurance as well.

I never put a rider on my homeowner's policy, but I do have the $2,500.00 worth of insurance from the NRA. This obviously won't cover all of my guns, but it would cover a pistol if it was stolen out of the car. Obviously, a thief can break into my car anywhere, but if I am in an area is known for having a lot of break-ins, I usually take my gun with me.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I take a gun to the truck every morning and back to the house every evening. The only issue I have had is occasionally having to run back out to the truck because I forgot it. Also, if it has been sitting in the truck all day and you come out from work and decide you want to put on your IWB it's going to be an eye opening experience.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I almost always keep a handgun in my car, but Im undecided on what to do now that we're coming into winter. Some tell me the car warming up during the day will cause condensation......which will obviously cause rust. I set out a couple weeks ago to find something on the cheaper end to keep as a car gun. Something along the polymer flavor. You'll notice I don't own anything polymer at the moment. Not that I dislike polymer, just don't prefer it. Anyway I was thinking of getting a glock, m&p, or xd but then found a great deal on a p226 elite that was barely(if any) more than one of those would have cost me. Anyway, what do you guys do about keeping a gun in your vehicle? The thought of one of my nice sigs or emp rusting in my car during the day is unsettling to say the least. Bringing it in the house every night is possible, yet would get annoying quickly. Taking it in while at work is not an option. Should I find a $300-350ish "cheapy" or is this even a real concern? What's your opinion?
    You can get a new Hipoint for under 200 dollars. If I leave one in the car, hardly ever happens because I always carry with me, I would leave the Hipoint in there and not worry about the temperature change.:twocents:

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    This is ridiculous. How many of you leave guns inside your house when your not home?

Just remember one is none and two is one. Its not like a thieve automatically knows you have a gun in your car. How many times have you guys seen thieves hiding in the shadows waiting for you to park your car so they can break into it?

Ya, cause leaving guns locked in your home is so much better when your not there.

I gotta tell you, your attitude really pisses me off. I live in a nice suburban neighborhood. I don't have a gun rack mounted in the back window of my pickup truck. I don't OC. I don't advertise. My firearms are covered by my homeowners insurance. But let me tell you something. It can still happen, and when it does, it is one of the most horrible feelings I can imagine. Watching the news for a report of someone innocent getting shot, maybe a child, maybe someone you know, maybe your child or your wife, getting shot with YOUR firearm. There is no way you can compare the "safety" of a firearm being locked in a vehicle versus being locked in a home. Don't even try. And feeling better because it was insured? HA! It didnt make me feel a damn bit better. The money I lost had nothing to do with the anquish and fear involved. You have every right to keep your weapon locked in your vehicle at all times. But don't you freakin dare try to insult or belittle someone who feels otherwise from experience.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I gotta tell you, your attitude really pisses me off. I live in a nice suburban neighborhood. I don't have a gun rack mounted in the back window of my pickup truck. I don't OC. I don't advertise. My firearms are covered by my homeowners insurance. But let me tell you something. It can still happen, and when it does, it is one of the most horrible feelings I can imagine. Watching the news for a report of someone innocent getting shot, maybe a child, maybe someone you know, maybe your child or your wife, getting shot with YOUR firearm. There is no way you can compare the "safety" of a firearm being locked in a vehicle versus being locked in a home. Don't even try. And feeling better because it was insured? HA! It didnt make me feel a damn bit better. The money I lost had nothing to do with the anquish and fear involved. You have every right to keep your weapon locked in your vehicle at all times. But don't you freakin dare try to insult or belittle someone who feels otherwise from experience.

Not trying to belittle anyone. Thank you for proving my point. Guns are stolen regardless if they are locked in your car or home.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    But let me tell you something. It can still happen, and when it does, it is one of the most horrible feelings I can imagine. Watching the news for a report of someone innocent getting shot, maybe a child, maybe someone you know, maybe your child or your wife, getting shot with YOUR firearm. There is no way you can compare the "safety" of a firearm being locked in a vehicle versus being locked in a home. Don't even try. And feeling better because it was insured? HA! It didnt make me feel a damn bit better. The money I lost had nothing to do with the anquish and fear involved. You have every right to keep your weapon locked in your vehicle at all times. But don't you freakin dare try to insult or belittle someone who feels otherwise from experience.

:+1:

Gary Clay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Just wondering
    INGO people.
    Who has had a gun in the car stolen?
    Who has had a gun in the car save their life?

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Not trying to belittle anyone. Thank you for proving my point. Guns are stolen regardless if they are locked in your car or home.

Yep...and believe me, whether people realize it or not, the bad guys are always looking for guns to steal. It's their "job." Just as law enforcement officers and other public safety folks have a "sixth sense" in spotting crooks, criminals have it too. A determined thief may notice things about a potential target that even the target doesn't consider.

Last edited:

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Glocks are hard to beat as far as this goes.

I second this. The first Glock 23 I owned was only cleaned twice out of the 5 years I owned it. Once after the first time I shoot it and the second was right before I sold. I put acouple thousand flawless rounds through it in between that time. If it wasn't on me it was always under my front seat.

Gary Clay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    and trying to understand if it is worth keeping a back up in the car. but the key word being back up.

Top Bottom