• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    interesting point panama, however. if someone else was driving my vehicle and the pistol is in the glove box, wouldnt this be legal under state law as the driver is merely transporting the firearm as opposed to carrying it? im not altogether sure so any legal eagles pls chime in!

IC 35-47-2-1
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;

(4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (C) secured in a case; or

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    interesting point panama, however. if someone else was driving my vehicle and the pistol is in the glove box, wouldnt this be legal under state law as the driver is merely transporting the firearm as opposed to carrying it? im not altogether sure so any legal eagles pls chime in!

BIG :nono:

Unless the gun is unloaded, secured in a case, and out of reach you cant have it in your car without a LTCH.
    A loaded gun in the glove box = carrying = jail time without a LTCH. :dunno:

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    sorry, I thought you were saying to keep it on me at all times. My bad. I do carry sometimes but not to drive to work or home. I do maintain my stuff though. How often would you take it in and clean it? also, is there maybe an oil that would help offset corrosion in temp changing environments?

I try to always remember to bring in my truck gun every night, but if you are leaving it in there overnight I would give it a break down and look at (maybe not clean) like once a month or so depending on the type of weapon or finish you choose. If you do catch some little rust then it's not the end of the world, with the right "tools" you can have it off in less than a minute without hurting the finish at all.

As for lube in all weather conditions I would suggest something like Frog Lube, maybe Weapon Shield

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I don't think so. Im not familiar with this law though. I remember reading sometime back that employers possibly not being allowed to tell you can't have a gun in your car or something of that nature.

Except for certain exempt facilities, an employer cannot prohibit a firearm in an employees car..

IC 34-28-7-2
    Regulation of employees' firearms and ammunition by employers
    Sec. 2. (a) Notwithstanding any other law and except as provided in subsection (b), a person may not adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that:
    (1) prohibits; or
    (2) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle.
    (b) Subsection (a) does not prohibit the adoption or enforcement of an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition:

----

If they are fired for such..

IC 34-28-7-3
    Civil actions
    Sec. 3. (a) An individual who believes that the individual has been harmed by a violation of section 2 of this chapter may bring a civil action against the person who is alleged to have violated section 2 of this chapter, other than a person set forth in IC 34-6-2-103(j)(2).
    (b) If a person is found by a court, in an action brought under subsection (a), to have violated section 2 of this chapter, the court may do the following:
    (1) Award:
    (A) actual damages; and
    (B) court costs and attorney's fees;
    to the prevailing individual.
    (2) Enjoin further violations of this chapter.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    AAWW... all you tech-no hot shots are prolly gonna jump all over me, but:

I keep a olé Charter Arms 2" .38 Special Snubbie under my front seat in a pocket holster. I change the ammo out, fire it, and clean it once a year.
    And then I forget about it for another year.

Otherwise, I'm strapped daily, and I shoot at the gun club weekly. :dunno:

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Do you work at one of the facilities exempted from the "parking lot" law?

Nay, parking lot is ok, but must leave it in car, while @ work. Wondered how those that "always have it on them" get around that? LEO, etc is common sense.

Me: EDC Springfield XDS, get to work, leave in car, off work, back on me.

Good question on leaving in car, impact of temp. Swings, etc.. Always like to learn.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Wondered how those that "always have it on them" get around that?

Some folks that I know (who also carry) happen to have a firearm in their backpack, some of them have on in a jacket pocket other's might be wearing a crossbreed super tuck, I know of another guy (at my place of employment) that has an ankle rig. It's a "don't ask don't tell" policy. If asked, it's simple.. Your employer cannot require you to pull your shirt up to prove that you don't have a gun. That would be sexual embarrasment. A simple answer of "I may, or I may not but it's not legal for you to even ask about it" would suffice IMO.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    Taurus 85 in the glove box. lock it when you exit the car. Cheap enough to not be out a bunch of dough if it gets stolen, but reliable enough to keep as a truck gun. Keep a couple speed strips in there with it. I'd bet any reliable plastic-fantastic would work just as well.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    My husband thinks it is not a good idea to leave mine in my vehicle, because my INGO sticker is advertising that I'm likely to have a gun in there. I usually lock my vehicle, and have the gun locked in the console. Thoughts?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My husband thinks it is not a good idea to leave mine in my vehicle, because my INGO sticker is advertising that I'm likely to have a gun in there. I usually lock my vehicle, and have the gun locked in the console. Thoughts?

If I was gonna have any gun sticker on the truck it would be INGO. I don't. INGO "magnetic removable" stickers might work if there is such a thing.

If I was gonna leave a pistol or longun in the truck I would always want to approach the vehicle armed.

Any firearm you leave in the vehicle, you need to be ready to have stolen. In other words, not your only weapon and well insured.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

It takes a few seconds to break the window and open the "locked" console.
    If you really need to leave a gun in your car I would leave it in a safe attached to the frame of the car (cable or screws).
    You also might want to remove any gun related sticker on top of that.

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Guys, I have taken enough thefts from vehicle report over the last 12 years ( including several handguns ) that there is no way I would leave a gun in the car. We have thefts in broad daylight from busy shopping centers and hardly ever does anyone see it happen. They are in and out of your car very fast.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

IC 35-47-2-1
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (C) secured in a case;

(4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (C) secured in a case; or

Great post, Roadie. However, I don't know many people who carry unloaded guns. So, if your wife or teenage son is pulled over and reaches into the glove compartment for the registration information and that Glock falls out, it's theirs. Hopefully, she has a LTCH or is pulled over by a VERY UNDERSTANDING LEO.

Also, for context here is the beginning section of the IC you provided:

Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:

Besides, it's a big risk to leave a gun in the car in the first place, whether you are at work, home or even at a game. I can't say that I've not done it, but it's still a huge risk.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    if you carry on your person, why keep another in your car.. i have one on my side and usually travel with people that also do.but i guess if i left a friend in the car that wasn't carrying i'd want them to have some protection!?
    i would just make sure it's not visable to the public walking by the vehicle, or you won't have a window.. people will do anything to steal a "cheapy"
    however, i have an old charter arms 38 i could throw in there and not worry about it really. so i guess you're on track just buy a gun that is reliable and you're not in love with.
    or simply at night take the gun out of the vehicle, as for during you're working hours.. i'd say throw it in a hidden spot of your lunch box! hehe

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    if you carry on your person, why keep another in your car..

I don't carry cross-draw, and if I needed to fend off a potential car-jacker, or other bit of weirdness, drawing from my strong-side IWB while belted in would be REALLY difficult. So I keep a snub handy for close encounters. Struggling to get to my EDC while still in the car sounds terrible to me.....

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    if you carry on your person, why keep another in your car..

It was mentioned that the OP doesn't carry (making him one of the approx. 4% of INGO people that don't).

The OP isn't a cop and so has no need to carry.

Unfortunately, circumstances that would require the defensive use of a gun often arise with such rapidity that if the gun isn't on your person or within arms reach at the time, it might as well be on the moon.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

You have an INGO sticker, right? How many times has your car been broken into by thieves looking for a non-existent (or existent) gun? I don't see NRA vehicles being targeted. I see vehicles with cash, purses, iPods, etc. left in plain sight being targeted.

Of course, first the thief has to know what INGO means.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't carry cross-draw, and if I needed to fend off a potential car-jacker, or other bit of weirdness, drawing from my strong-side IWB while belted in would be REALLY difficult. So I keep a snub handy for close encounters. Struggling to get to my EDC while still in the car sounds terrible to me.....

Yup. I'm left handed so if an attack was coming from the window I need to fire with my right hand. So, my cheap gun with right handed grips stays in the center console. :cool:

Top Bottom