• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Okay, OP, I am going to give you a different answer. (I tend to swim upstream). Leave it at home. Yes, you heard me. Leave it at home. It is not worth the risk.

Take it to campus only if (a) you've paid for your classes thus far with scholarship money and (b) your career ambitions are not so important to you that you will be upset if you don't reach them. I didn't have anyone helping me go to college. I worked hard and saved to pay for it. I'm basically cheap. I wouldn't risk throwing away money I had already spent for credits. Are you willing to?

Maybe your mom and dad are paying for you to go to school. Maybe one of them is working two jobs just so you can have the privilege. Are you willing to throw their money good-bye and face them when you do?

Maybe you are going to school on student loans that you have to begin paying on within months of being out of school. You get kicked out of school and now you have to start re-paying your loan from your little job at Walmart or McDonald's. Good luck with that.

Maybe like me, you have a career ambition...something you want to do badly you can taste it, or perhaps you just know you don't want to be a common laborer working for little money. Willing to risk it?

Here's the deal, if your gun is ever seen on campus under any circumstance you are done. Even if, God forbid, you face a threat pull your gun, and don't use it, you are going to be kicked out of school. If you face a threat, and do use your gun, you are going to get kicked out of school and pay so much of your money defending yourself that you can't afford school anyway. If you try to take those credits you earned to another university, in all likelihood you will get a letter beginning with, "Admission denied."

Money gone. Career gone. Hopes dashed.

I advise you to take other precautions that you can, minimize risks as much as you can, but leave the gun at home. The statistical probability of running into harm on campus is low enough to not justify the risk. Have a career.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Yeah you make a very valid point. Maybe ill join Students for Concealed Carry and try and make a difference.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I totally agree getting a degree is more important than your life... Just think if you die at least you still get your degree and get to have a career.....o wait

Coltsfan33

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    Greenfield
    I'll through my :twocents: in and say, put it in a different compartment than you keep your insurance/registration. Just in case your are pulled over on campus (Just in case)... you don't have the issue of knowing your gun is in the same compartment that you need to access for information required when a leo ask for it.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    I have the same dilemma at IUPUI. On the few occasions I bring my gun to school, it is locked, out of sight, in one of these In Car Gun Lockers under the seat. If you do decide to go this route, don't tell anybody that you're doing this, not even your closest friends, and for the love of god make sure it is OUT OF SIGHT!

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm sure the 3 pages have answered this, but I'll jump in anyway:

Colleges aren't off limits.
    You can legally have a gun in your car, or even on the grounds, at a college.
    The only thing you have to contend with is the college itself - Their customers (students) can be punished/expelled/etc.

So, the point of the story? Shut up about it, keep it in your car, and don't say anything.

As someone that finished college a while ago, I always laugh when I see the breaking news stories "MAN WITH GUN SPOTTED NEAR CAMPUS, ON LOCKDOWN OMG OMG OMG"... as though having a gun on campus is illegal. Cringe...

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I totally agree getting a degree is more important than your life... Just think if you die at least you still get your degree and get to have a career.....o wait

:yesway: I was literally laughing when I was reading Captains post. If you use your gun to save your life you will get kicked out of school and spend money defending yourself? What, as opposed to dying? I will take being alive and poor over dead any day...

You also don't carry based on statistics. You carry for the unexpected.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yeah you make a very valid point. Maybe ill join Students for Concealed Carry and try and make a difference.

I would suggest against this.

By drawing attention to yourself over the concealed issue carry on campus, you invite scrutiny.

Just shut up and carry it. (or leave it in your glovebox)

I carried a concealed pistol for 2 years on campus in the classroom, never said a word, and never had any problem.

You should have ZERO problem being discrete and leaving it in your car.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

By drawing attention to yourself over the concealed issue carry on campus, you invite scrutiny.

I carried a concealed pistol for 2 years on campus in the classroom, never said a word, and never had any problem.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so" - Jefferson

Hutch25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2013
    Is there any parking that is close but not technically "on campus"? That could solve your whole "getting kicked out" problem. Some sort of lock would still probably be a good idea though.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I wish there was but it all seems to be on campus. There are some places that are further away but are still technically on campus. This is more for the car ride to and from school, not while on campus. The campus police will keep us safe, right? Just ask the students at Virginia Tech. All sarcasm aside, it is for the ride to and from school.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    You've receivedthe bestanswers. Some employers try that crap sometimes too. Law was passed that we can keep them in our locked vehicle in Indiana. No one should know you have it. keep out of sight and locked up on campus if you're that worried about it get it out right after you leave for the ride home, and/or to school. So if anyone that knows you knows your name on here or any other place online, change it and keep quiet about that too!

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edporch

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so" - Jefferson

And that's just what I did.
    I just didn't SCREAM "Hey look! I'm carrying a concealed weapon!". :D

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Haha I understand what you're saying. I'm the same way about such matters, it's considered "concealed" for a reason.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    If you are going to leave it in your car when you are the most vulnerable then just leave it at home during the drive.

If concealed on your person is absolutely out of the question there should be no reason to leave it in your car.

A weapon is not about making you FEEL safer it is about giving you the ability to use a force multiplier if your life is in danger. Nothing more, nothing less. Put a nice solid baseball bat and glove in your car and call it a day.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you are going to leave it in your car when you are the most vulnerable then just leave it at home during the drive.

If concealed on your person is absolutely out of the question there should be no reason to leave it in your car.

A weapon is not about making you FEEL safer it is about giving you the ability to use a force multiplier if your life is in danger. Nothing more, nothing less. Put a nice solid baseball bat and glove in your car and call it a day.

I respectfully disagree.
    He might need it during travel. Cars break down. Carjackings occur.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Locked in the trunk, hidden in the glove box..to me there's no difference if your car is broken into... Just put it in a soft holster in your glove box and make sure no sees it. Uncle Mikes holsters are REALLY cheap and make outstanding glove box holsters.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I respectfully disagree.
    He might need it during travel. Cars break down. Carjackings occur.

If it is in the glovebox or the trunk it isn't available if he needs it in time. Fiddling with firearms in and out of trunks and gloveboxes, loading and unloading them in public witout a backstop is asking for trouble.

I absolutely agree he might need it but an unavailable firearm stashed in a vehicle is a liability more than an asset IMO.

Top Bottom