• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mwiseman6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Any opinions about keeping new firearm boxes? I keep the nice plastic pistol boxes but what about the cardboard? Rifle boxes take up a lot of room. Is it worth it? How about for a new Vepr? I hate storing them but don't want to miss out on any collector value down the road.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    x2, keep the box! I know long gun cardboard takes up some space, but it's a perfect way to keep all the original documentation, manuals, etc. organized.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    unless its a collectable, (cardboard) box storage is optional. I dont need a factory box to store my manuals. I have a special box for those... all of my manuals in one safe place.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    One more vote for keeping the box. There are many people who are not collectors that I know who still like to have the box and are willing to pay a bit extra for it. Collectors are willing to pay a lot extra for a box. One never knows with firearms which will become collectible, so save all.

Also keeping the box on many firearms gives the coded model number, for instance you might have a Beretta 92 but without the box you would never know it is in fact a special edition as the box will have the model designated something like "SPEC9CH02" which tells that it is what the seller says it is and verifies the premium being asked.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    As said, it's nice for resale value.

Then again, I keep the boxes to everything... I've got a giant wire rack full of game boxes, computer part boxes, etc.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Just unfold the box so it lays flat. You can stack a whole lotta cardboard that way. If you're worried about any styrofoam, I probably wouldn't, you can always use bubble wrap or packing peanuts as a substitute.

sescbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I always keep the original boxes. If I'm buying I like to have all the original stuff the firearm came with. Plus you never know & once they're gone they aren't coming back.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have the box for every firearm I own except for the one built in 1933 & the one built in 1945.

And the one built in 1953. Sorry, forgot about the Remington Match Master..

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Keep the box. I find the plastic handgun boxes great for storage. And for both handguns and long guns, the box is an attractive feature when selling, as well as handy for shipping. Finding a suitable box for shipping a long gun is always a pain if you don't have the original box.

tge45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Allen CO
    Keep the box. It may not add cash value for a more common piece, it still helps with trade or resale. Anything more rare or vintage usually adds to the cash value.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I keep them. Nice for storing the firearms in for moving and transporting them and such. Gotta be about as much protection as a soft case.

Wonder if they're sturdy enough to ship a rifle in?

Top Bottom