• ...and so much more!
  • mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Hey Ya"ll.....
    Quick question, is there any harm in keeping rounds in a 30 round mag? Will this wear the spring out

( I don't own any of these even things, posting for a friend) :D

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I load all my new mags immediately. NEVER a problem with a single mag. I think it helps actually. It makes them easier to load and on some 1911 8 rd mags it makes them feed the first round easier.

youcancallme-al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    I have always heard that it messes up the spring. However lately I have heard that it does not. I keep all my mags loaded and have not had a problem yet.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    This being the internet and all, I've read that if you keep them fully loaded it's bad and if you keep them fully loaded it's good. I've also heard that you should keep them only loaded 75% and that you should also keep them completely unloaded. I've also heard that you should keep them completely empty. I've also heard that you should load and unload them on a regular basis to work the spring and I've also heard that doing that will wear out the spring. I've also heard that you should keep your guns loaded and ready to go and I've also heard that you should keep your guns completely empty with all your ammunition seperate. I've heard that you should keep a gun loaded and next to your bed at night and I've heard that your guns should always be locked up in your safe at all times. I've also heard that you should always keep a round in the chamber and that you should never keep a round in the chamber. I've also heard that you should carry a gun with the safety on and that you should carry a gun with the safety off. I've heard that a shotgun is the best home defense weapon, that a handgun is the best home defense weapon and that a rifle is the best home defense weapon.

There's so much conflicting information out there that you pretty much just have to go with what makes you comfortable until you can prove one thing is better than another.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    This being the internet and all, I've read that if you keep them fully loaded it's bad and if you keep them fully loaded it's good. I've also heard that you should keep them only loaded 75% and that you should also keep them completely unloaded. I've also heard that you should keep them completely empty. I've also heard that you should load and unload them on a regular basis to work the spring and I've also heard that doing that will wear out the spring. I've also heard that you should keep your guns loaded and ready to go and I've also heard that you should keep your guns completely empty with all your ammunition seperate. I've heard that you should keep a gun loaded and next to your bed at night and I've heard that your guns should always be locked up in your safe at all times. I've also heard that you should always keep a round in the chamber and that you should never keep a round in the chamber. I've also heard that you should carry a gun with the safety on and that you should carry a gun with the safety off. I've heard that a shotgun is the best home defense weapon, that a handgun is the best home defense weapon and that a rifle is the best home defense weapon.

There's so much conflicting information out there that you pretty much just have to go with what makes you comfortable until you can prove one thing is better than another.
    Deja Vu. I read this too!

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    While I always have two loaded XD mags ready (XD loaded ready to go), I like to rotate mine. Just like any other maintenance, I load unload the mags, do a round count, inventory, inspect, and make sure firearems are locked and secured. For the most part I've never had a problem with my mags, and they stay loaded.

Last edited:

karatejoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Greenwood
    to me it makes no sense to have a 30 round mag but not fully load it in fear it will ruin it. Now you have a 28 round mag??? If its empty its useless if you need one. All my guns for years have been fully loaded. Never had one jam not once. !0 years on the Force and allways loaded my mags full. They never jamed or failed.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    No, not really. I read an article once, from an engineer at Wolff Springs, and he said it is the up and down motion that will weaken spring tension, over time.

Top Bottom