• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just received these beautiful items. My brother-in-law died two years ago when a nurse gave him insulin meant for another patient. His widow (my wife's sister) is marrying a fine man this Saturday and clearing out things she does not want to take with her to her new home.

These are:

picture.php

Remington 870 Tactical Express in 12ga magnum. Originally purchased for $220 at K-Mart.

Ruger 10/22 with blue finish and walnut stock. Purchased at K-Mart for $145.

Both are standard models. They were used only for a 4H Club gun safety program. My BIL wanted his kids trained properly, but his life was filled with work, family and church so he never took the kids shooting after the training session. Guns have barely been used.

I intended to sell/trade the shotgun for a coach gun, and I had not decided what to do with the Ruger.

I already have a good Mossberg 500. It is the first weapon I owned. I carried when my dad and I went hunting a few times, so I do not want to let it go.

I also have a stainless steel Ruger 10/22 with synthetic stock, so I do not really need the Ruger either.

But when I set these up for the photo, I noticed that they make a nice pair. When I added them to my Mossberg, Ruger and Marlin 1894c I noticed they add up to a fine family.

picture.php

So, I am reconsidering my plans. I may just have to buy a gun safe and keep them all.

Comment?

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    When they are the appropriate age, I would take his kids out shooting these. Down the road I would give them to his kids.

Darkstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Jackson County
    I have to agree that they make a nice family. Honestly, I would say that if you see yourself getting them out and using them, or bringing them along for someone else to use when they are out shooting with you, then they are worth keeping. Just as long as they will be used. Besides, you're going to have to get a gun safe sooner or later right?

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    When they are the appropriate age, I would take his kids out shooting these. Down the road I would give them to his kids.

Now that is a good idea that had not occurred to me. The kids have not been responsible over the years, and cost their parents a small fortune. But if they settle down when they get into their 30s they may appreciate memories the weapons carry.

Darkstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Jackson County

I would have to agree with this also, having something like this handed down would be very special for them. Especially, if you took them out to shoot with them.

Keepingmine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2012

I agree.
    My little brother just got our Dads M1 Carbine that he borrowed money on from my brothers uncle over 30yrs ago, and now it's my brothers most prized possesion.

He just handed it to him one day when he stopped by and said this is yours, he was just waiting until he knew my Brother was mature enough to have it.

Very cool Uncle!

ike1018

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011

I have a Remington 870, 1100 and Savage Model 5 that have been passed down from my Great Grandfather down through the generations to me. It's always fun to know what they would think if they knew how many generations have enjoyed them. My old man, never used them much, so when I got them and got them cleaned up he gets a real kick out of it when we take them out and put them to good use. I am sure it would be something special for his kids.

BEBOATS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Paoli, Indiana
    I agree with giving them back to his children when they are old enough to appreciate something that their father had owned. The sentimental value for the children would probably be worth many times more then their actual value would ever be.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    to back up my statement of "give them to the kids when they get old enough" .....i have a 1906 Winchester .22lr pump gun that my great grandpa got when it was new. I never knew him but it had been passed down to my grandpa and he passed it down to me. I still have that gun to this day and my grandpa has been dead for about 7 years now. I dont think i will ever sell that gun. Its value on the gun market is probly in the $600-$800 range but it would take MANY MANY times more than that to buy the gun from me. Basically what im saying is that the gun and the memories out weigh the value 100x over. Im sure those kids (when old enough) will feel the same way about those guns as i do about mine.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    My uncle recently passed and some of the greatest fond memory discussions and wow moments among the guys was around the gun cabinet. My cousin and I got our first 20 ga single shot together one christmas and shot them in the back yard.

The .22 my mom received in the early 70s and hated because the cylinder dropped out was in there.

I concur with the majority. You might see if you can keep the kids actively involved with the guns so they are familiar, if they are old enough to remember you have them. :dunno:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The kids were not "good" ones in that they gave dad more grief than joy. The son took off shortly after his dad died. Mom heard from him for the first time in a year this week. He wanted mom to send cash.

The daughter had a full music scholarship to an Indiana college but she got tossed out for alcohol and other violations. Divorced twice and now lives with a guy to whom she is not married.

I would not trust either of them to value these weapons. They would cash the guns out ASAP and continue their wastrel ways.

However, the daughter has a grandson who still misses Papa. He was five when Papa died, and only seven now. But give him a few years and he may find comfort in a memento of the only man who ever really cared for him. I believe I will keep these weapons for him. Soon, I will be able to take him shooting with me. Thanks for the good advice.

Can anyone recommend a good rifle firing range in the Warsaw area?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I personally would keep them as they have sentimental attachment for your sister-in-law. However, if you decide not to keep them let me know and I might take one or both off of your hands for a fair price.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I personally would keep them as they have sentimental attachment for your sister-in-law. However, if you decide not to keep them let me know and I might take one or both off of your hands for a fair price.

I think it best to keep them for awhile. I appreciate your encouragement to that end.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    The kids were not "good" ones in that they gave dad more grief than joy. The son took off shortly after his dad died. Mom heard from him for the first time in a year this week. He wanted mom to send cash.

The daughter had a full music scholarship to an Indiana college but she got tossed out for alcohol and other violations. Divorced twice and now lives with a guy to whom she is not married.

I would not trust either of them to value these weapons. They would cash the guns out ASAP and continue their wastrel ways.

However, the daughter has a grandson who still misses Papa. He was five when Papa died, and only seven now. But give him a few years and he may find comfort in a memento of the only man who ever really cared for him. I believe I will keep these weapons for him. Soon, I will be able to take him shooting with me. Thanks for the good advice.

Can anyone recommend a good rifle firing range in the Warsaw area?

Do this. Grandson will cherish those firearms someday. Just make sure he knows the history of them and teach him gun safety well. You wouldn't want him turning out like his mom and cashing the guns when he has the chance.

Top Bottom