• ...and so much more!
  • would you keep one in the chamber?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    My wife is going to be carrying an LCP or P-3AT (may consider other options depending on feedback) in her CC purse.
    We are a little conflicted on weather or not to leave the chamber empty, have some small children .

Opinions?

What does having small children have to do with it? Sounds like you 1) need to educate your children, no matter how small, about gun safety and 2) keep your gun in a safe place or locked so that they cannot get to them.

Since the LCP and 3AT are DAO, it is perfectly safe to keep a round in the chamber, as that is how they were meant to be carried...much in the same manner if you had a revolver.

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'd definitely keep on in the chamber for public carry. Neither of my carry pistols have external safeties, like I like it. If someone surprises me, it's pull, point, and shoot.

Now sitting around the house is a different story. I figure I'll have enough advance warning of an unauthorized entry to chamber a round.

Edit-Having gone back through the thread it sounds you've taken to heart the best advice. Definitely education coupled with precautions is the way to go with kids around.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Have kids myself - although the youngest is now 7. They are well taught regarding firearms. I would opt for keep one in the pipe or don't carry. And I would REALLY urge you to reconsider ANY form of carry where it is not DIRECTLY in her control. Purse carry falls in that category far too often.

Kids well taught and old enough to get it. + Weapon in parental control at all times.
    If these conditions can't be met - don't carry and don't leave it laying around. If they can, one in the pipe - Safety is always considered off ,hot, and should NEVER be relied upon. PERIOD.

I've got relatives who I would honestly advise to NOT CARRY because they can't meet the above criteria. (Their kids are not well taught, and I can't confidently say that they wouldn't leave something laying around.) That's not a put down. It's just cold blooded analysis of the situation. Under those conditions an accident is more likely than the odds of them needing the weapon.

cranduit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    One in the chamber for carry, unloaded and locked for not being carried. As far as the bullet seating deeper with each reload, my life is worth a new bullet every few chambers and I toss the old one in the range ammo so it still gets used.
    Luckily I have a habit of either wearing the holster everywhere or locking the whole thing up in a safe depending on what I am doing so that saves on rechambering.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    on second thought...

The Israeli method isn't for me. Chambered.

EDIT: On second thought, there can also be valid reasons for it. Carry the way that fits your particular needs. This link offers food for thought. When I carry Mexican-style, it is sometimes chamber empty. Not often, but sometimes...

Last edited:

shanenindy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    As stated before with kids it does make the decision a bit more difficult. However if you both decide it may not be a good choice then she should into other forms of self-defense.

redsuperduty

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    New Paris - Northern
    I carry chambered, but don't think an unchambered gun is as useless as a ''brick''. I've never seen anybody rack a brick and kill someone by moving their finger. Carry however she is comfortable, a gun that needs the slide racked is certainly better than a brick, or nothing at all.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    whats the issue with kids?

i leared what a gun was and the damage it could do when i was 3. my dad would take me outside once a year with his 12ga to demonstrate what it could do to a pumpkin. i was always told if i want to see it i just have to ask.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    whats the issue with kids?

i leared what a gun was and the damage it could do when i was 3. my dad would take me outside once a year with his 12ga to demonstrate what it could do to a pumpkin. i was always told if i want to see it i just have to ask.
    This is how we are with our kids. The most important thing is that when they DO ask, you've got to drop ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING and make the time for them RIGHT THEN no matter what. This will reassure them that you are serious and alert them to how important it is and they are.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    The Israeli method isn't for me. Chambered.

EDIT: On second thought, there can also be valid reasons for it. Carry the way that fits your particular needs. This link offers food for thought. When I carry Mexican-style, it is sometimes chamber empty. Not often, but sometimes...

Great Read. Thanks for posting the link. Give's one more to think about when deciding to carry with one in the pipe or not.

JJ1977

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    NE Indy
    OK I know for safety concerns about kids you worry about a chambered round, but if its on you than a chambered round is the only way to go. Most circumstances you will not have enough time to chamber a round before needing to fire one off at your enemy.

Top Bottom