• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Performed my early morning scan of my various bank accounts online and discovered some charges that I didn't make. Contacted my bank and the vendors involved to have the account closed and see if the vendors would honor a refund. The vendors of course fell back on the standard, "It's not our responsibility" excuse which is what I expected of them. Fortunately my Small Town Bank helped me file the necessary paperwork to get my money back from the clearing company. She said that even if Visa refuses the claim that the bank will refund the funds to me.

I don't use this particular account for online purchases, the bank lady said that every so often several million account numbers are stolen and used in this way. She didn't even sound surprised by it because it happens so often.

Thieves **** me off:xmad:

The bank people did like my solution though:ar15::ar15::ar15::ar15:

Short version, keep an eye on your accounts!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I have two separate accounts. One savings where I keep the majority of my money and one checking to pay bills and make debit purchases with. I just transfer the funds as needed. I also make it a point to check my accounts online on a regular basis. It may not be full proof but it's worked so far for me.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Not just bank accounts. My wife's Gander card got hit yesterday. +1 for Gander for catching it and calling her to verify the charges. They've taken them off, closed the account and are sending her a new card.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    and they usually know their clients by name. :)

Boy ain't that the truth, I went in their branch in Brooklyn several months ago to make a withdrawl. I go in there a few weeks ago for the second time ever and as I'm walking in the door they greet me by name! I wouldn't have known either of those ladies anywhere and don't remember them from my one visit several months prior. I'm impressed!

+1 for local banking!!:rockwoot:

miguel's sister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Red dot in a blue state
    I check my account daily. Back last year had $400.00 taken, which my bank refunded to me in 24 hours. They actually closed my card down, I didn't know there was a problem until I went to use it (that was annoying and another story for another day).

The merchant (in England no less) refunded the purchase. Since then I no longer use my debit card with pin.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Chase shut down my card for a the same thing some years ago. Caught someone trying to buy a laptop with my debit card and they shut it right down. Would have been nice if they'd have told me, but that was apparently asking too much. Still in all, they caught it and never let a dime out of our accounts. Had to use checks for a few days, till they got me a new card, but it was worth it.

miguel's sister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Red dot in a blue state
    Chase shut down my card for a the same thing some years ago. Caught someone trying to buy a laptop with my debit card and they shut it right down. Would have been nice if they'd have told me, but that was apparently asking too much. Still in all, they caught it and never let a dime out of our accounts. Had to use checks for a few days, till they got me a new card, but it was worth it.

Same here with using checks but I was indeed grateful they took action. But it scared me when I tried to use it and it was denied...not to mention embarrassing. :( Better embarrassed than cleaned out I guess.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg

I've had good experiences with Chase on this kind of thing a couple of times. They did call me, however.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    No, citizens in mooresville. The bank people have been great and told me that I WILL get my money back thru them! I love local banks:rockwoot:

Citizens is great! Been banking there for over 32 years.

About a year ago I come home and there's a voice mail from CPS (Card Protection Services) in Valparaiso about possible fraud and that they had locked down my debit card.

So I pick up the phone and call the main branch and they informed me that CPS had 3 charges totaling 21.18 to a fake hotel on the east coast that's used to test cards.

They noticed I had a debit @ 6:30am @ a McDonald's in Indy and knew it was not me.

Went to the branch filed out the paper work to report the fraud to the police and went on my merry way. 3 days later I had the 21.18 back in the account, of course I had to wait about a week for a new card, but that's better than getting raked over the coals.

Since then I buy prepaid Visa gift cards to do online purchases
    and other places to minimize the use of the card.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan

I have Chase also and it's happened to me twice this year already. The thieves did get away with some money, though, but Chase credited it back to my account.

Someone in Muncie got a credit card in my name earlier this year also and put over $4000 on it. I didn't even know until my credit score dropped. It's taken care of now, but it was a pain.

vietboy1st

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Boston, MAss
    it happened to me a week ago. I got a random $1 charged in my account. I called the CC company and they blocked my account up, also they refund me 1 dollar back :D.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I've had both Chase and Sears M/C intercept thieves toying with my accounts in the past 6 months. Irritating, because they had to close the accounts and re-issue new cards. But, on the other hand, they either caught the thieves or kept them from unjustly rewards.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Father-in-law had several hundred dollars charged to his american express card last month from states all over the country. A couple $1 charges, then as soon as those cleared they partied hard.

He was adamant that he had never let the card out of his sight and he was amazed someone would fly all over the country to use his card :rolleyes:. It took a bit of time to explain modern day credit card fraud to somebody who barely has the technical knowledge to operate a calculator!

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I have a company credit card when I travel. Every time I travel they shut my card off. This last time they shut it off twice. Apparently they didn't like the fact that I went to canada. I usually tell them where I am heading, how long I will be there, and when I am coming back, and then I beg them not to shut it off again.

Top Bottom