• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I am about 180 lbs and 5'11". I have been carrying for many years. Occasionally I carry open but most of the time I carry concealed. I have a slight built frame and it makes it cumbersome at times to conceal a SD piece. I have carried about everything from 1911's to S&W snubbies to little 380 autos. Some have been very uncomfortable and some have been the type that you nearly forget you have it on you. My favorite carry has been a little Diamondback db380 because it is with me nearly 100% of the time because of the comfort factor.

The 380 has been a nice little piece but I have always wanted just a little more power than a 380. I load and shoot .40 S&W quite a bit but rarely carry one as most are a little bigger than I care to carry all of the time due to comfort and printing. I have tried IWB carry and find it a little uncomfortable and dont really want to change my wardrobe to accomodate a firearm IWB (IE +1 0r +2 added waist size). My 380 sits in a wallet holster that actually is as comfortable or more than my wallet and is completely unnoticeable. With the criteria in mind of what I wanted I started looking for the just the right caliber and firearm to fit my needs. I settled on the Kahr pm40 to fit the bill. I drove to several stores that didnt have one then made the hour and twenty minute trip to 21st Century Firearms to see what they had in stock. They did have one in stock that was slightly used. With the great help from the guys there I decided it was what I wanted. Mind you I had never fired one but had read quite a bit on them.

Got the gun home and detail stripped to clean and inspect since it was a used. Found it a little harder than a few other firearms I have used but it was manageable and will get better with practice. The next day I rounded up a whole slew of different ammo I had around including SD to several different brews of reloads I had made. In all I had just over 200 rds to put the gun through its paces and prove that it was trust worthy. I had heard and read that this little gun can be brutal to shoot and even read of bruised palms and torn skin so I didnt know what to expect. I started and ended the session with the rounds that I had planned to use as my SD ammo (Hornady Critical Defense). I was very surprised to find the recoil very manageable and the gun was actually fun to shoot, well for me that is. After a few mags of various ammo I was able to get the proper feel for the gun in grip and in trigger control. Once that was out of the way I was able to keep it on target very well. With no sand bags or rest used for this initial trial of the gun I was getting amazing accuracy out of this little pocket rocket. All shots were kept at 7 yards for the first time out but when I did slow accuracy placement shots half the time I was able to do sub 1" with many clover leaf groupings. This being with the 2 dot sight system. All 2 - 3 shot groups fired in a fast timed draw still stayed well with in the Center of Mass area. I actually really like the sights on the pm40 as they are very fast to get on target for its intended purpose. Mind you I spent a lot of time practising and dry firing the previous night to get accustomed to them and the feel of the gun and trigger. After 200+ rounds fired that night I am proud to say I have no pain in my hands and am very pleased over all with this little gun. There were exactly 0 failures of any kind. It conceals VERY nicely due to its size and shoot like a dream, well to me that is. I couldn't be happier with this gun and how it REALLY fit the bill of what I was looking for in an EDC. Hopefully after 500 rounds downrange I can update with the same report and have pictures to share.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I should add.

I did notice that with sweaty hands this gun is a little harder to control, but this is the case with many polymer guns especially this size. For hot day range shooting with sweaty hands I would suggest grip tape or something to help with grip. I just wiped the sweat from my hands on occasion and it seemed to work okay for me. I personally will continue to shoot as is as I like the grip it has for concealment purposes.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I really liked the one I had; if it wasn't for caliber consolidation, I'd probably still have it. While I did have a bit of difficulty being very accurate, it certainly wasn't the pistol's fault. Replaced it with a 9mm PPS, but I would not hesitiate to carry another Kahr.

Mark in GA

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    I have a PM9 and a P9. Before that I had an all SS K9 Elite. They are great carry weapons. The PM9 does great for pocket carry. The P9 and K9 really need a decent IWB holster. I haven't fired one in 40 cal, but I bet is has some bite to it!

Mark in GA

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom