• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Is the size difference really that significant between a Kahr cw9 and a pm9. I don't see that many other differences other than a little length and weight. The cost difference is pretty significant though! Yes, I know, I need to get my hands on each to see how it feels but finding a store with both is a bit challenging. I was wondering if anyone else has already been down this road. Why the big difference in price?

KAHR CW9093 / Specifications

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Why the big difference in price?

You're comparing the CW series (the "economy" line) with the PM series (the "premium" line). The differences have been discussed in previous threads here, but they include:

• traditionally rifled (CW) vs. polygonal rifled (P/PM) barrel
    • squared (CW) vs. contoured (P/PM) slide edges
    • staked (CW) vs. dovetailed (P/PM) front sight
    • polymer (CW) vs. metal (P/PM) rear sight
    • cast (CW) vs. machined (P/PM) slide stop lever
    • one (CW) vs. two (P/PM) magazines

A more direct comparison would be the P9 to the PM9, and I think you'll find the price gap to be much narrower there. Little guns are selling VERY well right now, so the PMs are commanding a premium over the P series based on that fact alone.

On paper, the size and weight difference between a PM9 and a CW9 or P9 might not seem like much, but putting both guns in your hand will tell a different story.

HTH!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    You're comparing the CW series (the "economy" line) with the PM series (the "premium" line). The differences have been discussed in previous threads here, but they include:

• traditionally rifled (CW) vs. polygonal rifled (P/PM) barrel
    • squared (CW) vs. contoured (P/PM) slide edges
    • staked (CW) vs. dovetailed (P/PM) front sight
    • polymer (CW) vs. metal (P/PM) rear sight
    • cast (CW) vs. machined (P/PM) slide stop lever
    • one (CW) vs. two (P/PM) magazines

A more direct comparison would be the P9 to the PM9, and I think you'll find the price gap to be much narrower there. Little guns are selling VERY well right now, so the PMs are commanding a premium over the P series based on that fact alone.

On paper, the size and weight difference between a PM9 and a CW9 or P9 might not seem like much, but putting both guns in your hand will tell a different story.

HTH!

That speaks volumes more than their comparison chart. Thanks! :yesway:

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Actually, I did all of the shopping, holding, etc. and I bought the CW9 as my primary CC. I also suggest, if possible, trying it with a holster; which I consider to be just as important as how well a pistol fits my hand. That test is what sold me on the CW.

I'd suggest stopping by Plainfield Shooting Supply. Good folks and they usually have most of the Kahr 9's.

ReadnFool

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Sheridan, IN
    IIRC.

P9 full size grip and barrel.

CW9 shorter grip standard barrel

PM9 shorter grip and shorter barrel.

I know their are quality / manufacturing differences as well. See previous post.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    IIRC.

P9 full size grip and barrel.

CW9 shorter grip standard barrel

PM9 shorter grip and shorter barrel.

You don't RC. ;)

As previously stated, the CW9 is the "economy" version of the P9; they are dimensionally identical. The standard barrel/short grip configuration was known as the "Covert," and was available as a P9 or P40. It was a transitional variant that predated the development of the PM series, and is no longer available.

kps4043a.gif

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The size difference may be important depending on what you want it for.

The CW9, for example, is too tall IMO to be squarely in the pocket gun category. It's pushing the envelope.

It can be carried that way occasionally, but it's too tall (bottom of grip to top of rear sight) for all but the largest pockets.

The PM9 is more of a pocket gun due to its shorter height.

If pocket carry isn't a concern, the CW9 is ergonomically better due to the full grip. You also get one more round of capacity, a longer sight radius, and the ballistic benefit of a longer barrel.

rlspach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I bought the CW9. My biggest regret is I can't put night sights on it. Its a pretty major limitation. Otherwise I love it.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    As stated above, the PM9 is a pocket pistol. I really like mine because as it resides in a DeSantis Nemesis it is so small and light that there are many times I forget I am carrying it.

Smaller and better made, but the CW9 although larger is less expensive, and that might make a difference if price is important. Realistically, the CW9 is more the economy version of the P9, with the PM9 being the little brother.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I'm with rlspach - I have the CW9 and absolutely love it!
    It would be nice to have nights. Hopefully CT comes out with a laser.
    I use a Blackhawk size 1 IWB but carry it inside small of my ack (I'm right handed so I use the left handed IWB). I carry it all day without even noticing it.... expect for the wad of $$$ in my wallet that I saved not buying the PM.
    Over 800 trouble free rounds and counting.

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    Just picked up a CW9 a few months ago and it is awesome. I truly believe the CW9 is the best kept secret in the handgun world. I like the PM9 also, and if you want to pocket carry you'll want to go with the PM9..... but mine is for waistband carry and its perfect. The other thing is that its also a great shooter. Accurate and recoil is smooth.... second shot followup may even be better than my Glock 19. Fit and finish on the CW9, even though its suppose to be the economy version, is excellent and as good or better in my opinion as any of the 400-600 plastic guns out there. Oh, and don't forget the trigger, nice and smooth also!

Did I say I love this gun?!!... I'm real close to saying I like it better than my Glock 19, but I'll hold off for now. The Glock serves a different purpose for me(bedside) but the Kahr goes into the waistband....

Todd

PS. If your looking for a single stack slim or other small 9mm pistol for carry your probably looking at:

Taurus 709 Slim
    Keltec PF9
    Keltec P11(double stack)
    S&W 3913
    Ruger SR9C (double stack)
    Glock 26(double stack)

Add the CW9 to your list to check out. You won't be sorry.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    NNOOOOoooooo! I told myself as soon as I got my LTCH I would get a better CC handgun and was set on the PM9. There was an awesome deal on one here on INGO's boards that I have been watching for several days. I got my LTCH today!!! YIPPPEEE!!, logged into INGO and the gun is sold. DOOOUUGH!:ugh:

BTW: yes, I am the only one I know that can take an entirely positive thing like getting THE pink slip in the mail and make it into a negative post.:D

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Doc,

While not the 9 I picked up a CW 40 today.

I had been wanting one and thinking about getting rid of my .380 for a sub compact .40. I had been leaning toward the pm40 because it is only marginally bigger than the p3at. Anyways, stopped by Fort Liberty on my way home and they only had the CW 40. Other than a little bit bigger, the differences in materials used didnt make a big difference for me.

Anyways, didnt have my p3at on me that I wanted to trade in so I ran home, and then figured I would swing by Plainfield Shooting Supply on the way back. They had the PM 40 and The CW 40. I do like the smaller size of the PM, but I could not justify the extra $300 for it.

Headed back to Fort Liberty (told them I would be back) and picked up the CW 40.

So far I am very happy with my choice!

Also, I have heard of people chopping the frame on the CW to the PM size if you want a smaller frame size for CC.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I got to put about 150 rounds down range this weekend with my new CW40.

I had one failure to feed. I racked the slide, shot a round and jam. After that, not a problem at all!

Accurate for such a small gun. Heavier recoil than my xdm which can be expected but very management with a good grip.

Top Bottom