• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I picked up a K31 last year and every time I shoot it, I am impressed at what this 71 year old rifle can do. The bore is like a mirror and the trigger, although it has a longer pull, is very nice and gives me a surprise break every time. Could these possibly be the best milsurp rifles available? I really can't wait to stretch this thing out to see what it is truly capable of.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    They are fine rifles, partly due the fact none have ever seen any service in the field, partly due to the fact they were assigned to only one person for life (although they may have been handed on to others as they were replaced with newer arms or due to death). Another fact - the Mil surplus Swiss army rounds for these rifles are some of the finest ammo made. Their precision is as good as any match round produced regardless of cost! Kind of interesting to research the tests and measurements of these rounds. Really like mine ~ I purchased it with a scope mounted.

Not sure if you are aware, many of these rifles has a paper under the butt plate with the persons name and address the rifle was issued to the first time. (Mine had been removed).

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Yeah, while I would agree that the K31 is one of the best, I wouldn't call them THE best.
    Big reason is that they never saw actual combat. What works good in peacetime and on the range can be detrimental in the mud, dirt, and neglect of the battlefield. The tight tolerances these made to and the lack of leverage because of the straight pull bolt leads me to believe once the action gets full of crud, there's going to be trouble.
    LarryC already mentioned it, but a big part of the success of the K31 was the ammo. GP11 is the absolute best general issue ammo made by any nation. Every K31 had to shoot that ammo into 1 MOA from a machine rest before they left the arsenal. It was also never loaded with corrosive primers so even if the soldier/citizen didn't clean right away after his regularly scheduled qualification, no big deal.
    I've owned 3, currently 2. All were extremely accurate, and the bolt with a little practice is really good and fast. First one I bought I brought home, set up a target at 100 yards, leaned over the truck bed and fired 5 rounds of GP11 into a group that I could easily cover with a Skoal can. I like 'em and wouldn't mind picking up a couple more. Along with a few more cases of GP11!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Always thought they were neat. Have yet to play with one. Mainly due to adding another caliber. I am a stickler these days and really want to keep it to a minimum. Always keep my eye out at shows and fondle them.

There was a real neat post awhile back on here about a guy who modded one out. It was sweet!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I've never owned one but coveted them for years. I hear they are one of the more common rifles on the line for the vintage HPR matches. Heard that several years ago when i inquired about that style of match but I could be wrong.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    They were nice, but best ever?

Better than the Chilean Mausers? Better than a 33/40? Better than a Swede? Better than those cherry MkI No.4s that came in 25 years ago?

I don't think so.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    ^ well I have two of those; a Swede and an MK1 #4 and my K31 groups slightly better than both. My best grouping Mil Surp would surprisingly be my Mitchel Mauser though.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I like to tell people, "It's a Swiss watch in rifle form."

Fine rifles, but nowhere near the best milsurp ever. Great shooters, awesome rifles, but there are things out there like the AK-47 that make it pretty hard to argue the K-31 being best ever. Best $300 rifle that's fun to shoot and super accurate? That would be a tough argument to lose!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    They were nice, but best ever?

Better than the Chilean Mausers? Better than a 33/40? Better than a Swede? Better than those cherry MkI No.4s that came in 25 years ago?

I don't think so.

You forgot the Persian and Argentine 1909 Mausers....They were unissued and beautiful...I had an un issued Argentine modelo 1909 that had a serial number on everything (including the muzzle cover), all of the small parts were fire blued like a pre war Colt, and the checkering on the steel parts was hand cut....Many people do not realize that back in the day Argentina was, per capita, the richest Nation on Earth...

Of course it's not that way now...The wife is currently down there visiting her mother and she said the country of her roots is heading rapidly to third world status.....18 pesos per 1 dollar on the exchange and crime is rampant....

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Haha! No.

What is the sight on the front of that rifle ?????? I have never seen that before..

But below is how I always thought the Garand family lived behind closed doors..

images

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    When they were not ice skating...Canadians...What are you going to do?:)
    Any self-respecting Canadian would pummel for that remark...

Right after they throw their Bauer hockey gloves to the ice.

:D

And, yes... The K31 is one damn fine rifle.

20140727_110348_resized.jpg

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    A lot of good suggestions, but one that hasn't been mentioned and that is the Finn Kivaari M39. Good sights, accuracy, reliability, and passed the combat test with flying colors.

Early version of a SMLE (Short Magazine Lee Enfield, .303 british army battle rifle )

I think he had it backwards, #4 Mk 1. You're thinking of the #1.

Jagdhund

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I wasn't too impressed with the accuracy on my k31, but i've only put about 50 rounds through it. I will have to give it another shot.
    Of the dozen surplus rifles I have, my swedish mauser seems the most accurate. Even though they aren't as nice or as smooth or as accurate my favorite surplus is the steyr m95.

Top Bottom