• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    I would never shoot a dog on the first lunge. Probably at least every couple months we are approached, sometimes aggressively, by an unrestrained dog while walking our male dog. Although the first few seconds sound very scary sometimes, nothing has ever happened. Nothing I haven't been able to handle with a stern voice and steady grip on the leash. I would not let anything happen to my dog, but I won't kill someone else's dog if I can help it. I might be inclined to kick or mace an aggressive dog, but shooting it would be my absolute last resort. I would never shoot a dog just because I legally could and it was the easy thing to do to stop the confrontation.

When we walk our dog we have very high situation awareness going on. My son & I watch for unrestrained dogs and change our course as necessary. I do not want to ever have to penalize a dog just because their owner is a negligent POS.
    you will never make the swat team.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Maybe I'll carry a taser or mace for next time something like this occurs. Funny side story. Last night was walking the dog and a person had their dog tied to a bucket of like three hundred golf balls. The dog ran over to us and the golf balls went ALLover the place. Luckily the dog just wanted to sniff my dog and they were friendly

This is usually the case for us too. I think as long as we stay calm the dogs do too.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Pepper spray.

Those who carry should also have as an option when dealing with 1-1 issues where a gun couldn't be used. My wife carries it on her key ring, I need to carry it as well.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    For those suggesting tasers, I have a nice flashlight that turns into a stun gun when you insert the pin in the bottom of of it. It's long enough I could probably tase a dog or someone with it without having to get as close as traditional stun guns. I've never carried it but I may have to consider doing so when we walk the dog.

255412_4146407420595_872452797_n.jpg

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Well I don't want to be on the Swat team if I have to shoot dogs. Now if we're talking about getting to shoot pedophiles and abusers, sign me up. I promise to shoot to kill every time. :)

Well definitely stay away from FBI HRT, dogs are the first thing they shoot.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Your dog is your property, Thus forth you have the right to protect it and no duty to retreat from harm. The other animal was attempting a force-able felony by attempting to attack your Property with deadly force. (Teeth)

Dogs are not People, Unless they are are Police Dog. If you shoot and kill a police dog in the line of duty, it is just as bad if you shot and killed a Police officer.

I've never seen a dog charged with a felony.... do they get sentenced to the pound?

nsheepdog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    I shot a pitbull dog last year in Carmel. It had attacked my neighbor and his dog.

I carry an ESEE-5 on me when I walk and I would not hesitate to kill a dog that tries to attack my dog.

I question anyone who owns and loves a dog that would let it get torn to pieces while they stand and watch.

Jamesaritchie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    To my knowledge, our "self-defense" laws only apply to defending yourself from people, not animals. I don't know of any State law about shooting a nuisance animal. County/local ordinances would certainly apply. Plenty of folks have gotten grief for "illegal discharge of a firearm" when defending themselves against dogs.

That said, I would have no issue putting down a nuisance animal if need be.

I think you did well keeping you and your dog from injury, using just enough force to protect yourself.

Self-defense laws do apply to animals. Always. This does not mean you can shoot a chihuahua, but if the animal is large enough to cause death, or even serious bodily harm, you are allowed to defend yourself by shooting the dog. County and local ordinances do not apply in cases of actual self-defense.

If a person gets in legal trouble of any kind for shooting a dog, it means they were not actually facing serious bodily harm. Police routinely shoot dogs that threaten them or others, and we've had innumerable case in Indian over the years where private citizens did the same.

Common sense applies. A big dog can KILL you, and do so easily. Do you really think the law says you can't defend your life because the threat comes from a dog?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Common sense applies. A big dog can KILL you, and do so easily. Do you really think the law says you can't defend your life because the threat comes from a dog?

Not exactly what I was getting it.

Indiana's "self defense" code specifically mentions defending your self against another person. Animals are not people, and so these laws simply would not apply.

However, since nowhere in the IC does it say you CANNOT defend yourself against an animal, then it is not illegal.

For instance, if a dog is damaging my property, I can put it down (at least in my county). If it threatens me, I can put it down. If it simply chases my livestock (if I actually owned any), I can put it down (that part is actually in the IC).

If I lived in town, though, there are firearm discharge ordinances, and SEVERAL folks (some on this board) have gotten in hot water over discharging a firearm at an attacking dog. I don't think that's right, but it is the law.

So, yeah, if you are attacked by an animal, then by all means defend yourself. Deal with any silly ordinances afterward.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    I fully believe in protecting my kids and have almost taken out a neighbors dog but I am dog owner myself and know you must be responsible with the animals and not let them roam free. Remember all dogs bite! Last words of wisdom even if you are in the right for shooting someones dog be prepared for a Hatfield/McCoy situation!!!!!:ar15:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have pepper sprayed many dogs in my neighborhood. It has never failed me. Even with very aggressive dogs. However my dog and I were once attacked by a pit bull that I beat with my fists and had virtually no effect on. I don't know if pepper spray would have done the trick or not. But I rely heavily on pepper spray for dogs. I hope never to be in the situation of discharging my weapon within the city limits of Indianapolis. You never know what kind of cop will show up to investigate. I beleive the vast majoirty of Indy cops are good guys but you always have those few bad apples. For me pepper spray is a fist response and a gun is a last resort.

Top Bottom