• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's cool and all, but essentially they invented a really tippy PWC...

...if

And I'll just leave it there. I believe we'll be learning a lot more about this video and invention in the next few days.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It's cool and all, but essentially they invented a really tippy PWC...

...if

And I'll just leave it there. I believe we'll be learning a lot more about this video and invention in the next few days.
    IDK that I'd really call it an "invention"

People have been riding bikes and snowmobiles across water for a LONG time... He simply has a paddle tire (commonly used in sandy environments) on the rear and a ski type apparatus on the front. It appears to me that from his ability to ride water/land mix in the early part of the video this ski may also allow the wheel to touch the ground through the ski. If that's the case I believe I may have seen something similar a number of years ago but can't recall where... seems to me he was just making use of things available to him to have a good time in an unconventional way... I'll let the patent office determine if it's actually an invention...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    IDK that I'd really call it an "invention"

People have been riding bikes and snowmobiles across water for a LONG time... He simply has a paddle tire (commonly used in sandy environments) on the rear and a ski type apparatus on the front. It appears to me that from his ability to ride water/land mix in the early part of the video this ski may also allow the wheel to touch the ground through the ski. If that's the case I believe I may have seen something similar a number of years ago but can't recall where... seems to me he was just making use of things available to him to have a good time in an unconventional way... I'll let the patent office determine if it's actually an invention...

Invention or not- maybe I should have called it a "contraption". It's fun to watch and all, but assuming no digital trickery (which is a HUGE assumption IMHO), I think when more info comes out, we'll find that it can stay upright for several seconds at most and just enough time to get a quick shot when doing anything other than level riding on a somewhat calm surface.

Now, to be clear, I don't mean to take away from the skill and daring. It's very impressive.

However, I watched it again and confirmed my earlier impression- the longest full speed shot I saw without a cut was between 1:57 and 2:04 on a smooth surface. That's about 7 seconds.

The longest more complicated part I saw was from 2:27 to 2:32, so that's 5 seconds, but at the end of the 5 seconds, they went to slow mow, so that may have added a second or two to the ride.

My only point is that while this is really cool and impressive, they cut it together to give the impression that he's out there riding around doing anything he wants any time he wants out on the water. I'm betting that it's edited the way it is because the best rider in the world (which he may be) can only stay up for 10 seconds at a time, which, despite the skill it takes, seems less impressive in a video.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    It could be deceptive, but it looks like he had to get out to where the waves were breaking and make it back without dumping the bike. It could be legit. Of course, you can't rule out cgi.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Cool enough but put that high end bike in the drink wide open and the engine is done. D.O.A.

Red Bull has a couple billion to throw at the bikes, I am sure locking a few motors up was the least of their concerns. We are talking pro sport rider with unlimited funding backing up his project.

What these people do is amazing, I never would have though I would see them do the things they have in my lifetime.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I used to know a couple of guys that rode dirt bikes on water. Of course that water was frozen at the time.... That was nuts to watch. Studded tires and no brakes. If you went down good chance you were ending up with tracks across your back.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Here is a video done in a similar way. I've gotta get one of these...

[video=youtube;5qanlirrRWs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qanlirrRWs[/video]

Top Bottom