• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TK312

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Cicero
    A little background 1st.... My oldest son is 6 and my youngest is 4. Who would you guys recommend for firearms training. I think my 4 yr old is too young, but I want my oldest to get some training as soon as possible. Having guns in the house, he is naturally interested in them. Before anyone asks, they are locked away and they don't have access to them.

So give me your ideas and opinions and thanks.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Depends on the kid, not the age. I've seen 4 year olds shoot responsibly under supervision and 10 year olds I wouldn't trust with a BB gun.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    As long as you, yourself, follow all the safety rules, then you might be the best one to provide the instruction. Educate through example. Spend time with them. Don't just let them loose with even a BB gun until you are confident of their abilities.

PS ... I have seen some adults I wouldn't trust with a BB gun!

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    The best person to train them IMHO is their parents. I agree on the BB gun starter, and then on to a bolt fed .22 of some sort.

guncakes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Even Indiana hunter safety training requires one to be at least 12yo.

Actually, DNR has the following info on their page:
    Age-Related Information

We do not prevent attendance based on age; however:
    • Any child under 11 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or guardian every session.
    • At the first session, everyone under 18 years of age must give the instructor a signed, completed Liability Release Form (download, print, and sign). This form must have the parent or guardian's signature.

fro65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    South of Ft. Wayne
    I agree will those who say you should instruct them. It worked on me many years ago. I was started on a BB gun at age four and received a single shot .22 for my seventh birthday. I was never allowed to go off on my own until I was ten. It must have stuck because now, 45 years later, both I and my firearms are still well behaved.;)

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    I'm old and old school . My father started teaching me when I was 3. He stood behind me, placed a S&W 38 snubnose in my hands. He then placed his hands around mine, I pulled the trigger. The rest is history. BB guns, then 22's and hunting with shotguns. By the time I was 15 I had learned enough where he longer had to worry I'd get stupid.

I trained my 3 sons the same way. We all enjoy using guns, and know the rules. Teach your children well , and they'll make you as proud as mine have made me.

There is the other side though. Teach them well, and hope when they go out the door , something you taught them sticks.:):

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    I think like my dad we had bb/pellet guns then single shot shotguns then rifles.His reason was a shotgun shell does not have the range that the rifle does and the single shot for the obvious.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I started on the pellet gun at 7........then the next step was the M1 Garand at 10..or was it 11?? lol (Gotta love uncles)

The only reason I wasn't shooting a .22 before that was because my dad is a europhile democrat who would never have agreed to buying me a .22, and mom was the "gun nut". She was the one who took me to my uncles house to learn to shoot a real gun.

I'd start the 6 year old with a pellet rifle. Once he can do well with that, move him to a .22 bolt action rifle.
    Pistols are for later.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I can only repeat what others have already said. You are the best first example for your children. Practice the four rules around them and make sure they know them by heart.

I tend to think that even your 4y/o is old enough to start learning. You don't have to have him holding the gun or operating it too much but you can load it, stand with him, and allow him to shoot it.

Regarding what to start them on, it really depends on you and what you are comfortable with. Cricket .22's are fantastic youth guns and I've seen them used very effectively with either .22 long or short. BB/Pelet guns are also great for teaching the basics. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice in this regard. (besides the ammo availability part...)

I also agree that pistols should be saved for later...not that you were asking about that in your OP.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I remember my training started with my toy guns as a little kid. We were NEVER allowed to point even our toy guns at anything we did not want to kill. I still remember my parents saying that over and over again 50 years later. We weren't allowed to say bang you're dead either.

Top Bottom