• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Well I just finished loading 10 test rounds for my very first time in this exciting new adventure. I am loading 9mm using hp-38 with Winchester primers and rainier 115gr plated round nose bullets. I used 4.3 gr of powder with an OAL of 1.430-1.450 and a light crimp. I hope these work out ok. Should be able to test fire this weekend.

If any of you guys or gals that know more than I do think i done something wrong or unsafe please let me know. Thanks

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Congrats !

I'm sure it's just a typo because an OAL of 1.43 isn't possible.... You would want an OAL using that particular bullet more like 1.135...

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As long as it drops into your chamber fully it will be fine ! This will ensure your slide will go into full battery...

Easiest way to check is remove barrel and drop the round into chamber. It needs to freely drop in so the back of the case sits flush or just below the hood. You will also want it to drop out freely... If your OAL is too long, the ogive will engage the lands before the rounds drops fully in.

My guess you are fine, but I would be sure to check. You want to find out now , rather than at the range.

Good luck and have fun !

BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Well I will definitely try taking the barrel off and checking. I did load them in the mag and run the slide to make sure they fed and discharged properly. All checked out just fine. One question I have is if I keep the powder charge the same but set the bullet to 1.100 for example, will I gain any velocity without having to up the charge? Just kind of trying to figure things out. I appreciate the feedback very much.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    .One question I have is if I keep the powder charge the same but set the bullet to 1.100 for example, will I gain any velocity without having to up the charge? Just kind of trying to figure things out. I appreciate the feedback very much.

Trying to conserve powder are ya ? ;)

Seriously, I would not do that !

Seating deep many times will indeed increase velocity... The reason is because more importantly it increases PRESSURE.

Work within the published data... Especially if you are just beginning... Work within the min/max charges and the corresponding listed OAL.... They do go hand in hand...

BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    The only data that I found on OAL was a minimum length of 1.100. So I went a touch longer basically to match the factory rounds I have and to make sure I didn't blow myself up. I figured I can seat the bullets lower after I determine that they are safe.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    If you determine that they are safe at a specific length, and those function properly in your firearm, why would you seat them deeper? That could create an UNsafe condition.

Follow the load manual recipe and stick with an OAL that you know works in your gun. Longer is OK, as long as it's not into the rifling of your barrel. Shorter is NOT OK, as it can cause pressures to spike. If you aren't sure what the result will be, don't do it...just follow the load book. ;)

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    Congrats! Depending on your firearm, check out lead billets for even more savings. It is very addicting to create a cheaper, more consistent load than the factories, albeit dirtier.

Top Bottom