• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    Tried a new strategy today. Left the house about 3:15, got into the show around 3:50. Had two hours to shop around. Crowd had thinned out a lot. I know where I like to go (I hit a couple of the dealers with good prices, get my candied nuts, my beef jerky, my targets, my ammo cans, and then it is play time. Usually that means at least one knife.

Today was no different a nice flash light (will light up the whole neighborhood) and a new knife: FDE ESEE 3 from the Knife Lady.

If you have been enough times to know exactly which tables you want to hit and don't need a ton of time, going a couple of hours before close seems like it might be a good way to do things.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    If you have been enough times to know exactly which tables you want to hit and don't need a ton of time, going a couple of hours before close seems like it might be a good way to do things.

Good point. I went Friday afternoon. Got there at 1:45, inside by 2:10. Crowd wasn't too bad. Not like the Saturday Horror stories.

I had a list of what I was looking for. Specific parts, accessories, and ammo. I zigged and zagged, bypassing tables that didn't interst me.

Got out by 4:30 with everything I wanted, and a couple bonuses, by 4:30. :D

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    My cousin and I got in right at 8:00, visited knife lady & Brad, chatted with Dave Canterbury, TSG and the INGO booth then we were out.

It was already packed by the time we left around 12:00.

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    January usually has the most 4473's checks done than any other month. (or at least thats was what the industry magazine said that I read last week)

I like you guys that complain that there are no good deals there. I was digging the 469.00 G19's and 23's, the 299.99 GSG 1911 22 tactical that I saw there.

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    January usually has the most 4473's checks done than any other month. (or at least thats was what the industry magazine said that I read last week)

I like you guys that complain that there are no good deals there. I was digging the 469.00 G19's and 23's, the 299.99 GSG 1911 22 tactical that I saw there.

Where was the "the 299.99 GSG 1911 22 tactical". might head down tomorrow.

Mat250

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Yeah I was there from 11:00-1:00 and it was nuts. I thought it would be easy to find a good deal on a barrel for a moss. I ended up going to dick's. :dunno: It was quicker and as good of a deal as I could have gotten there. It was still fun to see all the people and random glimpse of the tables. :D I guess we can try again next time.

historybuff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Shelby County
    I am surprised they don't limit the crowd because of a fire hazard. Can you imagine an evacuation for an emergency. People would be trampled to death.

I wonder if there is a firefighter on here to speak to that.

There should be signs (on the inside by the EXIT doors) stating the maximum occupancy allowed for the event. Occupancy will vary at the Fairgrounds events due to different layouts, i.e. space taken up by tables, stalls, or whatever. There are formulas in the Fire Code for # people per square foot for different types of events/buildings.

There are also limits to 'aisle' widths, the number and size of egress (exit) doors, emergency lighting requirements, etc.

Indianapolis FD would have jurisdiction, along with the State Fire Marshal. If the number of attendees and vendors exceeds the determined occupancy, the State can issue an emergency close order, run everybody out, and then count as people go back in, and close the doors when the maximum occupancy is reached. It is the responsibility of the promoter/owner to keep track. (This is done for bars, nightclubs, etc. fairly regularly)

It sounds like there may be a case of overcrowding from what I have read. Somebody should look for the occupancy sign, and then ask if the number of attendees is being tracked.

Gentle word of advice: When you are there, make sure you always know where the exits are located. There could be a very bad scenario if it's as crowed as it sounds.

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Where was the "the 299.99 GSG 1911 22 tactical". might head down tomorrow.

It was on a table, now it is in Da' safe.:D (they also didnt have anymore.)

As for the fire marshal comment. Some of you guys like the government intervention when it fits you.:rolleyes:

BigBrian

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2010
    Greentown,In
    I guess no one on here remembers when King Hussein got elected 2 years ago, that the line to get in the gunshow at 1500 was out the front all the way down the south side and around the back! That day was a Nightmare !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    FWIW, lots of people who came by the shop today were complaining about the crowds and prices at the show. Glad I wasn't there.
    It was very crowded. but I don't know who was complaining about prices. at least on ammo. $189 for 1k 7.62x39. $280 for 1k pmc bronze .223. won't find prices like that at any gun store in Indy. not even my favorite gun store:D

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah my hunting pardner and me got there about 0830 Sat morn and guess hit it just right 'cause really had no wait. Within 10 minutes found a H&R Handi Rifle in .357 Mag (which we we were both looking for) and got a good deal on it. Let him have it since we just got started..just knew we would find another...never did. My buddy finally found a chair to sit down because he could not move thru the crowd with his new H&R in the box...and yeah, when we left the line was around the building. I was able to pick up some ammo and a few odds and ends, and even with the crowd ...had a great time. Stopped on the way home at Bob Truebloods Bite the Bullet bought some primers and shot the bull for awhile... and found me a H&R in .357 at Bassmasters in Seymour ..all in all a good day..

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA/VFW LIFE MEMBER

Top Bottom