• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I'm not seeking any feedback, just needed a place/way to record this for posterity, so perhaps someone else can a hit instead of the bird from google when they search as I did.

To that end.....
    High Standard Model 200 Sears J.C. Higgins Model 20 20-12 Side Saddle

My friend wanted a side saddle on the Model 20 he just inherited, and was unhappy with the elastic buttstock one, so we went to work.
    ....the short version is that the ATI saddle for the Remington 870 will work with a hole and $1.00 in hardware. The Mossberg one will likely work as well, and may come with the screw listed below, but the hole will still be in the wrong spot, and I don't know that the punch pin replacement screw will fit so perfectly.

You'll need a M4-.70x10 screw with a flat underside and as flat a head as possible. I used on like this:
    http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd369/xahnastri/IMAG0926.jpg
    http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd369/xahnastri/IMAG0927.jpg

and an M4 .70 pitch nut to match.

If you can't find one of the same sized head (like me) you'll need to hit the edges up on a grinder, and possibly flatten out the top so it doesn't impede the bolt. I tool blacked mine as well.
    IMAG0925.jpg

Take the plastic side saddle off the metal backing and lay the aluminum flat on the receiver's left side. Use the provided thicker screw to come through the the receiver, Right to Left, and tighten through the largest threaded hole of the side saddle.

Remove the screw and Ejector, make sure the metal plate is where you want it, and lay it breech up on a table. I used a nail and hammer to lightly tap a mark through the ejector retainer hole. Drill it (off the gun, preferably). As test I threaded said hole with a tap, but the actual plastic side saddle is hollow and will allow you to put a nut on it, which is what I recommend. Reinsert the ejector and new screw, ensuring flush fit and clearance of the aluminum base, and tighten the nut on. Reattach the plastic saddle to the base with the 6 supplied 2mm screws, and locktite them down if you wish.

When you disassemble the gun for routine cleaning, you can take the large screw out that holds in the trigger assembly group and disassemble the rest of the gun save the ejector. If you need to clean under there, the plastic face of the saddle will need to be removed, followed by the nut, then the screw inside the breech.

Luck.

IMAG0923.jpg

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    If I ever get a JC Higgins Model 20, I think I will ignore this post too.

As an added note, there really was a JC Higgins that worked for Sears, he was a bookeeper. The name had a nice ring, so the people at Sears named their sporting line after him.

Top Bottom