• ...and so much more!
  • Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Hey INGunOwners,
    I am a new memeber, i just got interested in handguns and i purchased my Conceal permit today :):. i am looking to get a gun to carry daily. i am 19 and not a very big guy so i want something compact but not small in size (40 or 45). i grew up shooting guns and have shot a few differnt handguns. im not looking for anything as a starter gun i want to jump right in and get something to keep for life! if you have a suggestion let me know!

i am also interested in S&W guns and the H&K USP.

I've got about 3,500 rounds thru my HK USP Compact 9mm without a single issue.

When I went searching for an EDC weapon, I went to a gun shop and handled all makes/models of guns. I then rented (if available) the ones which felt the best in my hand. The choice came down to the HK USP Compact and the S&W M&P Compact. Both felt very good in the hand and I shot both very well.

As for caliber, I believe shot placement is paramount over caliber. Plus, choosing a self defense round with solid characteristics is also important.

MooreALX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Hartford City
    i ruled it out because if i do need to use it i want to make sure it will knock them down with one hit no matter what size they are.

Many police departments rely on 9mm, it's a proven round. Plus, with 9mm, target ammo is cheaper than some of the others, so you can afford to practice more with it.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    i ruled it out because if i do need to use it i want to make sure it will knock them down with one hit no matter what size they are.

One shot knock down rarely happens.
    It's all about shot placement and training to be able to get off at least 3 shoots in very quick succession upon initial draw.

You need to spend some serious time here reading up. Most everything has already been discussed that you will ask.

Thunderhead2389

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I wouldn't rule out a 9mm. Plenty of knock down power, and many different choices... size, shape, color, etc. If you want to stay "big".... good luck finding very many that are easy to conseal... being a smaller person... Look at the 9's and see what you can find.

MTFisher93

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Terre Haute, IN
    thanks for all your help! i have decided to purchase the S&W 4006 for my first handgun from another INGunOwner! all your adivce has been great and i will probably be buying an HK or Kimber within the next year. MY permit is in the mail and i will be practicing out at my house with it until my permit comes. if you have any shooting tips, or know somewhere where i can read up please let me know! i have many experianced shooters around me but some outside advice never hurts!

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Any handgun the you can carry on your hip will not knock someone down with one hit. You can not even effectivly stop everyone with multiple hits to center mass. Start by doing some research on bullet wounding effectiveness. Might open your eyes to the reality of how ineffective a handgun round is compared to a rifle round.

Anything from 9mm to 45acp will be equally effective with HP ammo. Placement is the key to the effectiveness of the round. Someone falling down when shot is more of a psychological response rather than a physical one.

Having the safety on the gun is fine whatever makes you comfortable is the key. It does limit your selection as most manufacturers have moved away from them. Most realize they do little to make the gun safer and sometimes give you a false sence of safety and you become more complacent about handling the gun.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    thanks for all your help! i have decided to purchase the S&W 4006 for my first handgun from another INGunOwner! all your adivce has been great and i will probably be buying an HK or Kimber within the next year. MY permit is in the mail and i will be practicing out at my house with it until my permit comes. if you have any shooting tips, or know somewhere where i can read up please let me know! i have many experianced shooters around me but some outside advice never hurts!

First, it is obvious you have no knowledge of the laws regarding carrying a firearm. That is first and foremost. Read about the laws if you are going to carry.

Second, learn the safeties and breakdown of your firearm. If you are not willing to learn the simple breakdown and safeties of the firearm please do not carry it.

Third, I hate to repeat but just because it is a .40 does not mean it ill "stop them dead" This is real life, not Men In Black. Learn trigger control, rapid fire and learning to draw.

(Having the 6904 myself, learning the safety is going to take some time, it will also rub your thumb raw as those safeties are "sticky".)

Fourth, here are some shooting tips; 1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded, 2. Know your target and what is beyond it, 3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire, 4. Don't point your firearm at something you aren't willing to kill/destroy.

Fifth, have fun, be safe and welcome to INGO.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI

Then you should carry a Barrett. Try a .357. There are many compact revolvers that are very nice to carry.

MTFisher93

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Terre Haute, IN
    First, it is obvious you have no knowledge of the laws regarding carrying a firearm. That is first and foremost. Read about the laws if you are going to carry.

Second, learn the safeties and breakdown of your firearm. If you are not willing to learn the simple breakdown and safeties of the firearm please do not carry it.

Third, I hate to repeat but just because it is a .40 does not mean it ill "stop them dead" This is real life, not Men In Black. Learn trigger control, rapid fire and learning to draw.

(Having the 6904 myself, learning the safety is going to take some time, it will also rub your thumb raw as those safeties are "sticky".)

Fourth, here are some shooting tips; 1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded, 2. Know your target and what is beyond it, 3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire, 4. Don't point your firearm at something you aren't willing to kill/destroy.

Fifth, have fun, be safe and welcome to INGO.

i am very aware of how to treat a gun and the laws in indiana i have grown up around guns my whole life, shooting and hunting with them. i know how to treat and use them well. the point of this thread was to find a quality gun.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011

Read up right here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...837-act_defensive_pistol_101_mcfg_8sep12.html

If that suggestion was too subtle, get out of your mother's basement and spend the day with the ACT guys -- you'll get a lot more out of it than reading on INGO all day. Obijohn will be gentle with you.

Top Bottom