• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I just roll my eyes about it because I worry less about the ones that were caught, and more about the ones that haven't been. A good friend of my wife was molested by an uncle for years, and it went unreported for a long time in part because he threatened her, and partly because no one believed it at first when she finally spoke out (he was a "good Christian" type that "wasn't capable of it"). Always be vigilant, but never fail to follow up on anything, even with your own relatives.

A family member was molested as a child by her older cousin. She told her mom about it and her mom punished her for lying. This was 40 years ago. To this day that woman bitterly resents her mother, and of course the cousin.
    I can't do much about these I don't know about, but thing is criminals don't just "change". I don't have the scientific statistics but a lot of crimes are committed by repeat offenders.

The thing is, when we hear a sex offender is living in our neighborhoods our first thought is "child molester". And we panic. This guy (or gal?) probably did more than just pinch someone's ass. But there's nothing in the definition of sexual battery that would make me panic and fear for my kid.

My daughter was attacked when she was out celebrating her 21st "B" day. Idiot picked on the wrong female. He was carted off in an ambulance. He was charged with assault but served no time. We keep tabs on him.
    Children are vulnerable. Teens and up not so much if we make them aware that A$$ bags exist.

:yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A family member was molested as a child by her older cousin. She told her mom about it and her mom punished her for lying. This was 40 years ago. To this day that woman bitterly resents her mother, and of course the cousin.

:yesway:

So many idiot parents are in denial. They do not want to deal with these issues.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I think they are more notorious for pleading down a B or C felony to a D just so they get an easy conviction and don't have to do all the work an actual trial would entail.

Well the lobbyists for sex offenders are up and at em.... I am out of here.
    No one's lobbying for sex offenders. Good grief. I thought you were better than that.

the list is stupid. It means nothing, or next to nothing, when it comes to protecting oneself. And it sure as hell doesn't stop any crimes.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So what you were 18 and your girlfriend at the time was 17 and her dad found out and decided to press charges. Now that dad has all but ruined the guys life. .

Also not illegal.

I've always found the sex offender registry to just cause a whole lot of panic over nothing. Sure, there are some real creeps out there, but there are also some that aren't necessarily bad people. What about the guy who took a girl home only to find out later she lied about her age? What about the guy who had sex with a woman who for some unknown reason cried rape afterward? These things happen. Sleeping with random women may be kind of icky but it shouldn't be a crime.

This doesn't even take into account that a lot of the information is incorrect on the websites you find. I used to live right next door to not one but three sex offenders in the same household (supposedly). Funny thing though...they didn't live there. It was a sweet little old couple with no children and no family to speak of.

Lying about her age is a defense if one would reasonably believe it. While false convictions may exist, there's a lot more to a successful rape prosecution than "that guy raped me."

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wow. 12 within a 2 mile radius of my house. yikes! And quite a few of the photos dont surprise me one bit. At least two I envision driving in a van with the words "free candy inside" scrawled on the side.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So many idiot parents are in denial. They do not want to deal with these issues.

It's really sad and I think back in those days a lot of parents tended not to want to believe those kinds of accusations. The mom is still very non-confrontational. The cousin got away with it and the mom still doesn't believe it ever happened. Needless to say the daughter never goes to family reunions.

No one's lobbying for sex offenders. Good grief. I thought you were better than that.

the list is stupid. It means nothing, or next to nothing, when it comes to protecting oneself. And it sure as hell doesn't stop any crimes.

THIS ^^^

Knowing that an actual child molester lives near you is useful information. The list accurately providing that kind of information is not realistic.

A sex offender is registered down the street from me. I know that the guy who really was the sex offender moved more than a year ago. But the address is still listed. So if people in my neighborhood go no further than the star on the map, it might be pretty easy to think some pretty bad things about the people who live there now. THAT's not useful.

Wow. 12 within a 2 mile radius of my house. yikes! And quite a few of the photos dont surprise me one bit. At least two I envision driving in a van with the words "free candy inside" scrawled on the side.

iknowright. It's like they all have the same mugshot and they always seem to wear the same kind of glasses.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I'm more concerned with someone coming from outside my neighborhood with ill intent. Last my 3 year old son was playing in the front yard while I was working in the garage, not in direct sight from the road. I notice this old beat up van come strolling down the street, it looked like a van used by general labor workers nothing out of the ordinary. Then as the van got to my house it slowed to a snails pace which caught my attention. I stopped what I was doing to notice the driver starring and my son. At this point I immediately come out of the garage to make my presence know, once the driver caught a glimpse of me he drove off. Who knows what the driver was doing or thinking but it was enough to remind myself that even though I live in a "good" area that anything can happen at anytime.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Or out four wheeling on the power line cut up around Morse Reservoir in the 80's. Actually in someone's backyard is what the deputies told me. They did let me go with a stern warning thankfully.
    It's certainly a nasty title. When most people hear, "sex offender" they probably relate that to... like, child/pedo stuff. (Put those sickos on a shipping container and sink it for all I care)

But you can literally become a sex offender for taking a **** in an alley because your junk is out and exposed in public...

With that said, I'm in favor of proper classification of what the person actually did to get that label. (And thankful I never got caught walking home from bars in Bloomington where I just couldn't hold it till I got home to take a leak!)

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I was bored tonight after putting my kids(1 and 3yo) to bed. and I did an online SO search and damn it, there's one lives 6 housed down the road.

convicted of sexual battery in 2002, released in 2003 after serving 730 days of 3-year sentence, w/ 1-year probation.

registration started in 2003 and still active. he has lifetime type registration never expires.

I don't think any of my immediate neighbor knows about the situation since we talk to each other very often and nobody had mentioned it. there are a lot of small kids live around us.

I'm gonna talk to them tomorrow and at the same time, I wonder what normally people do when they found out.

my next door is a special deputy of MCSO and 2 houses up is a state trooper, I don't know if they can dig out that guy's rap sheet.

Congrats, your property value just went down. I hate when that happens.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I'm more concerned with someone coming from outside my neighborhood with ill intent. Last my 3 year old son was playing in the front yard while I was working in the garage, not in direct sight from the road. I notice this old beat up van come strolling down the street, it looked like a van used by general labor workers nothing out of the ordinary. Then as the van got to my house it slowed to a snails pace which caught my attention. I stopped what I was doing to notice the driver starring and my son. At this point I immediately come out of the garage to make my presence know, once the driver caught a glimpse of me he drove off. Who knows what the driver was doing or thinking but it was enough to remind myself that even though I live in a "good" area that anything can happen at anytime.

While stranger rape/molest does happen, the VAST majority if sex crimes are perpetrated by someone who has made a personal relationship to the victim. IMO, the people who pose the biggest threat are those that are just a little too friendly without good reason. The biggest enabler for them is people's unwillingness to be rude.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I always like to let the sex offender know that I know he/she is a sex offender. They tend to behave themselves when people know their past. There was one at a school event to see his daughter unfortunately for him i have a very good memory when it comes to POS like him and i let him know what i know. He ended up leaving in cuffs due to all kinds of violations.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    just something to keep in mind...peeing on a tree can get you labeled as a sexual offender

Yet another example of someone who doesn't need to be on "the list". I know two people on it who shouldn't be. And contrary to what some might say, they are NOT bad guys. They're not rapists or child molesters. They got caught up in some bad stuff. They should have been smarter about what they were doing and with who but they had no idea they were doing anything even remotely criminal. Sorry but if I met someone in a BAR who told me they were 22 I would probably believe them.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    But it is something people like to bring up to argue that sex offenders are mostly lovable misunderstood guys.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I seriously thought this thread might have ended with post 56.

But it is something people like to bring up to argue that sex offenders are mostly lovable misunderstood guys.
    No one's taking it that far and you know it. The point being made is that like everything in life it's not black and white; there's nuances and few people do get caught in the cogs of justice.

I can't begin to realize what trauma you and your family may have went through, but understand we've left the days of cross burning and tar and feathering behind. Do like others have said - stay viligent and mind your own business. And remember, attacks don't always come from the direction you expect.

I can't believe I'm with GT88 and GPIA7R on an issue. (wait, shooter? :dunno:)

Top Bottom