• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • birdwing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Lowell
    I just finished putting together my new Remington 597. It is sitting in a Boyde's "tacticool" stock that I finished with walnut stain and about 4 days worth of tung oil. The optic is a Vortex that I got from AA optics, great service by the way. I can't wait to get this thing out to the range!

IMG_20121004_161031.jpg

birdwing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Lowell
    I'm guessing that is laminate from the looks of it. Which laminate was it, how well did it take the stain, and what was your process? I know alot of guys opt for dyes over stain with the laminate wood.

I'm not exactly sure what type of wood the stock is, the description just said it was a hard wood laminate. The stain absorbed in the end grain areas more heavily than the rest of the stock, but overall it took pretty evenly. With the tung oil finish I'm hoping it will continue to darken with age.
    I would have to say that the most important step was a tip I picked up from a youtube video. During the first coats of stain the grain of the wood swells and stands up a bit. So, during the final coat I wet sanded the entire stock before the stain set. The sanding dust and stain fill in all the pores in the stock and make it smooth as glass.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    Ohhh your not finished yet,

Get yourself target hammer and buff it down you can get close to 2 lbs with a good polishing thats if you want the pull that smooth.. if not leave the new hammer alone,

and new extractor.

free float that barrel, they say its free floated but can you slide a piece of paper under the barrel? no?

After doing these little mods i went from 1.5 to 1 inch groups to stackers. you wont be disappointed.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...appier_and_happier_597_owner_update_rant.html
    :yesway:

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I was just looking at that stock on MidwayUSA. I decided to keep it in mind for later.

For now I'm going to work with what I have. Already have the target hammer (previous owner installed), next is the extractor, some polishing of parts and free floating the barrel like in Docv73's YouTube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/docv73/videos?query=597

I'd like to get this bad boy to Stacker status!

Top Bottom