• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Decided to head back up to my hometown last night to do some cat-fishing but was in need of bait so myself (OC'ing G23) and my buddy stopped off at the local IGA Supermarket to get some cubed steak and chicken liver and from the time I walked in the door to the time I left, I guarantee the police were called at least more than once.

We had to pass all the registers to our right (I'm right handed) so I know all the cashiers (all 3 of them - female) saw the G23 on my hip when we entered because it was like time froze for about 20 seconds until we made our way to the meet counter in the back of the store. Every eye in the store turned toward us and nobody said a word.

We got our items and now it was time to check out. All the other registers were now closed except one. Two of the female cashiers and the cart boy (male- aprx. 25 years old) and the manager (male- aprx. 60 years old) were all huddled over in the corner talking amongst themselves, two of which had cell phones in their hand and kept looking back at us standing in line to checkout. The cashier was as friendly as could be with the 3 people in front of me (asking how their day was, making small talk and whatnot), but then it was my turn to check out, she didn’t even make eye contact. She scanned my items, didn't bother telling me my total, held her hand out (if she had a glass of water in her hand she would have spilt it, she was shaking that bad). I handed her a $20 bill, she handed me back my change and I told her to have a nice day and she almost p****d herself...haha.

We headed out to my truck followed by the cart boy (talking on a cell phone) and I swear it felt like I just robbed a bank or something. It looked like he was attempting to get my license plate and I did my best to back up and head out the backside of the lot so he wouldn't be able to. Knowing the police up in my hometown (minus the chief and lieutenant that I know personally and are family friends) the rest of the department remind me of the Andy Griffith Show and it would have been a mess if I got pulled over (not to mention it would have made me late to the fishing hole).

[FONT=&quot]Oh how I don’t miss my hometown… [/FONT]:laugh:

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    My hometown isn't crazy like that :D I was in a car accident a year ago and the responding officer asked me if I was going to shoot him and chuckled. I've never seen anyone freak out and reach for their phone, but I guess I'll never know unless the police show up.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    people are so STUPID. like you have to have a gun hanging on your side to be a bad guy, lol. like the guy above said, like a robber is gonna walk in showing you he has a weapon in his holster before he robs you, lol. well to the OP: BIG PROPS TO YOU FOR THE OC!!!! hopefully if the dumb store manager did call the cops they told him to get bent! and informed him of the laws of the land.
    thats one F'd up town i guess. most small towns are more relaxed and use to gus i thought

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I would have been fine up until I was being followed by a cart-boy. I'm not one to be confrontational, but if I DO have a problem with someone following me, cowering in fear on a cell-phone, and trying to get my license-place number. Stay away from me, and while obtaining my LP# is does not constitute a "search" per the SCOTUS, I find it plenty invasive.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    I'd like to see twenty OC'ers show up and do a Coca-Cola run. Twenty Cokes, twenty "howdy, ma'ams," twenty decent OC interactions. She's probably just young and from a family that "doesn't believe in guns."

This was at an IGA? That's a rural grocer. I'm pretty sure I've seen ammo at an IGA.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    Sounds like a missed oppertunity to educate some people about OC. I would have at least told the cashier to relax, I have a licence to carry a gun, and the state of Indiana allows us to OC. Next time someone OC's in there, they will react the same way. They probably think they averted a robbery by using their cell phones.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    So, let me get this straight. You decided to go fishing and needed bait and since you had no cash, you decided to intimidate a local grocer into 'giving' you the needed materials. After casing said store, you and a friend performed a tactical entry, found the bait (chicken livers rule BTW) and on your way out, you decided to pistol whip a shaky cashier. After leaving you were chased by a 'cart-boy' and in your effort to escape, you ran him down.

Dude, you are my fishing hero. I would fish with you any day.

PLEASE, OH PLEASE SEE MY ATTEMPT AT HUMOR BY MY UNRESTRICTED USE OF THE COLOR PURPLE!!!!!

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    What town did this happen in, so I know to avoid it?

It happened in Frankfort (southeast of Lafayette). Since I graduated High School and moved down to Indy, the crime rate in that town sky rocketed. If I wasn't in a hurry to get to the fishing hole before the next batch of rain came through I think I would have just waited around to see if the police showed up.

I'm kind of hoping the cashier that checked me out realized every "guy with a gun" isn't a bad guy. I was friendly and told her to have a nice day after the transaction and I don't think she expected that.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Not to be a jerk, but do you think this experience was good for the folks working at IGA? Do you think they learned anything?

I guess they probably have no idea that it is legal to OC and probably were just left feeling terrified from the whole encounter.

BTW, I totally support everyone OCing. I just wonder if a situation like this helps or hurts our cause.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    So, let me get this straight. You decided to go fishing and needed bait and since you had no cash, you decided to intimidate a local grocer into 'giving' you the needed materials. After casing said store, you and a friend performed a tactical entry, found the bait (chicken livers rule BTW) and on your way out, you decided to pistol whip a shaky cashier. After leaving you were chased by a 'cart-boy' and in your effort to escape, you ran him down.

Dude, you are my fishing hero. I would fish with you any day.

PLEASE, OH PLEASE SEE MY ATTEMPT AT HUMOR BY MY UNRESTRICTED USE OF THE COLOR PURPLE!!!!!

Yes that is EXACTLY the way it went down and no I didn't catch anything :xmad:

Sounds like a missed oppertunity to educate some people about OC. I would have at least told the cashier to relax, I have a licence to carry a gun, and the state of Indiana allows us to OC. Next time someone OC's in there, they will react the same way. They probably think they averted a robbery by using their cell phones.
    It was a missed opportunity but like I said, I was in a hurry to go fishing. And honestly I think if I started out by telling her to relax she would have passed out and collapsed to the floor. lol

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Not to be a jerk, but do you think this experience was good for the folks working at IGA? Do you think they learned anything?

I guess they probably have no idea that it is legal to OC and probably were just left feeling terrified from the whole encounter.

BTW, I totally support everyone OCing. I just wonder if a situation like this helps or hurts our cause.

In my opinion (other than being in a hurry to get to the lake before it rained again) I think it ended rather well. I could have explained to her everything I was doing was legal but she could have taken that for what it's worth. I had on blue jeans and a t-shirt and looked like your average non-criminal. I was friendly and told her to have a nice day and she went on to helping the next person in line. Knowing I had a gun and I didn't pull it out and demanded her for all the money in the register I think the next time either myself or someone else walks in there with a gun on display she will be a lot calmer knowing that not everyone that carries a gun is out to kill.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I open carry at my local IGA all the time. I've only gotten one look, but nobody has EVER noticed me carrying. But if anyone ever said anything or looked afraid, I know I'd educate them. I think anyone who open carries needs to do that, even if you are in a hurry. I think it should be the open carrier's responsibility. But that's my :twocents: anyway.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    I have this terrible habit of looking at both sides. Only reason I can think of for all of them to react the same way,,is if an armed robbery had happened recently. You mentioned crime skyrocketed after you moved away. They did seem to have a contingency plan.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Yeah. Never had that problem. I OC 99% of the time. Most people ignore me (which is the norm on the north side of indy). But I'll often will have people ask me for help with things like directions, car trouble, the time (apparently a gun = a watch) lifting heavy objects ect. A few will ask me about it and carry rights in general.

The real only annoyance I have run into while OC'ing are pro 2a people wanting to come jab my ear off right as I am trying to get somewhere.

I guess its all about how you carry yourself in public. Having a generally friendly demeanor helps. Make sure to meet peoples eyes with a smile and nod. Don't look down or shuffle. One thing that you wouldn't expect it your posture. Walking with your head high and with your back straight really does affect people's perceptions. A little "swagger" in your step never hurts either. Like my grandfather use to tell me, Move with purpose and pride and everyone you meet will respect you.

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    It happened in Frankfort (southeast of Lafayette). Since I graduated High School and moved down to Indy, the crime rate in that town sky rocketed. If I wasn't in a hurry to get to the fishing hole before the next batch of rain came through I think I would have just waited around to see if the police showed up.

I'm kind of hoping the cashier that checked me out realized every "guy with a gun" isn't a bad guy. I was friendly and told her to have a nice day after the transaction and I don't think she expected that.

Can't believe it happened there. I have some family from there and all the times I visited it seems there had been enough good ole boys around to not even give a second look if they saw someone with a gun. How times have change. I have a good idea on why crime has skyrocketed there.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I open carry at my local IGA all the time. I've only gotten one look, but nobody has EVER noticed me carrying. But if anyone ever said anything or looked afraid, I know I'd educate them. I think anyone who open carries needs to do that, even if you are in a hurry. I think it should be the open carrier's responsibility. But that's my :twocents: anyway.

I agree with the rep I just received there isn't enough time in the world to explain the laws to every single person an OCer interacts with. If she would have asked (or anyone for that matter) in a hurry or not I would have stopped and explained to them what our rights as a citizen is. Instead, I was nice, told her thank you, smiled, doing my best not to make her more frightened, and just went on with my plans.

Yes it would not have surprised me any if that IGA was previously robbed given the area/side of town it was on... more of a reason for me to carry. They did have a plan, that was plainly obvious and hopefully the police did arrive after I left to explain to them no crime was committed. People anywhere and everywhere pull things way out of perspective... I went in, purchased my items and left - but in their eyes I went in with guns a blazin, demanding the purchase of my chicken livers and ran outa there like there's no tomorrow. :D

Top Bottom