• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Just came in from Atlantic. Love the finish so far, but the wood is pretty flaky looking. I've always loved the all tactical black polymer furniture look. What are everyone's suggestions on doing her up? What do you run? Pics??

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    And one more ?... when cleaning for corrosive ammo, what is the correct procedure? Heard windex should be involved

CarnageRush

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harrison County
    And one more ?... when cleaning for corrosive ammo, what is the correct procedure? Heard windex should be involved

I pour boiling water down the barrel, through the gas tube, gas block and rear sight block. Then I clean normally. There's a topic on corrosive ammo.

My '74's. I like both the plum and black furniture. The plum is US made KVAR furniture. I want to get a set of Russian plum or a Russian wood set of furniture for the fixed stock '74.

5b51X.jpg

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I pour boiling water down the barrel, through the gas tube, gas block and rear sight block. Then I clean normally. There's a topic on corrosive ammo.

My '74's. I like both the plum and black furniture. The plum is US made KVAR furniture. I want to get a set of Russian plum or a Russian wood set of furniture for the fixed stock '74.

5b51X.jpg

Those are some BEAUTIFUL AK's

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    While ammonia does a good job of neutralizing the primer salts, just flushing the firearm with lots of warm water will wash the corrosive salts out nicely.

I made the mistake of asking my daughter, a chemist what is up with ammonia to clean corrosive salts. In a nut shell she described a chemical reaction between the ammonia and the salts that neutralizes the corrosiveness. I am not a chemist so that is the best I can do in explaining. :D

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    While ammonia does a good job of neutralizing the primer salts, just flushing the firearm with lots of warm water will wash the corrosive salts out nicely.

I made the mistake of asking my daughter, a chemist what is up with ammonia to clean corrosive salts. In a nut shell she described a chemical reaction between the ammonia and the salts that neutralizes the corrosiveness. I am not a chemist so that is the best I can do in explaining. :D

Good enough for an internet forum! :laugh:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Here she is. The wood looks much worse in person.

You can always refinish the wood. I suggest you keep it. At some point you'll want a wood/bakelite AK. This usually occurs after watching Red Dawn. I have the same furniture and refinished it with RIT Dye and it looks pretty good.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    You can always refinish the wood. I suggest you keep it. At some point you'll want a wood/bakelite AK. This usually occurs after watching Red Dawn. I have the same furniture and refinished it with RIT Dye and it looks pretty good.

Trust me lol I've seen it! Very very disappointing ending.
    And if Bakelite mags weren't absurd right now I'd buy some

bhowell34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Greenwood
    i"m thinking about getting one of these. Do you think they are still worth it at the $800 price point? Or should I wait for them to fall in price?

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    i"m thinking about getting one of these. Do you think they are still worth it at the $800 price point? Or should I wait for them to fall in price?

I have my doubts whether they will ever fall in price. Parts are in short supply and if some in Washington have their way they will ban the import of those parts.

Top Bottom