• ...and so much more!
  • jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Nice pistol slacker.
    I've been wishing for a 1911. Your pictures are pushing me toward the RI.
    Congrats on the great deal. We'll be looking for you at FNS single stack.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Glad to hear you are happy with it. I've been thinking about picking one up and building a semi-MEUSOC pistol out of it for competition and carry. I'm currently without a .45 1911 and miss them! I do have a few extra mags around. If you want to pick some up locally, let me know,

Doug K

ps the failure to go completely into battery is usually either a new or very dirty gun. I bet yours will 'loosen up' a bit after a few more mags.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    2 times where the slide did not return all the way forward, with a slight tap it slid the rest of the way forward. could just need a little breaking in.

I had some occasional FTF issues a while back. The extractor tuning on the page below solved my problems.
    1911 Reliability Secrets

I certainly would put a few hundred more rounds through it before messing with anything. Possibly, in the meantime, those more experienced than I would chime in on this.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    I know you didn't ask, but you might want to reconsider your solution to your problem. Extra power firing pin springs aren't just for liability reasons. They're a legitimate (and in my opinion necessary) safety feature to reduce chance of discharges if the gun is dropped and it happens to land on its muzzle.

If you need a harder hit on the primer, you should consider a strong mainspring. That's the spring that stores energy for the hammer itself.

You may also have a dirty or rough firing pin channel.

Rhino,
    AS I stated it was a VERY heavy spring , I think I know the difference, I've worked with enough 1911's and have a few spare springs to know when I have one that is super heavy compared to others that are not.

Farmritch

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    That is a sharp looking .45. :yesway:
    I've never seen a satin Rock Island. I've got a RIA compact that I enjoy and plan on carrying as soon as I break it in. RIA is definetly a lot of gun for the price.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    I have one that I purchased recently as well. It is going to be a base gun for some future mods.

The gun had 1 FTF in the 1st 100 rds, and 2 since in the last 500. So far, I am pretty impressed.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I field stripped it last night for my first time. not quite as simple as the glock, but still pretty easy. I guess 1911's like lots of lube, this thing was dripping with factory oil, i cleaned it all off and oiled it according to this article

oiling2.jpg

I was amazed by how dirty it was after only 100 rounds. kind of like my 10/22. i guess the wet oil catches all the crud. my glock has almost 1000 rounds through it and there is no build up since it has that red lube from the factory on it still.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    Slacker, I think Rock Island over did the lube. I would tell people to clean and relube before they shoot it.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I just oil any point where 2 pieced of metal touch. Also run a line of lube down the recoil spring. If you are concerned about the firing pin spring then buy a new stock recoil spring. Everyone should keep an extra stock recoil spring about and when you order one it will come with a new stock firing pin spring. I use either ISMI (an IN company) or Wolff.

Keep in mind too that most all handguns arent really broken in until the 3k round mark.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Take it apart and completely dry it out.

Get a rag and lightly soak it with your lube of choice.

As you reassemble the pistol, wipe each part with the lubed rag. This will protect against rust and lube the internal surfaces all they do need lubed.

After the pistol is together, put a drop of lube on each frame rail, and one where the hammer strut joins the hammer.

That's all you need.

RIA tolerances are loose and anything more is overkill.

During the world wars, US soldiers would dry lube their 1911 pistols by coloring on the frame rails with a pencil. The graphite provided plenty of lube, the guns didn't suffer, and the dry graphite did not attract dirt and grime.

Josh <><

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I have brought it to the range twice so far and put 150 rounds through it. after the first trip and a good cleaning and proper oiling I have not had any other problems. I really enjoy shooting this gun, I can get some nice groupings with it.

I will have to try it out at MCF&G's bowling pin match when it gets a little warmer.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bball4life1234
    Top Bottom