• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My wife got a similar jury form to fill out and mail back recently. Filled out the stuff that was required by law and sent back the rest blank, with a note stating the Indiana Code, and saying that if they could show her the law requiring her to answer the rest of the questions she would do so.

Crickets.

Nobody wants an educated juror who can't follow simple (unlawful) instructions.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Write "no habla" on it and they'll probably leave you alone. :D

That or write extensive position papers on each question and write, "see attached".

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I got a survey here in Clark Co. but it didn't ask very many questions at all, just, do you have a problem with sitting in judgement of another person? that was about as prying as it got. I really wouldn't have much of a problem answering those questions, though, because just about all of it is something they could easily find out if they wanted, and probably already know anyway.

I look at it this way, if I'm ever brought before a jury, for ANY reason, I want as much thought put into the selection process as is humanly possible. Yes, the justice system may be screwed, but it's the only thing we have right now, and knowing as much as possible about a potential juror benefits not only the prosecutor, but the defense as well.

I would just answer as honestly as you can, and forget it, it's not worth the big deal they can make it into.:twocents:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I have yet to break any laws. The only thing I am guilty of is pissing off a clerk. I am not really worried. But if anyone wants to contribute to my pending legal bills feel free to PM me.

I would be cautious. If you believe strongly about not answering then write down that you are refusing to answer and why. I would caution against lying or doing something aimed at making them angry as that may backfire and provide the grounds needed to make you miserable. Remember; judges have broad authority to punish you and near absolute immunity for actions taken from the bench. If you are serious about not answering, stick to your guns and don't answer but don't go beyond that. You may still get into trouble but at least it will be for your beliefs.

Last edited:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    That being said, I would find it an honor to serve on a jury. I got called up for it once... I was not picked. I was looking forward to it. They never called me back after I contacted them and said I was willing and able to meet at the courthouse. I drove from Cincinnati, OH to Columbus, IN and was told thanks but no thanks.

O2guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    MSG2
    If your feeling this strongly about not answring questions you feel moraly opposedto then don't, but remember as Eddie said stand your ground politely.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    "Prying"? "None of your business"? What has you so wrapped around the axle, home?

homeless, if you were on trial wouldn't you want to inquire as the backgrounds of potential jurors? Is this not the purpose of voire dire to speak the truth so the parties know where you are coming from?

Is not having a fair and impartial jury free of bias toward or against the defendant the point of the Sixth Amendment?

You cite the Fourth Amendment, but how is it unreasonable to ask questions to ensure a fair trial? If you were on trial, would you not want to ask questions?

If you are embarrassed by a question, simply ask the judge for a side bar so you can answer outside the presence of the other jurors?

If you really really really want to get out of it just tell them that

*Sigh*

Why is it that those with anti-government stances always run and hide from jury duty? One would think they would be first in line to serve?:D

Oh, well, a girl can dream.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    Kirk,

The problem is that this is a form that was mailed to me. I can't exactly look at the judge and ask to answer the questions in closed chambers. Most of the questions I would answer for the Judge and the Attorneys choosing the jury, but I have a slight problem with them compiling information about me into a list for the governments use.

Furthermore I may be Anti-BIG-Government but I am not Anti-Government, and I am not hiding from jury duty. I have absolutely no problems fulfilling my civic duty to serve on a jury, but this questionnaire is bull****.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I was asked those similar types of questions under oath while under consideration as a jury member for a murder trial. I was asked about whwere I kept guns, how many I have, etc. I replied that I preferred not to answer such questions in a public forum where it could comprmise my security. The judge allowed my answer of a non-answer to quite a few questions.

When it came time for the actual selection I was summarily dismissed by the defense attorney on the first round. tToo bad because it seemed like it would have been an interesting trial.

I agree with your decision. I wouldn't want to disclose personal information in a room full of strangers either. Just because someone is called for jury duty doesn't mean they aren't crooks.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    All you have to do is show up to jury duty wearing an inflammatory t-shirt with any seemingly fringe group (the more offensive, the better) and you won't be selected.

Yeah, cause judges like when people do stuff like that. They invite you over to their house. Oh, no they don't. They send you straight to jail until your quippy little saying rots off your shirt. Don't believe it? I've seen it done.

Kirk,

The problem is that this is a form that was mailed to me. I can't exactly look at the judge and ask to answer the questions in closed chambers. Most of the questions I would answer for the Judge and the Attorneys choosing the jury, but I have a slight problem with them compiling information about me into a list for the governments use.

Furthermore I may be Anti-BIG-Government but I am not Anti-Government, and I am not hiding from jury duty. I have absolutely no problems fulfilling my civic duty to serve on a jury, but this questionnaire is bull****.

Then just don't mail it back. Lose it. Say it got lost if you're asked. You've told the truth. But calling the clerk and spouting off and coming out to brag about it is not real smart. Just sayin.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

O.K., so, the problem in the questionnaire, or the secret database that the court is compiling with Haliburton and the *whisper* C . . . F . . . R?:D

Are you worried that the clerk of the court is maintaining a database to spy on what will be discussed in open court? What's the problem with the questionnaire?

Does it calm you any to know that the questionnaires are destroyed after two years and appellate process likely over? http://www.in.gov/judiciary/orders/rule-amendments/2005/admin-r1;5;7;9;10;14;16-070105.pdf

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Invasion of privacy.
    Hobbies in free time? Sports you're involved in? Membership in clubs or church? Volunteer activities? Occupations of others in your household?
    Come on...that's B.S.

Actually not. Say they are putting together a pool for a trial related to a theft from a church. They want to know if you're a church elder, or if your wife is a curch secretary or not. They can kick you from the pool straight away, without you having to go in and waste a day.

Besides, courts have much wider latitude to ask probative questions when seating a jury. Your rights under the 4th amendment are severely limited if non-existent.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Besides, courts have much wider latitude to ask probative questions when seating a jury. Your rights under the 4th amendment are severely limited if non-existent.

Would you call suspending the Constitution the small government, conservative position?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Invasion of privacy.
    Hobbies in free time? Sports you're involved in? Membership in clubs or church? Volunteer activities? Occupations of others in your household?
    Come on...that's B.S.

How is a fair and impartial jury B.S.? Is it not what the Sixth Amendment demands?

I demand the government respect my rights . . . but not if I actually have to do anything.:rolleyes:

Let's see, if only Kirk could come up with some relevant example of how this may impact someone on a gun board . . . come on, Kirk, think . . . oh, yeah, how about if you were on trial for . . . Murder and you "claimed" self-defense.

Would you want to know if anyone in the jury pool was:

1. A Quaker?
    2. A volunteer for Million Moms of Brady?
    3. Had a hobby of shutting down gun ranges?
    4. Had a job with Violence Policy Center?

Would any of this be relevant to a shooting in self-defense, Jet?

What's all this concern with the Fourth Amendment? Do people mean the Fifth Amendment?:dunno: Is someone afraid of being asked something incriminating?

Top Bottom