• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    They don't use Voter Registration anymore... I'm sure it's probably listed on Indiana's website somewhere but this is the first instance I found.

Welcome To baclocal4.org!

JURY DUTY IS NO LONGER DETERMINED BY VOTER REGISTRATION FILES
    JURY DUTY SELECTION IS NOW MADE FROM BMV AND INCOME TAX RECORDS
    (EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2006)
    Source: Judge John J. Pera, Chair
    Indiana Supreme Court Jury Pool Project
    (Northwest Indiana Times, October 24, 2005)​

Probably because they got tired wasting so much time trying to contact all those dead Democrats!!!! :laugh: :lmfao::whistle:
    :cheers:

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Ugh!!
    Dear Juror #34,
    Here are invasions of privacy that we require you to report upon that violate your civil liberties and rights, specifically your right to privacy:

How many people are in your household?
    What are their ages?
    What are their relationships to each other?
    What are their occupations?
    What is your marital status?
    What is your level of education?
    What is your employment?
    How long have you been so employed?
    What did you do before that?
    Have you ever been charged or convicted of a misdemeanor? Explain.
    Have you ever been charged or convicted of a felony? Explain.
    Has anyone in your immediate family been convicted or served time? Explain.
    If so, how did you view your/their treatment by the judicial system?
    Financially, what is your annual household income?
    What hobbies do you enjoy in your free time?
    What magazines do you subscribe to?
    What newspapers do you subscribe to?
    How much television do you watch?
    What sports are you involved in?
    Do you have membership to any club, church, or organization?
    Do you participate in any volunteer activities? Explain.

Oh how I'd love to send this back:
    Dear jury selection committee;
    I am so excited to serve on a jury. I'm a firm believer in jury nullification, and I'm sure that whatever BS law you've charged the defendant with breaking, it's unconstitutional and in need of nullification. See you in court!
    Sincerely,
    A.

First off, I LOVE your avatar pic! Trust the monkey! That's the best!

If I wanted to get out of jury duty, I would sure use that response.

Seriously, are those really the questions on the questionnaire? I think I'd be found in contempt for refusing to answer.

One thing great about Indiana is that jury nullification is right there in Article 1, section 19 IIRC. Too cool.

The bad thing is that I almost certainly will be kicked off of any jury I'm being considered for simply because I will not lie about anything just to get on. And I would bet regardless of my Indiana constitutional rights, a judge will not seat me. Nor would the prosecutor let me serve.

And that's a serious shame. We need principled folks serving on juries. It's not something I would ever try to get out of. And if I get on, I intend on watching the state's behavior like a hawk.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Seriously, are those really the questions on the questionnaire? I think I'd be found in contempt for refusing to answer.

On the Hamilton County questionnaire, they ask you if you're a resident, ever been a felon, etc. Only about 10 questions, and they were all directly related to your juror eligibility. There was only one question that I feel didn't belong on there and it was the names, ages, relationship, and occupation of the other members of your household. I feel that's completely irrelevant to being a juror.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I was jury foreman on a DUI case. I could have gotten off but wanted to serve and did not take an easy out. 2 day case. When we went to deliberate one juror enters the room and announces, "I don't care what any of you says, I will not find him guilty, ever!"

I thought, "Oh, boy, this is going to be fun..."

We convicted on one count of DUI, acquitted on another. It was quite the experience. I would do it againt

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm waiting to be called for the rest of this calendar year. I'm thinking "they" might not have liked my answers to the questions.

I would truly enjoy being a part of an actual exercise of jury nullification. It's the only real power we retain, and opportunities for exercising it are too few.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    *sigh* Well, I received my summons to jury duty today. I have to report next month to the county court house.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    *sigh* Well, I received my summons to jury duty today. I have to report next month to the county court house.

I've got a jury trial coming up soon for a Bank robbery that happen 16 years ago, maybe it'll be that one. I'll be the one with the why in the hell am I here look on his face. :cheers: :ingo:

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    :+1:

Ditto, but mine was a murder trial. I was fresh out of high school and loved the feeling of service. Our defendant earned himself 75 years in June of 1985. Somehow, he was eligible for parole as of March of 1992, though he is still incarcerated with a projected release of December 2012. His maximum sentence is June of 2060, though since he's 46 now, I don't think it too likely that he'll make it to that day. I'm somewhat incredulous as it is that he'll be out as early as they say he will!

Blessings,
    B

I was lucky enough to serve on a federal jury. The topic... drug trafficking. The guy we nailed to the wall was a MAJOR supplier of coke in Indiana. I actually got to hold 15 kilo's of coke in my hands... that was something I'll probably never get to do again! I'm very glad I did it, and enjoyed the experience. It was different, educational, and not something you get to do every day.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I had a federal jury questionnaire a few months back. I would have liked to been chosen and served, but I was not in any physical shape to do so.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Thanks! :D

Yes. I copied those questions line by line in the order you see them.

Annie, were these questions from the attorneys who were trying to weed out the selected jurors and widdle them, down to the mighty dozen? They ask questions like that all the time in order to get to know where your head might be at in regards to the case. I'm a little surprised they sent it to you in written form instead of asking you directly in the courtroom, but maybe things are different now.

But I don't blame you for not wanting to answer them. I don't think I would.

HobbyGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Newburgh
    I served for 7 weeks on a triple homicide that was retried in Warrick Co. We weren't sequestered. That would have been brutal. I am currently in a Federal pool, but haven't been notified to appear. It is an interesting process.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Over the last 10 years or so I have been called 4 times. I made it to jury selection once, but was dismissed. It was a drug/gun case, and I answered honestly when asked if I owned a firearm. Go figure.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    On the Hamilton County questionnaire, they ask you if you're a resident, ever been a felon, etc. Only about 10 questions, and they were all directly related to your juror eligibility. There was only one question that I feel didn't belong on there and it was the names, ages, relationship, and occupation of the other members of your household. I feel that's completely irrelevant to being a juror.

It's not. They need to screen to make sure they exclude relatives and employees of parties & attorneys involved in the case.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Annie, were these questions from the attorneys who were trying to weed out the selected jurors and widdle them, down to the mighty dozen? They ask questions like that all the time in order to get to know where your head might be at in regards to the case. I'm a little surprised they sent it to you in written form instead of asking you directly in the courtroom, but maybe things are different now.

But I don't blame you for not wanting to answer them. I don't think I would.
    That was straight of the "prospective juror" paper that came in the mail.

Top Bottom