• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    I wonder what would happen if they tried to get ahold of someone for jury duty, but they had the wrong address or something and couldnt get ahold of the person. I wonder if the person would be punished in some way...

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You know what worked for me for decades? DE-register after voting. I never got called.
    Then one year I forgot to do that, and served on a criminal trial. It was a thoroughly good experience.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I wonder what would happen if they tried to get ahold of someone for jury duty, but they had the wrong address or something and couldnt get ahold of the person. I wonder if the person would be punished in some way...

If, on the off chance they decide to track you down, you have a good reason for not responding and the judge buys your excuse, then not much. If the judge doesn't buy it then you could be held in contempt.

Rarely happens, but it can and does from time to time.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Jury duty. What a joke. They try to make it sound like its an honor or something.

Not an honor, but it is a duty. Yeah, it can be a PITA, but it's also one of the better basis we have as citizens to provide a check on government persecution of citizens. It sucks when you are on a jury for some petty civil suit, but it's vitally important when it's the government trying someone for a crime.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    There have been instances where the judge has gotten torqued and sent deputies after people who don't show up to drag them into court. Judges have also been known to jail folks for not showing up.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Not an honor, but it is a duty. Yeah, it can be a PITA, but it's also one of the better basis we have as citizens to provide a check on government persecution of citizens. It sucks when you are on a jury for some petty civil suit, but it's vitally important when it's the government trying someone for a crime.

Forcing people to perform work against their will is persecution.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Those unwilling to serve on a jury should not be eligible for a jury trial should they find themselves facing criminal charges. I'm all for creating an "opt out" program.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Those unwilling to serve on a jury should not be eligible for a jury trial should they find themselves facing criminal charges. I'm all for creating an "opt out" program.

Good idea Cory.... I think that'd keep people from complaining about jury duty. I've been called before, it's not the end of the world.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I was "honored" to serve on a jury. It was a great experience. I truly felt like I was doing my civic duty.

I was also the foreman of the jury.

I really don't know why folks hold jury duty in such disdain.

It's kinda like voting to me.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I was "honored" to serve on a jury. It was a great experience. I truly felt like I was doing my civic duty.

I was also the foreman of the jury.

I really don't know why folks hold jury duty in such disdain.

It's kinda like voting to me.

If you get paid by the hour(at your job), then I'd say that's a good reason to hate it...Still doesn't make it right to dodge it though.

While I think it's your civic duty to serve on one when called, I think it should be more balanced...Last year my Mom got called for jury duty 4 times in a matter of months. I think that's BS.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom