• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I need my man card revoked. (dad card is at no risk) I read the title and thought, "hmm, is that Dr. Seuss's son?" quicker than I could realize "no you idiot, Seau, not Seuss!"

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I didn't even know about the car accident but that makes sense I hope that they can use his brain to help solve whatever he had and help future players.

I think the only thing that is going to solve this issue is getting rid of the NFL. Players are getting bigger, stronger and faster. It's only going to get worse, no matter now many new nanny rules they incorporate.

I need my man card revoked. (dad card is at no risk) I read the title and thought, "hmm, is that Dr. Seuss's son?" quicker than I could realize "no you idiot, Seau, not Seuss!"

Yes, turn it in at the door when you leave.:):

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think the only thing that is going to solve this issue is getting rid of the NFL. Players are getting bigger, stronger and faster. It's only going to get worse, no matter now many new nanny rules they incorporate.

I hate to agree, but the way the game is played now, they can't get rid of the head injuries. The way these guys train and are armored up they are human missiles. I heard coach Ditka make an interesting point a few years ago, to paraphrase he stated the best way to get rid of the serious concussions was to change the equipment. No...not safer helmets, but the smaller thinner gear they used in the old days. He contended that if guys went out there with a leather helmet and minimal shoulder padding that it would greatly change the game back to a tackling league vs. the high impact collision league it is now. :dunno:
    To further the point, during the recent lockout I often heard an eye opening statistic that NFL players had the second shortest life span of any profession...second to only professional wrestlers. Research what has happened to the members of Pittsburgh's steel curtain teams and it will be surprising at how many of them have met a premature demise.

...anyway RIP Junior

Boiler1529

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Nwi
    Nah, these guys shoot themselves in the chest because they want science to study their brains. Like how Dave Duerson shot himself in the chest to preserve his brain.

Poor guy couldn't stand the pain and ringing in his head anymore. He traded his body for his living, it's going to add up and you have to be superhuman to endure the continual pain.

That pain causes personality changes (a la Phineas Gage) and depression. He was too proud or too ashamed to get help and decided that this was the only way out. Horrific tragedy.

I heard this on the radio as well. I didn't know he drove his car off a cliff a couple years ago. Sad that some people can't adjust after doing one thing for their entire lifetime. Made me think of shawshank redemption.

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Who would want to shoot themselves in the chest?
    I don't know how true this is, but I've read that men who shoot themselves usually do in the head and women who shoot themselves usually do it in the heart. If true, the implications of that is fascinating, considering the differentiation of reasoning and emotion between the sexes.

mizzi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    Women do it to save their face... Vanity even in the face of death.

Seau didn't tell us why, although the obvious assumption would be the same as Duerson's.

Linebackers and lineman experience an impact on nearly every play. They say running backs wear out from the repeated hits, the marginal differences that make a great running back are lost. With lineman and linebackers, creating that big hit is their skill. Modern day gladiators...

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I hate to agree, but the way the game is played now, they can't get rid of the head injuries. The way these guys train and are armored up they are human missiles. I heard coach Ditka make an interesting point a few years ago, to paraphrase he stated the best way to get rid of the serious concussions was to change the equipment. No...not safer helmets, but the smaller thinner gear they used in the old days. He contended that if guys went out there with a leather helmet and minimal shoulder padding that it would greatly change the game back to a tackling league vs. the high impact collision league it is now. :dunno:
    To further the point, during the recent lockout I often heard an eye opening statistic that NFL players had the second shortest life span of any profession...second to only professional wrestlers. Research what has happened to the members of Pittsburgh's steel curtain teams and it will be surprising at how many of them have met a premature demise.

...anyway RIP Junior

I do think that going backwards in technology for the helmets MIGHT change things. If the players didn't have a false sense of safety regarding their brains, they'd not be as likely to lead with the head. Seau was a solid tackler and things happen and people get hurt but far too many players don't worry much about fundamentals anymore.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Everyone needs to keep a level head when it comes to all this being the result of concussions...

There is simply NOT enough of a sample size.

It is ALL SPECULATION at this point. And it is intellectually dishonest to blame football and/or concussions.

I'd venture that the suicide rate for retired NFL players is right in line with that of the general population.

Yes, most all suicides are tragic. I'll not debate that.

sampo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Owen County
    I don't understand why someone would commit suicide and shoots themselves in the chest? You'd think they would put a .45 in the mouth or under the chin? In the chest? that needs to be thoughly investigated. I guess I've been advising these suicidal freaks the wrong way to kill themselves. :dunno:

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I definitely agree with the earlier post about him possibly keeping his brain in one piece to be able to have it studied.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Let's not rush to drink the media kool-aid regarding the "it has to be because of the football hits" nonsense. The media has a vested interest in sensationalizing this story to maximize its profit potential. Duerson, Seau, others....they all had problems that had nothing to do with their involvement with the NFL. Countless thousands played the game and did not commit suicide. Understand why the media needs this "CTE" nonsense and you can then see that you should ignore it.

Seau is dead because he had issues totally unrelated to football. Period.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I don't understand why someone would commit suicide and shoots themselves in the chest? You'd think they would put a .45 in the mouth or under the chin? In the chest? that needs to be thoughly investigated. I guess I've been advising these suicidal freaks the wrong way to kill themselves. :dunno:

Not a fan of reading other posts before responding, eh?

Top Bottom