• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Republicans are always forced to nominate someone that is "mainstream" or the democrats will threaten to filibuster. On the other hand, the republicans will bluster and fain outrage but always seem to wind up "taking the high road" on the dem's nominations. Is it any wonder folks are supporting Trump? They're tired of being told: "just get us the Senate and then you'll see results"...then being told: "just get us the House. Without the House, we just can't get the stuff done we all want to get done"...now they're telling us: "We're powerless without the White House".

Meh! I guess with a republican in the White House, at least there's a 30-40% chance they'd replace Scalia with another one kind of like him. That's better than a 100% chance of replacing a Ginsberg with another one.

^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. And you'll note it's like Ground Hog day on doing something about abortion. We elect them to drastically limit and then end the killing of the innocent and they do everything else but. Then when it's time to get re-elected in two, or four or six years its 'Return me to office so I can complete the job of ending the scourge of abortion'. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's partly our fault for being that gullible

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Republicans are always forced to nominate someone that is "mainstream" or the democrats will threaten to filibuster. On the other hand, the republicans will bluster and fain outrage but always seem to wind up "taking the high road" on the dem's nominations. Is it any wonder folks are supporting Trump? They're tired of being told: "just get us the Senate and then you'll see results"...then being told: "just get us the House. Without the House, we just can't get the stuff done we all want to get done"...now they're telling us: "We're powerless without the White House".

Meh! I guess with a republican in the White House, at least there's a 30-40% chance they'd replace Scalia with another one kind of like him. That's better than a 100% chance of replacing a Ginsberg with another one.

^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. And you'll note it's like Ground Hog day on doing something about abortion. We elect them to drastically limit and then end the killing of the innocent and they do everything else but. Then when it's time to get re-elected in two, or four or six years its 'Return me to office so I can complete the job of ending the scourge of abortion'. Wash, rinse, repeat. It's partly our fault for being that gullible

Exactly! I seem to recall hearing all the hype, including having it fed to me in person by Dick Armey, followed up by 6 years of W in the White House, along with R control of both House and Senate, and we got jack sh*t. No, I have not forgotten this, nor have I forgotten Newt's highly-touted and quickly forgotten 'Contract with America', nor do I trust any reheated version of any of the above.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Exactly! I seem to recall hearing all the hype, including having it fed to me in person by Dick Armey, followed up by 6 years of W in the White House, along with R control of both House and Senate, and we got jack sh*t. No, I have not forgotten this, nor have I forgotten Newt's highly-touted and quickly forgotten 'Contract with America', nor do I trust any reheated version of any of the above.

You don't have to look any further than Indianapolis to see its current iteration and results. At least we did get a few things like the school parking lot thing passed before their spines completely melted away.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The Republicans just seem to want to play the role of lovable loser. The Dems have the Senate, suspend the rules, invoke the nuclear option, tell Republican to Eff Off and then do whatever the hell they want. The Republicans get back in, take the high road, get rid of the nuclear option, go back to the collegial rules of the Senate and then kowtow to the Dems and Obama. At one time, it was sort of accepted that if a judge was well qualified, then the Senate would confirm him. Then Reagan appointed Bork and the Dems went wild. They will not stand for a conservative Justice, yet the Republican still adhere to the old idea of confirming most anyone that a Dem President appoints. Maybe that has indeed changed now... It reminds me how this country did not believe we were at war with terrorism until 9/11/01 when it has been ongoing for decades.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The Republicans just seem to want to play the role of lovable loser. The Dems have the Senate, suspend the rules, invoke the nuclear option, tell Republican to Eff Off and then do whatever the hell they want. The Republicans get back in, take the high road, get rid of the nuclear option, go back to the collegial rules of the Senate and then kowtow to the Dems and Obama. At one time, it was sort of accepted that if a judge was well qualified, then the Senate would confirm him. Then Reagan appointed Bork and the Dems went wild. They will not stand for a conservative Justice, yet the Republican still adhere to the old idea of confirming most anyone that a Dem President appoints. Maybe that has indeed changed now... It reminds me how this country did not believe we were at war with terrorism until 9/11/01 when it has been ongoing for decades.

I doubt it. I'd like to believe so but I really don't. Wasn't if McConnell that said if he needed to get support to get re-elected, he'd start talking about introducing a law to ban flag burning and it worked? This is just the new version.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You don't have to look any further than Indianapolis to see its current iteration and results. At least we did get a few things like the school parking lot thing passed before their spines completely melted away.

Very true. What this tells me is that the Rs need to lose that supermajority and be put into a position where they have to work to get what they want and live in fear of getting kicked to the curb.

What I gather from this is that both are owned by the same people, and the owners understand that so long as we have some bad theater going on in which one side pushes the evil agenda and the other postures and at most holds the status quo (never mind that the Rs frauded us all the way around with RFRA 2.0 which was the original goal), then no one pays attention to the man behind the curtain and believes that elections mean something and that the damage can be undone when, without a major paradigm shift, the damage CANNOT be undone.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

What REALLY bothers me about this is this. My idea of SCOTUS is it functions as the final arbiter of what's CONSTITUTIONAL. It's right there in black and white and a justice's idealogical bent SHOULD NOT influence that determination. How did we get where we are today?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    What REALLY bothers me about this is this. My idea of SCOTUS is it functions as the final arbiter of what's CONSTITUTIONAL. It's right there in black and white and a justice's idealogical bent SHOULD NOT influence that determination. How did we get where we are today?
    Just having this opinion would make you a right wing extremist and unqualified to sit on the Court.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well. The court has evolved to be what it is. It is a panel of partisans who mostly vote party lines on a given case. So instead the US being a nation of laws, we are essentially a nation of the SCOTUS majority party. I guess we've been witnessing the logical conclusion of that for the last few decades.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013

Immediately after Scalia died there was a piece by a nationally syndicated columnist in the Indy Star that went on and on about how Justice Scalia didn't represent the author or anybody else that he knew. The thing that really struck me was the realization that the author was completely serious about his expectation that a supreme court justice should literally be a representative for a particular group.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Immediately after Scalia died there was a piece by a nationally syndicated columnist in the Indy Star that went on and on about how Justice Scalia didn't represent the author or anybody else that he knew. The thing that really struck me was the realization that the author was completely serious about his expectation that a supreme court justice should literally be a representative for a particular group.

Schools and parents have failed to teach what the government is. Not all. But enough that we are here.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I think he's going to go for a wise, female person of color.

"Therefore, the third quality I looked for in a judge is a keen understanding that justice is not about abstract legal theory, nor some footnote in a dusty casebook. It’s the kind of life experience earned outside the classroom and the courtroom; experience that suggests he or she views the law not only as an intellectual exercise, but also grasps the way it affects the daily reality of people’s lives in a big, complicated democracy, and in rapidly-changing times. In my view, that’s an essential element for arriving at just decisions and fair outcomes."

In other words, another activist.

The Republican establishment will cement America's view of them by capitulating.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think he's going to go for a wise, female person of color.

"Therefore, the third quality I looked for in a judge is a keen understanding that justice is not about abstract legal theory, nor some footnote in a dusty casebook. It’s the kind of life experience earned outside the classroom and the courtroom; experience that suggests he or she views the law not only as an intellectual exercise, but also grasps the way it affects the daily reality of people’s lives in a big, complicated democracy, and in rapidly-changing times. In my view, that’s an essential element for arriving at just decisions and fair outcomes."
    In other words, another activist.

White House has already created a Twitter account called "SCOTUSNom", and Mark Knoller reports they will be doing a high-pressure push to get public support for Senate confirmation of the nominee.

Top Bottom