• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Yes, the Federal Premium Hangun (000 Buck) is copper plated, 4-pellet. I think it will fair better than the Winchester.
    Also, I've BEEN using a custom load from a manufacturer named Paraklese Technologies. VERY similar to the new Federal, but they use a VERY hard alloy instead of copper plating.
    BTW- Paraklese is an INDIANA based, Christian run company!:patriot:

I'm looking forward to hearing the results of your tests. I've still got some of the paraklese stuff myself from when I had my judge. And I'm still hoping to buy another someday.

ace1627

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2008
    Neat gun. I bought one for myself. Snub nose is what makes this gun great. I have several for sale if anyone is still looking for one.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Ok finally shot it today. Shot Wincehster .410 Super Speed Xtra 6 shot and Remington .410 Slugger Riffled Slugs.

From 10 yards
    Winchester 6 shot- The shot spread the entire target. If this had been a intruder, it would have spread from the waist to head, shoulder to shoulder. Dont think it will be deadly but should make someone think twice about their actions.

From 15 yards
    Remington Slugs-Keep all center-mass within a 3" group or less leaving devestating wounds to the target. Until i get the buckshot, this will be the HD round in it.

Haven't been able to find any 45LC and the Federal 000 4 pellet so i wasnt able to try those.

BTW i have a Judge Public Defender.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've got about 8 milk jugs, a box of the Federal Premium Handgun
    000 buck, and a 4" barreled "Judge" Ultra-lite" waiting for this weekend.
    I'll let you know
    O.K. I did a VERY rudimentary field test of my Taurus "Judge" 4" barrel "Ultra-Lite" for HD purposes.:popcorn:

I tried two different ammo manufacturers, both in 2-1/2" .410 one in "000 Buck", the other "0000 Ultra-Buck".

First I tested for penetration.
    Targets were 4 milk-jugs, filled with water, taped together in a line, with one layer of insulated underwear (long-johns), and one layer of medium weight denim (blue lean leg), taped to the front of the target to simulate a shirt and blue-jean jacket.
    From a distance of 7 yards (21'), here are the results,

Paraklese Technologies '0000" Ultra Buck (.375" ball, 75 grain) 3 balls per round. Advertised at 1200fps, and 725FPE:)
    Paraklese passed through three jugs and penetrated the fourth, but did NOT exit. Of three pellets, only one hit the target on first shot, two on the second, and subsequent shots.

Federal Premium .410 HANDGUN "000 Buckshot" 4 pellets (copper-plated) advertised at 1200 fps
    Federal Premium passed through ALL FOUR JUGS, and a 1/4" sheet of plywood (Luan):rockwoot:

Next I shot for pattern.

Paraklese= 5 shots- average about 8-10" pattern at 21':xmad:

Federal Premium= 5 shots average ONLY 4" at 21' !:wow: All four pellets VERY tightly grouped!
    The Federal Premium is, in my opinion, just that. Premium defensive handgun ammunition!
    16"+ of penetration, INCLUDING CLOTHING, that's PLENTY proof for me:yesway:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Now that's pretty cool. I am impressed with the Federal load. Did you recover any of the pellets from the Federal stuff? Were they compressed or deformed in any way? :)
    Unfortunately no. I couldn't find the Federal pellets. I guess it will take more of a backstop. Next time I'll try 6-8 milk jugs in a row to make SURE I catch one!

I DID recover pellets from the Paraklese, and I was really surprised to see how little they deformed. There was no more than a 3/16" flat spot on opposite sides of the pellet. I'm sure this was from compression in the barrel, as I could NOT find any apparent rifling marks.
    Don't get me wrong, I think the Paraklese stuff would be devastating to be shot with.
    I just think the Federal is better. :twocents:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Federal Premium= 5 shots average ONLY 4" at 21' !:wow: All four pellets VERY tightly grouped!

I wonder how Federal accomplishes this kind of pattern out of a short rifled barrel. Seems like magic to me.

Did you recover any wadding? If so, about where was it in terms of distance?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    No I did not recover the wadding, but I didn't look for it either. I was NOT at a range, rather out in a field that had knee high weeds.

I did, however, cut one of the federal rounds apart and found that the pellets are in a sabot sleeve the entire length of the round.
    I don't know how they managed this tight a pattern. I was just as amazed as you seem to be.
    I would NOT hesitate to trust my life to it, at least in a short range (HD) type situation.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I wanted a Judge...

...until I figured out I could buy a Hi Point .45 and a good used 20 gauge shot gun both for the price of the Judge.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    No I did not recover the wadding, but I didn't look for it either. I was NOT at a range, rather out in a field that had knee high weeds.

I did, however, cut one of the federal rounds apart and found that the pellets are in a sabot sleeve the entire length of the round.
    I don't know how they managed this tight a pattern. I was just as amazed as you seem to be.
    I would NOT hesitate to trust my life to it, at least in a short range (HD) type situation.

Thanks for the report. The Federal ammo sounds awesome. Now what am I going to do with the 100+ rounds of Winchester I've been stockpiling? :dunno:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom